Small item shipping

saynernz

Hi there! Hoping someone can point me in the right direction or has some advice.. I'll try to explain what we're after the best I can.

Our client is selling leisure apparel here in NZ to international customers. Alongside the clothing, there are also a small range of DVDs available. In the event that the customer only wants to buy one DVD, the client wants a small rate of $5 shipping for the single item. However, buying two of the same DVD or adding the DVD to an larger order of apparel will ideally spill over onto the next applicable carrier and the normal rates.

This discount is just for orders of single DVDs (maybe some other small items too), but definitely not for customers who only want to buy one apparel item or whatever - normal rates will apply there.

Any ideas or modules that might help?

Will this work?

Set up a separate Carrier (called for example DVD carrier)

Set up the weight (or price) range for that carrier so that it only matches the details of the DVD (for example, set the weight of the DVD to 1g, and then have the weight range for the carrier as 0.099 * 0.109 g).

Make it so that the carrier is disabled when outside those constraints

So 1 DVD in cart the weight of the cart would be 1g- The DVD carrier will be shown 

2 DVD's or 1 DVD and clothing and the DVD carrier will not be shown because the weight of the cart is not 1g

Don't really have to make a separate carrier for it, just the first step you can make (following the sample values of haylau) available for the DVD:

DVD: 1 gr (or 10, whatever you like)

Step 1: 0.000-0.002KG

Step2: 0.002-XXX KG   (XXX you previous end value of your old step 1)

Step3: XXX KG - ....

My 2 cents,

pascal