[Solved!] Order not showing up in back office after paying with Paypal

I upgraded to the Prestashop 1.5.5 and when an order is submitted it goes through with Paypal taking the payment but after the payment is made and the user selects the option to go back to my website the item is still in the cart and the order is not showing up in the back office.

If I do a free purchase where their is no need to take payment, the order shows up in the back office okay. Please help.

Edited by Amy (see edit history)

I upgraded to the Prestashop 1.5.5 and when an order is submitted it goes through with Paypal taking the payment but after the payment is made and the user selects the option to go back to my website the item is still in the cart and the order is not showing up in the back office.

If I do a free purchase where their is no need to take payment, the order shows up in the back office okay. Please help.

Hi Amy, what did you upgrade from? Which version? Also, what version of PayPal are you using? 

I don't remember the number. It was the previous version. I just started using it in May/June 2013. The paypal version is 1.2.5

Can you turn on error reporting. You can follow the instructions for your version here, let me know if you return any errors. http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/224525-how-to-turn-on-error-reporting-for-debug-information-500-error-or-blank-page/

Also, PayPal does not return as error for you as well? 

I don't know anything about computer programing so I'm not sure where the php file is that the link says to go in and change. Can you please let me know how to get to it in Prestashop?

I don't see any errors in paypal. The money got transferred into my paypal account without any problems.

I just reproduced the error. I tried to attach a file with the screenshots but it says I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file (it was a word document). In it you could see where paypal has accepted the payment. I click on the link that says to return to the website and the second screenshot showed that the items are still in the cart. When I go to the back office into the orders there are no new orders which was the 3rd screen shot. Where do I find the error messages because I didn't see any?

I'm trying to put the screenshot in here and it won't let me paste it. Is there a trick to getting it pasted?

If I just copy and paste without the screen shot this is what it says...

AdminInformation.gif List of changed files

Changed/missing files have been detected.
Updated files (7)
  • classes/Hook.php
  • modules/blocknewsletter/mails/en/newsletter_conf.html
  • modules/blocknewsletter/mails/en/newsletter_verif.html
  • modules/cashondelivery/cashondelivery.php
  • modules/cashondelivery/index.php
  • modules/cashondelivery/logo.png
  • modules/mailalerts/mails/en/new_order.html

This is the error I'm getting... Do you think it might be the problem. What is snagit? And where do I get it?

AdminInformation.gif Check your configuration

Required parameters: OK

Optional parameters: Please fix the following error(s)

• register_globals

AdminInformation.gif List of changed files
Changed/missing files have been detected.
Updated files (7)
  • classes/Hook.php
  • modules/blocknewsletter/mails/en/newsletter_conf.html
  • modules/blocknewsletter/mails/en/newsletter_verif.html
  • modules/cashondelivery/cashondelivery.php
  • modules/cashondelivery/index.php
  • modules/cashondelivery/logo.png
  • modules/mailalerts/mails/en/new_order.html

Not since this problem started happening. I had a hard time getting paypal to work in the first place which is when I hired someone to fix it. They fixed the paypal issue I was having but then the orders wouldn't show up. I can get "free" orders to show up. So it seems to be an issue between paypal communicating back to my website that the order was paid for. I've been afraid to uninstall paypal since I had so much trouble in the beginning with it.

Not since this problem started happening. I had a hard time getting paypal to work in the first place which is when I hired someone to fix it. They fixed the paypal issue I was having but then the orders wouldn't show up. I can get "free" orders to show up. So it seems to be an issue between paypal communicating back to my website that the order was paid for. I've been afraid to uninstall paypal since I had so much trouble in the beginning with it.

well..IMHO they did a horrible job fixing it...

With this information, i.e. we have some unknown changes to paypal of some sort, it is going to be difficult to help in a forum environment.

Did you tell the person you  hired that paypal was still not working properly?

• Like 1

Yes, but so far they have been busy and I didn't want to wait until Monday when they got back in the office. They don't really seem to know that much about Prestashop so I thought I might be able to find someone who knows more to go in and fix the problem. Do you know if you have to sign up for the whole year of service for prestashop to help you? I was hoping they went on a month to month basis.

