How do I speed up my PrestaShop store?

First of all I'm wondering what is normal load time for PrestaShot 1.4.8.2 store? I know it's old but I don't want to upgrade it because automatic way doesn't work and I dont have time and nerves to set up all over in newer version. So, how can I make it lighter and faster?

My store is loading between 2 and 2.5 seconds and I have feeeling that this is extremelly slow.

I have changed all pictures from .png to .jpg eliminated all bad requests from code. What else can I do?
The most annoying is when I try to add article to cart. Sometimes it took few seconds before it is actually in cart. The animation of product leaving to cart is really slow. How can I fix that? Is there at least a way to switch off this animation?

I would like to know what are the right settings in Administration> Settings> Implementation? I have tried different settings but nothing can get my store loading time under 2 secunds.

Any proposal is welcome :unsure:

Just include css and js  in footer.tpl file..

This page has 9 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.
This page has 5 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
This page has 21 external background images. Try combining them with CSS sprites.

I am studying PS performance optimalization, this article is relevant to your question eventhough it is getting old...

http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/10-best-tips-to-speed-up-your-prestashop-store-3/

I have not made any sprites myself yet so I guess you have to google it and try and fail... Good luck and feel free to

post the best solution in this thread :)

Anyone have experience with Monitorix for performance monitoring?

http://www.monitorix.org/

"Monitorix is a free, open source, lightweight system monitoring tool designed to monitor as many services and system resources as possible. It has been created to be used under production Linux/UNIX servers, but due to its simplicity and small size can be used on embedded devices as well."