Adding New Data Model to Prestashop

abhisek

Hello,

I am working on a travel agency site and somewhat new to PrestaShop. I am running PS 1.5.3.

I need to add "Destinations" each product. Destinations and products have a has-and-belongs-to-many relations. Admins should be able to add new destinations from admin panel. Then, while add/update products, admins should be able to attach destinations, just like they attach categories to products. This is just like custom taxonomy in WordPress.

I could use a separate root category called "Destinations" and add multiple destinations under the root category (e.g. London, Paris etc.) but I have a problem there. On the front-end I need to show top destinations. When users click on destinations links, a page with products of that destination comes up. And here is the twist: on certain destination's products page, I need to show categories of the products of that destination.

To better demonstrate what I am trying to achieve, here is the link to the html template I am working on: http://www.kajag.com/themes/book_your_travel/ [Please see the top destinations around the world] and here is destination's page: http://www.kajag.com/themes/book_your_travel/location.html

Now, I don't want to change any core files, if that is not extremely essential. I would like to develop a module to achieve it. Could someone please guide me how I may approach the problem? Some links to tutorials or guides would be very much appreciated

Thanks!

Okay, since no one seems to have any answer, here is what I did. It's just a workaround, not a perfect solution by any means.

I made new module called Destinations. This module lets admins add new destinations. These destinations are available on admin product add/edit page. The admins have the option to choose from the destinations available (which were added from module configuration page).

On the front-end, I am planning to show the destinations as a widget (i.e. a module). The major problems are:

1. I need to find the most popular destinations.

2. I need to find the lowest rates of products attached to those destinations.

Wish me luck! :-)

Okay, since no one seems to have any answer, here is what I did. It's just a workaround, not a perfect solution by any means.

I made new module called Destinations. This module lets admins add new destinations. These destinations are available on admin product add/edit page. The admins have the option to choose from the destinations available (which were added from module configuration page).

On the front-end, I am planning to show the destinations as a widget (i.e. a module). The major problems are:

1. I need to find the most popular destinations.

2. I need to find the lowest rates of products attached to those destinations.

Wish me luck! :-)

Good luck!...let us know how it your get on with this.