Thank you! I will check it out!

I did find this in my log on the hosting page:

*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 13:47:07: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 14:31:46: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 14:33:39: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 14:33:45: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 14:36:24: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 14:42:06: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 14:42:08: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 14:58:36: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 19:56:11: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 20:54:17: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 21:04:27: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 21:12:16: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php
*ERROR*  2013/09/05 - 21:14:15: Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php

• Like 1

Sorry. I didn't mean to send a message. I saw you left the topic and was afraid you wouldn't see my post above. I saw bellini13 was offline and thought the above information might help to solve my problem.

There was also this error message from the day before the one I posted above (still during the time I was having the issue)

*ERROR*  2013/09/04 - 10:23:41: Property Advice->html is empty at line 874 in file classes/ObjectModel.php

Sorry...

I did do the test with the non-ajax cart and it did the same thing. Should I log out and clear out my cookies etc from the browser. The items where still in the cart from the last order so maybe the non-ajax thing didn't take???

You are very kind...and sorry I could not do more, but posting those error messages was very valuable, it basically states that the nbr of products passed was null and the cart was ajax.

I wish you all  the best and hope to see this problem topic 'solved' in the near future.

Note: please in the future, if you or someone else wants to make changes to your shop and/or upgrade, make sure you post here for community review and comment.

and learn ftp/phpmyadmin, so that you can  make your own backups  and restores.....back up OFTEN!

• Like 1

I have looked into this issue with Amy, and there are a few things happening here.

1) The website is using the new PaypalUSA module which requires the Paypal IPN to be received in order to create the order.  The website was in maintenance mode and therefore the IPN was not able to be processed, and therefore an order was not being created.  Taking the site out of maintenance mode allows the IPN to be received and the order gets created

2) The second issue is just a serious design flaw with this module.  The module does not consider that the customer can actually return to the website in advance of the module receiving the Paypal IPN.

Here is how this PayPalUSA module is designed to work

1) You click the Paypal link during checkout

2) You get redirected to Paypal

3) You sign in to paypal and submit the payment

4) Paypal sends an IPN (instant payment notification) to your website

5) Your website converts the cart to an order

6) The customer clicks the link to return to your website and sees the order history

However this is what can and will happen

4) The customer clicks the link to return to your website and the order does not exist (yet)

5) Paypal sends an IPN (instant payment notification) to your website

6) Your website converts the cart to an order

PS I would suggest that Prestashop redesign this module to account for this flaw.  Terrible customer experience issue.  Take it off the addons store and put the old one back up until such time that you can produce a workable module.

PSS: The recent changes on this forum are terrible.  I can't even use numbering or bulleting anymore?!?!?!

• Like 2

I have looked into this issue with Amy, and there are a few things happening here.

1) The website is using the new PaypalUSA module which requires the Paypal IPN to be received in order to create the order.  The website was in maintenance mode and therefore the IPN was not able to be processed, and therefore an order was not being created.  Taking the site out of maintenance mode allows the IPN to be received and the order gets created

2) The second issue is just a serious design flaw with this module.  The module does not consider that the customer can actually return to the website in advance of the module receiving the Paypal IPN.

6) The customer clicks the link to return to your website and sees the order history

4) The customer clicks the link to return to your website and the order does not exist (yet)

PS I would suggest that Prestashop redesign this module to account for this flaw.  Terrible customer experience issue.  Take it off the addons store and put the old one back up until such time that you can produce a workable module.

PSS: The recent changes on this forum are terrible.  I can't even use numbering or bulleting anymore?!?!?!

Hi Mike,

We appreciate the feedback about the PayPal module and we do work hard in marking a friendly ui/ux for our users who wish to use PayPal. We are open-source and always invite you to contribute to our code via Github. Here is the link for the PayPal USA module on Github. https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop-modules/tree/master/paypalusa

Regarding the Forum, we have updated the Forum software for better security and speed. However, there are still issues that we need to fix and they have been reported to the team. We thank you for your patience! 

