[SOLVED] Firefox troubles: no cart refresh

sakiri

Hi everybody,

there are some related topics in this forum about this, but the solutions offered there don't work with my shop, so I thought I'd better start a new topic:

I'm selling digital goods and there is no need to sell/buy more than one copy of a file per customer, therefore I limit the quantity that can be bought to "1" and removed the +/- option; customers who want to change their cart have only one option: to delete an item from the cart.

Deleting items from the cart works fine with Safari, Opera and Chrome (Mac versions; Safari including iPad version) and IE8 (Win), but not with Firefox (Mac&Win!):

With Firefox the cart is adjusted correctly only "in the background", but the screen does not get updated/refreshed. While the compact view of the fly-out shopping cart summary in the header gets displayed correctly, the product stays visually in the cart in the main column cart summary (no matter whether a product was deleted in the main view or in the fly-out box):

post-637116-0-04367800-1384301237_thumb.jpg

You have to hit Ctrl+R or F5 to manually refresh the page to see the changes in the cart after deleting an item. I doubt customers will know they have to do this - unless I tell them.

I already tried to change the .htaccess file as suggested in other related topics, but the problem still persists. Therefore I thought of this (rather bumpy) "solution": check which browser the customer is using, and if it is FF, show an additional paragraph above the cart summary table telling the customer to manually refresh the page.

But I have not the slightest clue how to detect the browser (from within the .tpl file?).

Could someone please provide that piece of coding for me? (Or is there another, smoother solution for this problem, which I did not stumble upon yet?)

Thank you!

Edited by sakiri (see edit history)

I tried on several installs of FF (with and without addons); will give a try to safemode.

But even if all is fine in safe mode, this does not solve the problem ... there is no telling which addons are installed on my customers' computers!

And a javascript forced reload affects (and bothers) ALL customers, not only those running FF.

So I'd still rather have a "soft" solution, depending on the browser used on client side.

Help?

You can run the javascript force reload for FF only
But that's not a final solutions

FF safe mode is just a quick way to find out what is the problem, if in FF safe mode you didn't face such problem then FF add-ons was the cause
You may disable it 1 by 1 to find out what FF add-ons that causing the issue

other than that, there is something wrong with your theme files or modules files
share your web URL in here, so we can try it out

The above discussion did not help me one single step further. The cart does not get refreshed in safe mode either.

I still need to check which browser the customer is using (within the shopping-cart.tpl), and if it is FF, show an additional paragraph above the cart summary table telling the customer to manually refresh the page.

I only need the piece of coding that returns the browser used on the client side to / in a variable.

Could someone please provide that piece of coding for me?

Thank you!

Hi Sakiri,

This may help. (Although I do agree it's better to find the real cause, to get a 'fix' for the problem. For now however, maybe this works. You can make the refresh dependent on the browser instead of showing a message, of course...

Pascal

Forgot the link :-)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12089942/php-html-css-if-firefox-if-chrome-if-safari

Pascal

Edited by PascalVG
Link added (see edit history)

Thank you!

I "solved" it this way (for the time being):

{assign var='browserused' value=$smarty.server.HTTP_USER_AGENT}
{if (strstr($browserused, 'Firefox'))}
	<p>{l s='blablabla'}</p>
{/if}

Normally I would agree that it is better to find the real cause for the problem, of course. But there are a lot of topics in this forum discussing the very same issue, none of them showing a "true" solution. So I needed a work-around, instead of wasting my time trying to identify the real cause of an issue that people knowing much more about web-coding and debugging than me could not find...