Updating Products Information via CSV Eats Up My Query Per Hour Limit

Hi All..

I have about 2,500 products and currently trying to update the category and UPC fields via import.

I'm referencing the reference # as my lookup and mapping the category and UPC fields using the standard import user interface functionality.

My csv files only have about 50 rows in each.

I can successfully complete an update with 1 csv file, but if I attempt to try another one within 1 hour, it will crash and not only I cannot get into the shopping cart site itself as a visitor, but not even the Admin screen until the 1 hour time frame lapses.

I have contacted my support people at ipage.com (at least 2x so far) and long story short, they are telling me that the way the import functionality is working, that it is eating up my '75,000 queries per hour limit'..

In their opinion they feel what your import functionality is doing is reading each row of my csv file and querying the mysql database.  Since I have 50 rows in a csv file and 2,500 products (50 x 2,500 = 125,000), then as you can see, I have hit my limit.  

They are not going to dive into the prestashop php code, but they did say that there are better optimal ways for query lookups and record update records... I'm reading between the lines and they are indicating that the import code that prestashop has created does not follow best practices in php code development against databases considering the limit that is set for my domain.

Anybody have a better way around this?  I have 65 files to go with 50 rows in it.. At this rate, it will take me all week to update my records.

Hi, there is a way to go around the server limits like this. The CSV import way is pretty standard and because you have so many products and queries, the limit is frustrating but not really common from my experience. If you are able to edit your php.ini you may want to read the php.ini blog post in my signature.

The way to go around this is to duplicate your store locally, import the CSV (locally you can have no limits) and then upload your site back to your live host.

Make sure to always complete a working backup before hand. Thank you!