• 3 months later...

What was the fix? Did you roll back to an older version of the PayPal module?

I'm having the same issue with items that are out of stock are allowed to be backordered.  If a customer orders an out of stock item we get the paypal notification from paypal but nothing in Prestashop.  I'm using Prestashop 1.5.6 and Paypal USA and Canada 1.2.7? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I don't use Paypal and have this error and it takes my site to 503 service unavailable, please help me fix with error

Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_676_1.MYD' (Errcode: 17)

Method is not defined at line 295 in file controllers/front/OrderOpcController.php

I am using Prestashop 1.5.6.1

• 7 months later...

I am facing same problem, she was facing. Do you think you can help me? 

I run currently multistore, I made a test on a store it was working fine, but someone bought from another store and it didn't work. The payment was processed but the buyer wasn't redirected to the website and her cart was still having her item, and my back-end doesn't show a sale. 

Very strange. Any chance someone can help me?

Thanks!

This problem IS NOT solved. I am now having the same problem of customers placing orders, PayPal accepting payment, and the customer is redirected back to their order history with the product still in the cart.....and no order in the back office. I have to manually process the orders that people are actually making...but most are just abandoning their carts. IT WAS working......and then suddenly stopped. I am losing customers and sales over this....not a happy camper.

I have tried many of the "resolutions" in this thread, and even removed and re-installed the module.....nothing.

Is there ANY fix for this?

• Like 1

This problem IS NOT solved. I am now having the same problem of customers placing orders, PayPal accepting payment, and the customer is redirected back to their order history with the product still in the cart.....and no order in the back office. I have to manually process the orders that people are actually making...but most are just abandoning their carts. IT WAS working......and then suddenly stopped. I am losing customers and sales over this....not a happy camper.

I have tried many of the "resolutions" in this thread, and even removed and re-installed the module.....nothing.

Is there ANY fix for this?

Same here... hopefully someone will find the solution because it's nightmare... + I am using multistore...  fingers crossed so we can find a solution.

Hm, i think i read somewhere on this forum that people who have problem with paypal US module switched to paypal Europe and things were better. Maybe worth a try. You can find it here: http://addons.prestashop.com/en/payments-gateways-prestashop-modules/1748-paypal.html

Thanks! I will try this maybe there is a Paypal Canada? not sure... 

Hm, i think i read somewhere on this forum that people who have problem with paypal US module switched to paypal Europe and things were better. Maybe worth a try. You can find it here: http://addons.prestashop.com/en/payments-gateways-prestashop-modules/1748-paypal.html

It worked like a charm! You can't use the sandbox.....so I had to make a live test order, but non the less it worked! :-) Who would have thunk that we would have to use the European version of the module to get results......

• Like 1

Thanks! I will try this maybe there is a Paypal Canada? not sure... 

The PayPal Europe will work with Canada :) . Try that and let me know if it works. 

It worked like a charm! You can't use the sandbox.....so I had to make a live test order, but non the less it worked! :-) Who would have thunk that we would have to use the European version of the module to get results......

Good to know. Thanks for the update and we'll look into this for the next version. 

similar problem, still waiting a solution.

prestashop usa 1.3.7, paypal advanced not working... 

since the beginning Aug. my paypal advanced stopped working.

paypal express is still working fine. 

hoping to see solutions from prestashop instead of having to buy extra module for this.

cannot use paypal Europe ... Europe does not have paypal advanced settings....

feel bad :(

similar problem, still waiting a solution.

prestashop usa 1.3.7, paypal advanced not working... 

since the beginning Aug. my paypal advanced stopped working.

paypal express is still working fine. 

hoping to see solutions from prestashop instead of having to buy extra module for this.

cannot use paypal Europe ... Europe does not have paypal advanced settings....

feel bad :(

Maybe I should use paypal express... Europe is not working for me either.

I agree, would be important to fix the issue about paypal USA... I mean payment is very important part in ecommerce and let's face it Paypal is the most used platform to pay online over here....

