[solved] Long Server Response Time - What Options Can You Do In mySQL

I'm running a PS 1.5.1.2 site with 3500+ products and 200 categories.

Right now my server response times are around 5 - 7 seconds and it only takes about 3 seconds to load content and images. The response times are really bad and I really need to speed this up.

I have all the performance settings turned on

Smart, Css, Js, Html, etc

CDN on 3 subdomains running

Caching = File System

I changed mysql Max_Connections to 300

I'm wondering if anyone had any advice on anything else to change that could increase the server load response times?

PS: I've read a lot of other posts on there but nothing about server response times.

Thanks for that link, I only had 10,000 entries in that table. I don't think it changed my server response speed much but I've already turned off all tracking modules as I didn't need them anyways. So its good to know that I should remove this table every now and then if its too large.

SOLUTION

I found my solution actually. I had about 88 request per page which for some reason took a huge toll on mysql I cut my request down by 50% and my response time went from

8 Seconds TO 2.5 Seconds!

I also turned OFF CDN, it does redirects which took made server response take even longer so TIP don't use CDN unless you are using CloudCache or CloudFlare.

Thanks for your help hope this post can help others.

• Like 2

wow! what a difference!

thanks for information how you solved it.

may i know what causing 88 requests? and how you cut them down?

it's very interesting topic and im convinced that it will be really helpful for other merchants with similar issues

anyway, im going to mark this topic as solved, but ofcourse please continue discussion here

i will be grateful

Hey! I'm glad this can help.

You can check out the speed but it in Australia so might load longer in other countries

http://priceritemart.com.au

I looked at how many images and products were loading on each page.

(1) I had a side bar showing new products and most popular - It was showing about 14 products

+ I cut it down to 8

(2) Each product page used the module CategoryProducts - Showing other products in the same category. I was showing 30 - 40

+ I cut that down to 20 max

(3) Side Bar Menu - I had a top menu but also a side menu

+ Uninstalled the module

(4) Disabled almost all the site stat modules if you use Analytics just turn them off

(5) Changed Image Quality from 80 - 65

+ Didn't make a huge difference in quality but it does with overall loading times

(6) Last view products module

+ Uninstalled it

(7) TURN OFF CDN - This makes request to your sub-domain which requires redirect request from your server and will slow down response times. Best to use CDN with a totally new domain.

(8) Use all the smarty CSS and JS stuff this helps

Pretty much the idea here is to look at how many products you are calling in the background the less the quicker of course.

Edited by bteo (see edit history)

• 11 months later...

Hey! I'm glad this can help.

You can check out the speed but it in Australia so might load longer in other countries

http://priceritemart.com.au

I looked at how many images and products were loading on each page.

(1) I had a side bar showing new products and most popular - It was showing about 14 products

+ I cut it down to 8

(2) Each product page used the module CategoryProducts - Showing other products in the same category. I was showing 30 - 40

+ I cut that down to 20 max

(3) Side Bar Menu - I had a top menu but also a side menu

+ Uninstalled the module

(4) Disabled almost all the site stat modules if you use Analytics just turn them off

(5) Changed Image Quality from 80 - 65

+ Didn't make a huge difference in quality but it does with overall loading times

(6) Last view products module

+ Uninstalled it

(7) TURN OFF CDN - This makes request to your sub-domain which requires redirect request from your server and will slow down response times. Best to use CDN with a totally new domain.

(8) Use all the smarty CSS and JS stuff this helps

Pretty much the idea here is to look at how many products you are calling in the background the less the quicker of course.

It would be nice to see a solution to this issue without having to disable half the prestashop modules which makes prestashop an attractive full featured ecommerce solution.  

• 1 month later...

Hi

My server response time took almost 15s. I don't know if this is caused by my hosting, all my others website works fine, actually the landing page and the main website of the same domain are doing a good response time, but the store (PS), is not. This is the store: https://bodasvips.com.ar/tienda/es/ . The homepage size was 6.4 MB, and now is 3.4 MB. Tomorrow I'll reduce this size to 2MB. Its weird that after I reduced the homepage size, the server response time its the same. Any further idea will be highly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Flavex , Homepage should be under 1MB, ideally the best home pages on shared or vps hosting is about 800kb.  Bigger landing pages require better hardware.

Bteo, your comments are very interesting. What is your google page speed score? I would be interested to know after all that, what is your server response time in ms?  if its under 200ms thats really good.

I too have disabled all the analytics, you did say some of them, which ones would you enable?   Is it better just to use google analytics instead or in parallel?  

Can you comment more on the CDN,  you said to disable CDN, because it requires an extra lookup for css/js and static files.  But you did say cloudflare and cloudcache is okay, aren't they also cdns?

One site that loads in under a second is zappos.com (owned by amazon) ping the domain from anywhere in the world and you get 1-2ms response time, site also loads really fast.  They use akami cdn via rackspace cloud.

Did you figure out anything about cloud dns stuff? 

Thanks for your comments.

Hi Ricky

You're right, the homepage of my store is big, due to the high amount of images. I'm working to improve the size.

I don't know about the Google speed score, how can I get it?

BTW, what are the PS analytic s you've disabled?

About CDN's, I didn't mentioned.

Cheers!

I have disabled and uninstalled all analytic (apart from dashboard)

Its better to uninstall rather than just disable, if you disable, i think it is still hooked in the module and still loads, but remains hidden.

Google page speed : https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Disable all or most sql queries from running on the homepage, like new products, best sellers etc.. have them run on inside pages, when the user is interested.

• 1 year later...