Modules in Addons with the same name

tuk66

I don't know if we write about the same problem.

Firstly, I think there is no 2 modules named "Facebook" so I don't understand your note and then named the module exactly the same as competitor's one is unfair business game in my world.

It is clear that adding M4 to the beginning of all your modules will certainly guarantee that the names will differ.  

Is your issue with modules of the same name? Or modules providing the same functionality?  Sometimes a module's name is chosen because it best describes the modules functionality.

For example, I can go to the store and purchase "whole wheat bread" from many different manufacturers.  Is it wrong that they all call it "whole wheat bread"?  If I pick "brand 1" off the shelf, but I meant to pick "brand 2", is it my mistake?  Or should I call the manufacturer and tell them they need to stop calling their product "whole wheat bread"?

• Like 1

Re-read my analogy, I already answered your question.  I will quote it here again for your reference

For example, I can go to the store and purchase "whole wheat bread" from many different manufacturers.  Is it wrong that they all call it "whole wheat bread"?  If I pick "brand 1" off the shelf, but I meant to pick "brand 2", is it my mistake?  Or should I call the manufacturer and tell them they need to stop calling their product "whole wheat bread"?

No, you are completely wrong. You can't make your own Ferrari brand because of trademark. There are no trademarks on PrestaShop module names (economic reason), it is only unfair to use the same. Name is name, not just a description. It is like brand, not bread.

• 3 weeks later...

Reads this forum someone from Addons?

There is laws mate, until you have registered trade mark of your module name, you can't complain about someone use it too. Take games for example, they are software too, most of the game names are registered trademarks like Battlefield, so noone can use it without their permission, its the same here, if you register your module name as trademark, noone can use it (at least in the country that you register it ). If ferrary is not registered trade mark, everyone can make cars and call them ferrary.

Edit:

And yes you can register trade mark for PrestaShop module name.

Edited by Dreamtheme (see edit history)

And no you can't, in reality.

PrestaShop modules is not a multi million dollar game. Many developers make only small amount of money with PrestaShop modules. It is not economical to register the name of a PrestaShop module.

So we can behave like animals in a jungle and eat one another, or we can behave decently and ethically. It is about unwritten rules and respect. My vote for the second way.

• Like 1