• Like 1

Paypal USA v1.3.8 was released. 

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/payments-gateways-prestashop-modules/8277-paypalusa.html

I don't know if this will fix your issue, but it does include the patch that deals with the missing IPN URL.  I would suggest installing this version, resetting the module, reconfigure the module and test it again.

Many thanks! I will try this today and let you know! =)

• Like 1

Adding myself to this thread so that I can read everyone's feedback...

I have the same problem as decribed by everyone else. I installed v1.3.8 and reconfigured. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Thx.

If you installed and reconfigured, why are you hoping it fixes the problem?  Did you not test it?

If you installed and reconfigured, why are you hoping it fixes the problem?  Did you not test it?

I just tested it on my side, I don't see the orders on my back office. Paypal now redirects me fine to the website but the shopping cart still has the item I purchased in it on front office. 

Back Office, I don't see the order. Only notification is from paypal to tell me someone bought something but it doesn't show on back office.

Maybe I need to activate something else? I am new with Prestashop maybe I forgot something.

Thank for helping! :)))

As identified by another user, Paypal was working fine - then stopped. I tested and it seems to be working again. Hopefully it will keep working.  If not, i will check back for further updates.

• Like 1

I just tested it on my side, I don't see the orders on my back office. Paypal now redirects me fine to the website but the shopping cart still has the item I purchased in it on front office. 

Back Office, I don't see the order. Only notification is from paypal to tell me someone bought something but it doesn't show on back office.

Maybe I need to activate something else? I am new with Prestashop maybe I forgot something.

Thank for helping! :)))

I don't know your programming or development experience, but there are 2 things that need to be done, by yourself or by a developer

1) You need to confirm if you are receiving the Paypal IPN. The easiest way to do this is to look at your access logs in your control panel, and search for "pps=1" without the quotes.  If you find entries, then you are receiving them.  If you don't, then you need to work with Paypal to determine why they are not being received.  If you are using v1.3.7, you will not receive them because of a bug in the module.  Upgrade to v1.3.8 and you should receive them.

2) If you are receiving them, and an Order is not being created, this means the IPN is failing to be processed.  The only way to fix this problem, is to debug the module to determine where it is failing.  This is not something I can document for you in a forum post, it just takes experience and leg work to find the problem and correct it.

I just installed the new paypal  us 1.3.8 and the orders are now visible in the back office however when the user returns back to the originating site there's an error.

Unfortunately, an error occurred during the transaction.

Please double check your credit card details and try again. If you need further assistance, feel free to contact us anytime.

(Your Order's Reference Number. XXXXXX)

Now come on Prestashop you need to get this fixed!  My phone is ringing off the hook on all these paypal module issues you can't resolve.

There's no issue on either the customers side or paypal as our paypal account received the money.

Releasing modules with these types of errors is completely unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message is only shown on the order confirmation page if the Order State is "not valid".

So start by looking at the order details in the back office, and let me know what the Order State was when the order was first created. Then go to Orders > Status and edit this Order State, take a screen shot and attach to your reply.

I don't know your programming or development experience, but there are 2 things that need to be done, by yourself or by a developer

1) You need to confirm if you are receiving the Paypal IPN. The easiest way to do this is to look at your access logs in your control panel, and search for "pps=1" without the quotes.  If you find entries, then you are receiving them.  If you don't, then you need to work with Paypal to determine why they are not being received.  If you are using v1.3.7, you will not receive them because of a bug in the module.  Upgrade to v1.3.8 and you should receive them.

2) If you are receiving them, and an Order is not being created, this means the IPN is failing to be processed.  The only way to fix this problem, is to debug the module to determine where it is failing.  This is not something I can document for you in a forum post, it just takes experience and leg work to find the problem and correct it.

Thank you so much for your answers. In fact, I am just starting to learn Prestashop so I can't really adventure in this situation. Any chance you could help me with this? 

