[SOLVED] How to add link to new page for each category

Hello,

Im trying to figure out a way to make each category on the home page a link so it opens in a new page only and hide the subcategories on the homepage until the category link is clicked. I have several categories and sub categories which I think is making my page load slow and not giving me good results with google because of the page size. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Edited by marion34 (see edit history)

Hi Marion,

can yo add a link to your shop so we can have a look at it? It may not have to do with the amount of categories/subcategories but something else which makes the shop slow, like lack of memory, slow server, connection quality etc.

A few questions:

- Did you turn on cache? (Advanced parameters->Performance)

- What Prestashop Version do you use?

- About how many products do you have in your shop?

pascal

I would not recommend to open new pages. People don't like pop up's in general, and many tabs or windows to close is an irritation increasing activity.

The site is a little slow in first time loading response, but when cached already, it's actually pretty fast. I heard Presta team did some work on the caching, as there were some problems with it in 1.5.2 or 1.5.3(??). So maybe upgrading to 1.5.4.1 may also improve some speed.

The google result is mostly having an original site, with the right keywords, the right stories on the right pages (no 'empty' keywords just for the sake of it, but 'covered' by the contents of that page, links on these keywords to sub-pages etc..

I see you have just your Website name in the title of the home page. This should be filled with your main keywords people are using to get to your page.

So change the Preferences->SEO and URL's and then edit the 'index' page 'page title' value. try to think of keywords your visitors may use to get to your site and add about three or for of them here. Then add these to your home page inside the contents (Home text editor), maybe add links to sub pages that cover the keyword in more detail etc. In home text editor, you can also add keywords in the title and subtitle (they will go into <h2> and <h3> tags of your home page, and may increase your rank as well.

Try to find some info on increasing your rank and modify your pages accordingly.

My 2 cents,

pascal

Thanks Pascal,

I will work on those areas, still new to this and the learning curve on some of the issues Ive run across are time consuming but I think in the end well worth the effort.

When you mention " links on these keywords to sub-pages etc" how would I do this? With the Tag module?

Thanks for your help.

Marion,

For example, when modifying your home page you can add the home text editor module to your home page. Here you can add freely html text, including links, pictures, etc to your page. The module comes with some 'built in' HTML editor functions, so here you can easily add the link on a keyword, just like this:

Click on mysuperkeyword for more details about Yoda:

;-)

In your case, instead of to Yoda, link to a sub page (link to a page of a subcategory with it's products)

Hope this clears things up,

pascal

• 5 years later...