Develop website on Alpha ?

I am going to start a new project which will probably need about 2 - 3 months for full development and go live. Since I wasn't around the previous Alphas, what do some of you think about starting a new project (in house use, not a client) on the 1.6 Alpha? Some of me hates to start a new project on 1.5 when I know I will be migrating to 1.6 due to some of the new features of 1.6. But I also realize that changes can happen in a development cycle that might make something not work in the final release as expected. My only thought on that is that even a change from 1.5 to 1.6 later will require some adjustments, so why not just deal with them now in the development cycle. I also do not plan right now to incorporate any modules, but work with the core and add functionality later once closer to live.

Richard

Note that my post stated it is not a customer site, but an in house development. I am not looking to go live until a stable version is out, but I also am trying to avoid a double development of first doing a 1.5, then switch over 1.6 and regardless how "easy" that is supposed to be, there is a significant change in the design from non-responsive to responsive going from 1.5 to 1.6. I have no issues with bugs during development cycle, but since I have never been through the Alpha/Beta stages with PS, I don't also want to work on the development expecting a new feature to be present, but then in the final version it all of a sudden is removed for some reason. Some software developers have a huge habit of doing things like that when they can't get something to work. Maybe the better way to ask this question is has PS traditionally included all the Alpha/Beta new features in final versions or have there been last minute cuts of features prior to a stable release.

MDIPerformance, thanks for your post.

No, you should not develop on the Alpha version, nor the Beta version. Development should only start when the stable release is out and you have tested it thoroughly to see if it meets your development needs. 

In this case, if you must, must start a PrestaShop development right now, It would have to be on 1.5.6.1 and then you would need to upgrade to 1.6. 

In my opinion, it's  "easier" to develop on 1.5.6.1 and upgrade than to develop on an Alpha, unstable version. 

Look at our Github branch for v1.6, the PrestaTeam and PrestaShop Community members are updating this branch every hour. I don't know about you but Developing on something that's being worked on every hour or so seems a bit risky. https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/tree/1.6

MDIPerformance, thanks for your post.

No, you should not develop on the Alpha version, nor the Beta version. Development should only start when the stable release is out and you have tested it thoroughly to see if it meets your development needs. 

In this case, if you must, must start a PrestaShop development right now, It would have to be on 1.5.6.1 and then you would need to upgrade to 1.6. 

In my opinion, it's  "easier" to development on 1.5.6.1 and upgrade than to develop on an Alpha, unstable version. 

Look at our Github branch for v1.6, the PrestaTeam and PrestaShop Community members are updating this branch every hour. I don't know about you but Developing on something that's being worked on every hour or so seems a bit risky. https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/tree/1.6

Agree with Benjamin, at early you can start develop on 1.6 RC, hopfuly there will be RC.

I have moved all my current development projects(without issue) to 1.6 alpha...

the back office is a joy to work with...I can't go back now...

If you do have issues, you know who to contact!

However, we do not recommend developing any planned live website on the Alpha or Beta.

hint, there will probably be an Alpha 2 before a beta.

I think everyone will be delighted to know that testing is rigorous on the 1.6 version. We, along with our community members who test and submit feedback or pull requests, are working hard to make sure when we officially release v1.6, it is as close to flawless as possible. 

Thanks guys. 

If you do have issues, you know who to contact!

However, we do not recommend developing any planned live website on the Alpha or Beta.

hint, there will probably be an Alpha 2 before a beta.

I think everyone will be delighted to know that testing is rigorous on the 1.6 version. We, along with our community members who test and submit feedback or pull requests, are working hard to make sure when we officially release v1.6, it is as close to flawless as possible. 

Thanks guys. 

Benjamin, will it have "Release Candidate" RC version before final?

My main early development is really building a bridge between an inhouse database we use and organizing it to include the category structure to be used, HTML information for each category as well attributes and HTML descriptions for items and images. In essence I am not planning to do much work on the "front of the house" until everything would be stabilized. It appears to me that the underlying DB structure of 1.6a is fairly setup, so unless there is some sort of major last minute decision to rename tables, my thought for was that most of my sync work should not be impacted. I am not too worried about the front end yet. So that was my real motivation on thinking about just going with 1.6a. I am not looking to rewrite code to make something look better or work differently right now. I am mainly just working on getting my data all straight and then be able to keep it synchronized between our inhouse DB and the website.

Richard

My main early development is really building a bridge between an inhouse database we use and organizing it to include the category structure to be used, HTML information for each category as well attributes and HTML descriptions for items and images. In essence I am not planning to do much work on the "front of the house" until everything would be stabilized. It appears to me that the underlying DB structure of 1.6a is fairly setup, so unless there is some sort of major last minute decision to rename tables, my thought for was that most of my sync work should not be impacted. I am not too worried about the front end yet. So that was my real motivation on thinking about just going with 1.6a. I am not looking to rewrite code to make something look better or work differently right now. I am mainly just working on getting my data all straight and then be able to keep it synchronized between our inhouse DB and the website.

Richard

I am simply giving you the official recommendation. Use at your own risk, the Alpha, Beta, RC are not considered official stable releases. 

I understand the is always some risk. I have done much private Alpha and Beta testing on commercial accounting software. There are always some things that get changed around a bit over time. I realize it would have to be small steps so if something does get broken later, it can be easy to fix. I have to interested in getting my hands dirty before a final stable release on any part of the site that would really add to the function. But I do want to avoid some planning issues if there is a "we test this and that", but then leave it out later. I figure being more familiar with the new interface and new features will make it just easier down the road. I may work on some test ideas with real world product data once I get that part finished, but I wouldn't never be live. I figure it will take me at least 2 to 3 months just to do the data part, which included a lot of data entry as well.

I appreciate all the feedback.