The prob is not only with Pay Pal. Im using my own merchant Secure Trading its doing the same thing. Non order which means I have to check when someone does an order. We checked it last night with a customer and secure trading payments gone through. All processed! but Presta shop 1.6.0.9 is not showing the order as complete.

You need to create your own Topic for your issue.  This is a specific topic for the order not appearing when using Paypal, the issue is specific to the Paypal module, and not to Prestashop or other payment modules

Thank you so much for your answers. In fact, I am just starting to learn Prestashop so I can't really adventure in this situation. Any chance you could help me with this? 

I can, but I do charge for this type of personalized service.  Feel free to send me a PM or contact me on my website if that is something you are interested in

Do not speak to me like that or  ill report you.

Feel free to report me for telling you to follow the forum rules.

You own a software solutions and you cant figure out Pay pal

You might want to do a bit more research before accusing me of not helping community members fix their issues with Paypal modules

Good luck to you.

• Like 3

You own a software solutions and you cant figure out Pay pal

LEEWEAVER I understand you are frustrated. Please open up a new topic, copy all the text into that topic and send me the link to that topic. I'll help you out.

This problem is specifically about PayPal, it's a confirmed error and we are looking for a solution. The error you speak of very well could be different. We don't want to confuse members with posting what could be two separate problem roots and solutions. So please, if you could make another topic, that would be greatly appreciated. 

To: VanessaBoutique

Just wanted to suggest the following:

1) upgrade your current PayPal module to the most current version.

2) Uninstall your PayPal module. (Not just deactivate, but actually uninstall.)

3) Reinstall (and reactivate) the module.

4) Add your business PayPal account details and save. Be sure to capture all the details in full - the signature field has lots of characters that go beyond the field's container.  I would even suggest copying a pasting the values in a text file, and then copy and pat the values into your back office.

These are the steps I followed. My PayPal account is working perfectly. Customers place their orders and I receive the order details in my back office, as well as the money in my account. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

To: VanessaBoutique

Just wanted to suggest the following:

1) upgrade your current PayPal module to the most current version.

2) Uninstall your PayPal module. (Not just deactivate, but actually uninstall.)

3) Reinstall (and reactivate) the module.

4) Add your business PayPal account details and save. Be sure to capture all the details in full - the signature field has lots of characters that go beyond the field's container.  I would even suggest copying a pasting the values in a text file, and then copy and pat the values into your back office.

These are the steps I followed. My PayPal account is working perfectly. Customers place their orders and I receive the order details in my back office, as well as the money in my account. I hope this helps.

Many thanks for trying to help me. I updated the Paypal version, tried what you suggested too. Somehow the orders still don't show up in the back end of PS. Very strange. Maybe a problem with the theme I am using... I am new to Presta so it's kinda difficult to find out why this happens.

Regards 

Same issue here while testing with PayPal Sandbox, no order gets generated in the BO. I wonder if this happens with older versions of the module...I'll try testing this scenario with a fresh instance of PS & the PayPal module as soon as I can and let you guys know if I discover anything.

Update: Well, I installed a fresh copy of prestashop with the PayPal module, added 1 test item with a fake carrier just to make a test purchase and it worked! The order appears in the BO, e-mails were sent and paypal redirected to the history page where the cart is now empty and it shows "Congratulations! Your payment is pending verification, and your order has been saved under the reference YUMRGJFMH." So now, i'll need to compare and see what's different between my real site and the test site. I'll keep you guys posted.

Partial Success! I narrowed it down to one difference between my main site & my test site. The test site had "Free Shipping" enabled for the carrier. So, all I did on my main site's BO was go to Shipping/Carriers and enable Free Shipping for the carrier being used in the test scenario. Sure enough, once I tested the transaction, I received the confirmation e-mails, the order appears in BO & paypal brought me back to the history page & the cart is empty! Now of course this is still an issue because shipping can't always be free :) but perhaps we now have an idea where to look. Can anyone else try enabling Free Shipping for their carrier and testing? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

stop updating a topic that has been marked solved...

Open a new topic with your issue to avoid confusion.

