What is "Opted-in subscribers"?

PA

Can someone explain me what is a opted-in subscriber, and what is the difference to a newsletter subscriber?

I've seen it while translating the newsletter module, but I also saw already the opt-in in the customers page in the back-office.

Hi, an opted in subscriber is anyone who has given their email to you, not just for newsletter subsciptions. That line of text is inside the Newsletter module that generates a .csv file from your customer contacts.

You have three options “Opted-in Subscribers” field, where you can filter the contacts based on their desire to register for messages from advertising partners. Similarly, three choices are available:

The first “All customers” enables you to select all the e-mail addresses of your customers who open an account on your store. That is to say, those who want and do not wish to receive information from your part.

The second, “Subscribers”, enables you to select only those customers who do want to receive a newsletter from your partners.

The third “Non-subscribers” enables you to select only those customers who do not want receive a newsletter from your partners.

Hi, an opted in subscriber is anyone who has given their email to you, not just for newsletter subsciptions. That line of text is inside the Newsletter module that generates a .csv file from your customer contacts."

My understanding of opt-in was that the customer chose to subscribe a newsletter, by opposition to opt-out where we (the site owner) subscribe the customer to the newsletter unless he says he does not want (English is not my mother language :)).

So it seems that, in prestashop, the meaning is a little bit different to what I was expecting, as the opt-in corresponds only to the partner offers.

Maybe the used words could be more clarifying.

From what I understood from this module, since we have the options to export of newsletter subscribers and opt-in subscribers, in the end we get the list of emails that satisfy newsletter subscriber condition AND opt-in subscriber condition. Is my assumption right?

According with Wiktionary, the definition of opt-in is:

Of a selection, the property of having to choose explicitly to join or permit something; a decision having the default option being exclusion or avoidance; used particularly with regard to mailing lists and advertisement.

seen in: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/opt-in

so definitely, the assignment of opt-in to partner mailing list subscription, and not to the newsletter subscription is a bad choice.

<p>By Registering their E-mail they "opt-in" for you to keep their email for records... to look up an order etc..</p>

<p> </p>

<p>However, they do not opt in to receieve the Newsletter unless they check it themselves.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The module allows you export three types of customer emails, I'll note it down again.</p>

<p> </p>

<div>The first “All customers” enables you to select all the e-mail addresses of your customers who open an account on your store. Basically, that's any customer who ever registered and gave their email.<br />

</div>

<div>The second, “Subscribers”, enables you to select only those customers who do want to receive a newsletter from your partners.<br />

</div>

<div>The third “Non-subscribers” enables you to select only those customers who do not want receive a newsletter from your partners.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>You have your options! I hope this helps! Thanks</div>