diurno

Google indexing deactivated languages

Hello guys,

I'm getting loads of 'Not Found' errors in google as it is looking for "es/" and other languages which have been disabled long ago.

How do I tell google to stop looking for these long disabled languages?

Many thanks

I've done that, I've also checked the sitemap which I posted, one generated by xmlsitemaps and there's no mention of any language in it.

It's confusing?!

this is (I think) exactly the problem I had. Google was looking for an /en/ folder even though I had set my site to just one language. It caused me a massive loss in Google ranking. I'm really annoyed actually that it didn't handle this situation better.

Anyone got any solutions for this?

I've resubmitted my sitemap many times and the problem is still present! Any help would be appreciated!

<bump> 

I have that same issue. I did generate a new sitemap (and told bing and google the location and have them read the sitemap), but somehow bing and google keep trying to index those disabled urls for these disabled languages, resulting in 404 errors. The disabled languages are not mentioned in the sitemap.

Does anybody have a clue why this happens and how this can be solved?

You can submit as many sitemaps as you want, it won't change anything, because sitemaps just tells Google which URL to crawl. If you deactivate some languages, then those URLs are not available anymore but old URLs are still indexed. You should have inserted a "noindex" tag in those languages pages before !

One of the solutions is to insert permanent redirections in your .htaccess file :

RedirectPermanent /es /
RedirectPermanent /es/ /

The first line will redirect the spanish homepage to your new homepage if only 1 language now (otherwhise change the final '/' to '/en' for example)

The second line with redirect /es/xxx to /xxx

And of course, the permanent redirection will tell Google "the redirected url doesn't exists anymore, so remove it from your index"