Just curious what the actual solution was?  I've been following this thread as I'm having the exact same issue that was originally brought up, and there hasn't been a solution offered up yet that has solved the core issue.

Apologies if I've missed it.

the topic says solved.. it is also 4 pages long and 1 year old, the chances that it applies to you are remote.

I would suggest opening your own topic, provide your own details of the issue and you would probably do much better in finding a solution

Thanks for the tip!

I think the issue is still relevant and not solved though, as the PrestaShop team (Benjamin Utterback) replied as recently as August 2014 that

"This problem is specifically about PayPal, it's a confirmed error and we are looking for a solution."

So, they are still working on a fix.

What should happen is that the topic title should have the "Solved" removed, to avoid any confusion of people looking for the solution in this thread when it's not posted yet.

chances are you are not going to get assistance 4 pages deep into a solved thread by merely saying "Just a note to say I am getting the same issue with PayPal v3.7.2 module."

Sad, but true.  

My hopes are that the Presta team is still working on fixing the PayPal module, though.  It's a major form of online payment in the US, and I'm sure there are more than a few PrestaShop users waiting for this issue to be resolved. I have to manually check my PayPal account every day to see if there are any new payments, as my back-end doesn't show the new orders. It's a big waste of time.

• 1 year later...

Hello. I am facing the same problem. My site's country setting is Malaysia and I have only one active currency MYR. When I checkout, my credit card is charged and I see the payment in PayPal's interface. But, the order remains uncreated in the PrestaShop website. I am using the PayPal Europe module.

• 6 months later...

One other possible cause for the IPN failing to return is your PayPal settings. You need to make sure you have IPN messages enabled via PayPal - otherwise this same condition will occur for all orders processed with PayPal.

This setting can be found while you are logged into your PayPal account by clicking the "profile" link (found near the logout button - top right), then on the left menu click on "My selling tools", then scroll down to "Instant payment notifications" and click the "update" link to the right. Then you need to click "edit settings" and place the url to your validation page in the field - it should be something like one of the following:

https://yourdomain.com/modules/paypalusa/validation.php

or depending on how your domain/host is configured, you may need 

https://www.yourdomain.com/modules/paypalusa/validation.php

-- don't forget to click the button to turn on IPN messages. <==== (this is the critical part)

Note: If you are running multiple sites, just put the url for your main website in this field - it will be overridden by the paypalusa module when the request is sent from your site.

PS: I can't remember if you can enable the ipn without a url or not, it has been so long since I did this I forget, and mine has a url.

Hope this helps somebody

Edited by obewanz (see edit history)

One other possible cause for the IPN failing to return is your PayPal settings. You need to make sure you have IPN messages enabled via PayPal - otherwise this same condition will occur for all orders processed with PayPal.

this is incorrect information.  You only need to enable IPN in your Paypal profile if you wish to receive a notification outside of the Paypal module.  If you do that, it means you can expect to receive the IPN twice.

this is incorrect information.  You only need to enable IPN in your Paypal profile if you wish to receive a notification outside of the Paypal module.  If you do that, it means you can expect to receive the IPN twice.

Well, it would be nice if this information were documented somewhere, but that is what I did to fix my problem...

Paypal was holding the IPN notifications in a queue until I enabled the IPN with the button just to the right of "edit settings".

I got an idea.... why don't you put together a tutorial on how your PayPal account and the PayPal USA, Canada module should be setup so they work?

Edited by obewanz (see edit history)

Well, it would be nice if this information were documented somewhere, but that is what I did to fix my problem...

It is documented, in several places, including the Paypal API documentation.  I can't tell you how many times I have replied to this line of questioning.

Paypal was holding the IPN notifications in a queue until I enabled the IPN with the button just to the right of "edit settings".

Paypal most likely suspended sending IPN's to your module, likely because the module was failing to process them.  Paypal does this by design.

I got an idea.... why don't you put together a tutorial on how your PayPal account and the PayPal USA, Canada module should be setup so they work?

You enter your API credentials and your done.  There are minimal settings required.  Tutorials already exist, why re-invent the wheel.