[FREE TUTORIAL] Adding the Compare button to the Product page

Hey everybody!

I got curious after reading this user's post: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/266574-how-to-add-compare-to-the-product-page-not-only-category/

I went deeper and came up with a tutorial on how to add the compare butto nto the single product page. Here it is!

http://nemops.com/compare-button-to-product-page/

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The tutorial isn't very noob friendly. Step 1 is clear enough, but then step 2 and 3 aren't so clear. Is this added to the .php created in step 1? So, I have this in a file called productcontroller.php, is it correct?

<?php

class ProductController extends ProductControllerCore
{
}
public function setMedia()
{
    parent::setMedia();

if (Configuration::get('PS_COMPARATOR_MAX_ITEM'))
        $this->addJS(_THEME_JS_DIR_.'products-comparison.js');
}
public function initContent()
{

$this->context->smarty->assign('comparator_max_item', Configuration::get('PS_COMPARATOR_MAX_ITEM'));

if (isset($this->context->cookie->id_compare))
        $this->context->smarty->assign('compareProducts', CompareProduct::getCompareProducts((int)$this->context->cookie->id_compare));

parent::initContent();
}

?>

Edited by damian5000 (see edit history)

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am not sure if i understand. Does that means that it is not possible to add "Compare" to the product page without having the checkbox? In my mind "add to wishlist" looked so simple but to add "compare" without the checkbox seems to complicated :-) Or is it just complicated in my head?

Frank

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You must create ProductController.php how write this, but in product.tpl you must insert 

{if isset($comparator_max_item) && $comparator_max_item}

<div class="compare">
<a class="add_to_compare" href="#" data-id-product="{$product->id|intval}">{l s='Add to Compare'}</a>
</div>
{/if}
{include file="./product-compare.tpl"}

and I add this:

{*Products compare *}
{addJsDefL name=min_item}{l s='Please select at least one product' js=1}{/addJsDefL}
{addJsDefL name=max_item}{l s='You cannot add more than %d product(s) to the product comparison' sprintf=$comparator_max_item js=1}{/addJsDefL}
{addJsDef comparator_max_item=$comparator_max_item}
{addJsDef comparedProductsIds=$compared_products}

• 3 months later...

hello,

PS 1.4

in addition to "$this->context" which you can't use on PS 1.4

which are the differences, please?

How to let it work on PS 1.4? I tried something but with no success... thanks

in PS 1.4 there is no CompareProduct.php class and no ps_compare table (for getCompareProducts () function )

I was able to put the select and compare buttons on the page, but is there a way to keep the products in the cookie in PS 1.4 when the user clicks on the selection box?

thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i have followed the tutorial, but i got 404 error after that. It shows 404 Error every I open the product details.

I have deleted the productcontroller.php and undo the product.tpl like before but it still 404 Error.

can i get some help? 

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the solution, i solved it like this:

1. Create the override file ProductController.php (like @NemoPS mentioned in his tutorial link) containing the code shown below and upload the file to override/controllers/front

<?php

class ProductController extends ProductControllerCore
{
    public function setMedia()
{
    parent::setMedia();

if (Configuration::get('PS_COMPARATOR_MAX_ITEM'))
        $this->addJS(_THEME_JS_DIR_.'products-comparison.js');
}
public function initContent()
{

$this->context->smarty->assign('comparator_max_item', Configuration::get('PS_COMPARATOR_MAX_ITEM'));

if (isset($this->context->cookie->id_compare))
        $this->context->smarty->assign('compareProducts', CompareProduct::getCompareProducts((int)$this->context->cookie->id_compare));

parent::initContent();
}   
}
?>

2. In product.tpl  add the following code (like @kosm12 mentioned) where you want the "add to compare" button to appear. You can customise the check button using css before and after.

<div class="compare_product_page">    
            {if isset($comparator_max_item) && $comparator_max_item}
            <div class="compare">
            <a class="add_to_compare" href="#" data-id-product="{$product->id|intval}">{l s='Add to Compare'}</a>
            </div>
            {/if}
            {include file="./product-compare.tpl"}
            </div>

{*Products compare *}
            {addJsDefL name=min_item}{l s='Please select at least one product' js=1}{/addJsDefL}
            {addJsDefL name=max_item}{l s='You cannot add more than %d product(s) to the product comparison' sprintf=$comparator_max_item js=1}{/addJsDefL}
            {addJsDef comparator_max_item=$comparator_max_item}
            {addJsDef comparedProductsIds=$compared_products}

You can see the results live, here: https://laptop-hunter.com/notebook-hp-15-dw0012na-6pc36ea-silver-6098.html

PS: I forgot to mention that i use Prestashop 1.6.1.18.

Thank you!

Edited by gabrielio (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...