Video Tutorials for developers and designers - Conception

2noob2good

Hello,

I am new to prestashop and for the past days I've been reading a lot. Extensive documentation, nemo's videos which are really great but a bit focused on the front and backoffice rather then development.

I love the prestashop concept but the lack of examples and tutorials makes me think twice before going deeper into it. So far I don't have any client which needs 95% of all the prestashop features and that makes me think if I shouldn't do simpler solutions that would save me so much hours of studying a CMS such as presta.

I feel I already lost too much time but when looking at Nemo example I thought in doing something similar but focused on modifying the default theme to a very simple theme with all steps explained (I will even write to him hoping that he also helps me a bit).

Please note that it won't certainly be something as good looking as: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/236264-free-theme-niceclean-customizable-default-theme-skin-updated-0608/ and it isn't even the goal of the tutorial I am going to do. The goal will be: Teach how to do things and not exactly in how good the design will be.

Simple example that will be used for the tutorial and topics that would be approached

Goal - Shop with only 8 or 12 products to sale. Even if it has more they will all be listed in homepage. No searching needed.

1) Homepage should look like: (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33634740/homepage.png)

• Removing all unecessary modules (two ways: in backoffice and in files directly)
  • Hooks explanation: All existant hooks and creating new ones
  • Inserting a sticky bar at top (width is optional)
  • In this bar there would be external links floated left and cart floated right.
  • Inserting a background image
  • Inserting a logo anywhere (in this case in the middle for example)
  • Editing the main page width
  • Controlling display information and style: "Display 1" or "Display 2"
  • Editing footer: footer1, footer2 or non existant. With internal or external links.

2) Simple page: (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33634740/simple_page.png)

• for simplicity this would use the same layout of the homepage for a cms page, register, my account and so on...
  • in the tutorial I would also approach how to modify these pages.

3) Implementation of a generic payment solution like paypal and a more specific one to a certain country.

Note: I know that external links aren't good to use in a forum but I will keep the files there for as long as I can.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? It will give me a lot of work and I hope I can receive some help of the more experienced ones.

If there are already good video tutorial about this could you please point me to them?

• Like 1