Check if current user is in a certain group

viluletka

Hello everyone, 

I hope some of you can help on a topic that makes me struggle from a couple of days. I have already found 1-2 similar topics, but nothing worked for me. So let me explain what I am trying to do:

I have a customer group where I want to add these users which I consider loyal, so they use discounts on some products. That works great with "price rules".

But what I want is to print in the header info (near  username) the following:

1. If the current user is in the group "Loyal" - print message "You are a loyal customer and shop with discount" . 

So for this aim I need to check if the current is in this exact group.

Any help on how to accomplish that would be appreciated!

Thnaks in advance!

Hi Viluletka,

Short introduction: as you might know, a customer can be member of more than one group. There is a 'default group' that it belongs to, but it can also be member of other ones.

post-455771-0-29195600-1381179069_thumb.jpg

To get the default group (-id) of a customer, you can use the function:

public static function getDefaultGroupId($id_customer)

As y can see, it's a 'static' function, that means you don't need to create a customer-object first to use this function.
You normally use it as follows:
$customergroup = Customer::getDefaultGroupId((int)$id_customer);

Curstomer:: relates tot the CLASS Customer, so you use the Class to call the function, (not a created object.)

If you want to get all groups a customer is member of, you can use the function:
public static function getGroupsStatic($id_customer)

(as you see, again a static function, so you can use it like this:
$mycustomergroups = Customer::getGroupsStatic((int)$id_customer);

or, if you already have the $customer object, you can use this function (Which uses the static one, actually)

public function getGroups()

Which you use like this:

$mycustomergroups = $customer->getGroups();

all functions can be found in file: /classes/Customer.php

Hope this helps,

pascal

• Like 3

Hi pascal,

Thanks for the fully explained answer!

As a newbie in prestashop development,  I am wondering about where should I create the function (I assume in the override/FrontController.php..?) and should I pass it to smarty?

Thanks in advance, you have been very helpful!

Hi Viluletka,

Preparation:

Make a group "Loyal". Add any discount you want to give to the group

post-455771-0-83124600-1381254631_thumb.jpg

save the group and check the ID number of the new group:

post-455771-0-18139000-1381255219_thumb.jpg

Remember this ID number, as we need to use is soon.

Then prepare a test customer (login as a new customer if you don't have one):

Edit the customer and put the customer in de 'Loyal' group AND set default group to "Loyal"

post-455771-0-83124600-1381254631_thumb.jpg

Now the programming part: (Sample code from PretaShop 1.5.5.0)

Edit the file: /modules/blockuserinfo/blockuserinfo.php (Make backup first, just in case)

Find and add the red line:

$this->smarty->assign(array(
'cart' => $this->context->cart,
'cart_qties' => $this->context->cart->nbProducts(),
'logged' => $this->context->customer->isLogged(),
'customerName' => ($this->context->customer->logged ? $this->context->customer->firstname.' '.$this->context->customer->lastname : false),
'loyalcustomer' =>($this->context->customer->logged AND (Customer::getDefaultGroupId((int)$this->context->customer->id) == 4) ? true : false),
'firstName' => ($this->context->customer->logged ? $this->context->customer->firstname : false),
'lastName' => ($this->context->customer->logged ? $this->context->customer->lastname : false),
'order_process' => Configuration::get('PS_ORDER_PROCESS_TYPE') ? 'order-opc' : 'order'
));

Do you see the blue 4? Change this 4 to the ID number you still remember from above (i.e. the ID number of the "Loyal" group).

Save the file.

Then edit the file: /themes/<your theme folder>/modules/blockuserinfo/blockuserinfo.tpl.

(N.B. If this file doesn't exist, COPY it to this place (using this exact path!) from:

/modules/blockuserinfo/blockuserinfo.tpl )

So, edit the file (Make a backup, as always)

and find the code below and add red code: (Easy to find using Ctrl-F and search for 'Welcome' )

<p id="header_user_info">
{l s='Welcome' mod='blockuserinfo'}
{if $logged}
{if $loyalcustomer}<span id="loyal_customer">{l s='- You are a loyal customer and shop with discount - ' mod='blockuserinfo'}</span>{/if}

<a href="{$link->getPageLink('my-account', true)|escape:'html'}" title="{l s='View my customer account' mod='blockuserinfo'}" class="account" rel="nofollow"><span>{$cookie->customer_firstname} {$cookie->customer_lastname}</span></a>
<a href="{$link->getPageLink('index', true, NULL, "mylogout")|escape:'html'}" title="{l s='Log me out' mod='blockuserinfo'}" class="logout" rel="nofollow">{l s='Log out' mod='blockuserinfo'}</a>
{else}
<a href="{$link->getPageLink('my-account', true)|escape:'html'}" title="{l s='Login to your customer account' mod='blockuserinfo'}" class="login" rel="nofollow">{l s='Login' mod='blockuserinfo'}</a>
{/if}
</p>
</div>
<!-- /Block user information module HEADER -->

save the file.

What we did here is:

- if the customer is logged in, it checks if it is a "loyalcustomer". If so, it prints the sentence you wanted in the top header, next to the customer name. If not, it doesn't print this.

- The <span> around the text gives the possibility to add some css code to it (to make it bold, give it a background colour, change the font, etc. etc.).

- The {l s='<our text>'} gives the possibility to change the text in the Back office (Then go to Localization->translation, Installed Modules Translation, BlockUserinfo translations to do this)

All done?

Now reload your front page  (Ctrl-F5), login as the loyal customer your prepared and see if it works.

post-455771-0-93585200-1381256499_thumb.jpg

If you don't see anything yet, maybe try this:

You may need to (TEMPORARILY!!): 

- turn OFF your smarty cache and

- 'Template cache' set to "Recompile templates if the files have been updated"

in Advanced Parameters->Performance

to see the changes. (Don't forget to turn cache back ON afterwards!)

Then reload the page again (Ctrl-F5)

Hope this helps,

pascal

post-455771-0-73025400-1381254903_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great support!

Thank you so much, that did the job excellent!

Just one small add to the if conditions (in case somebody needs it).

{if $logged &&  $loyalcustomer} - print message "Loyal"

{if $logged &&  !$loyalcustomer} - print "Still not loyal"

Hope that this topic would be as useful to someone as to me.

Many thanks to pascal

• 7 months later...

Excellent piece of useful code that you can use a little bit of everywhere. In my case I put it in

ProductController.php here:

'ENT_NOQUOTES' => ENT_NOQUOTES,
'privilegedcustomer' =>($this->context->customer->logged AND (Customer::getDefaultGroupId((int)$this->context->customer->id) == 7) ? true : false),
'outOfStockAllowed' => (int)Configuration::get('PS_ORDER_OUT_OF_STOCK'),

So I can use it anywhere in the product.tpl, displaying different versions of the page depending on the default group of the user.

Thanks Pascal!

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...