Root Category "button" missing

Someone please help.

I am trying to add new Root Category as explained in User Guide, but the button shown on attached screenshot which is taken from the user guide is missing. I just downloaded and installed the latest version. 1.5.6.1

FTL

post-734452-0-71633000-1386155720_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

That is correct in 1.5.6.1 the create root category is only displayed in Multistore. Without multistore,  Root category is by default when you place it under Home.

If you don't want home displayed in the default top menu bar, go and configure the top horizontal menu module and move the Home to the left side and the Parent categories to the left (TIP, don't move the subcategories to the right side, they will display automatically when you hove over the tab)

I hope this helps, thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Presta 1.5.6.2

My Home category has been renamed from Home to Products.  When I edit an existing Category under products(home) and click save, the category I have edited is moved to the Root of categories.  The menu that allows you to edit parent categories is unavailable.

To resolve I rename the modded category to old.  I then have to create a new category under products(home) and add all the relevant details.  This new category remains under products(home)I then have to go to all the products on the old category and change the association to the new category, then change the default category to the new one.

This is really, really painful.  Is there any way around this?

Oh, Enabling multistore does not bring root or category options back to the original category edit page.

Edited by emosolo (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

The same issue, i cant edit old categories, when i try to edit and save old Product category which is in Home category. It moves to Root categories. Any help ?

Presta 1.5.6.2

My Home category has been renamed from Home to Products.  When I edit an existing Category under products(home) and click save, the category I have edited is moved to the Root of categories.  The menu that allows you to edit parent categories is unavailable.

To resolve I rename the modded category to old.  I then have to create a new category under products(home) and add all the relevant details.  This new category remains under products(home)I then have to go to all the products on the old category and change the association to the new category, then change the default category to the new one.

This is really, really painful.  Is there any way around this?

Oh, Enabling multistore does not bring root or category options back to the original category edit page.

Unfortunately I ended up creating new categories for everything and transferring my products manually.  My inventory was not that huge and it only took a few hours.  As part of the change, it would have been nice to see a move all function without having to muck around with the category listings in mysql.

I have restored database and checked it before editing any category, seems after update in one category field: id_parent was changed from 2 to 1 and field is_root_category was changed from 0 to 1. i have set them back, and now when i edit category in BO, it do not become as new root category.

Is this way to fix this issue good and do not harm any other data?

Thanks

D

You won't be changing the URL. You rename the old category and make the new category the correct name. If you move your products within a time period of a week or so, your ranking will not be effected.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem.

I restored the table ps_category from a sql copy and everything went right.

But then, I tried to change the positions of the categories and I found a category as a root again, even without saving changes, just clicking on the position arrows.

Restored the table again and everything OK, I now can even change the positions. 

I really don't understand anything...

Ok, I think I finally fixed it (I hope)

In my case the affected categories were main categories within home category, they become root categories after saving changes.

Solution:

- Go to phpmyadmin and find the table ps_categories

- Restore the table ps_categories (if you have a previous copy of DB). 

- In the affected categories, put the fields like this:

• is_root_category = 0
  • level_depth = 3 (home level is 2, so my categories should be under it)
  • id_parent = 2 (home category index)

After this, everything was OK and I could make changes and save them.  :)

I hope this can help others with the same issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

In my case the affected categories were main categories within home category, they become root categories after saving changes.

Solution:

• is_root_category = 0

It worked for me. My problem was after testing import CSV categories with forced IDs and deleting older structure. I was using MultiStore.

Edited by snowmousepub (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Solution:

• is_root_category = 0

Thanks a lot, you saved my day!

i completely solved my issue disabling and re-enabling the problematic category after doing what you brillianty suggested.

Cheers

Edited by yog_sothoth (see edit history)

• 2 years later...