Geolocation + Multi-shop redirect

Hello guys,

Is-it possible to use the geolocation module to redirect customers to a specific shop based on their IP address ?

Example, I have multi-shop activated and two shops :

de.mywebsite.com (for germany)

fr.mywebsite.com (for france)

I would like to automatically redirect customers from germany to de.mywebsite.com and customers from france to fr.mywebsite.com.

How to do that ?

Regards,

David.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have seen several posts but I still do not understand how this is useful and I'm more concerned with how this interacts with search engines.  If the redirect is a 301/302 that negates the 'from' domain SEO.

The best approach as stated by google is to have actual ccTLD de.yourdomain | yourdomain.de | anydomain.de.  When done correctly then visitors search from German will see your .de ccTLD. 

learn more here.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182192?hl=en

Hi El Patron,

Oddly enough I'm not too bothered about languages or search engines but the real drive for me was to be able to display the correct shipping costs in the basket of a guest (before going through the registration process). So if someone from the States visits the site (which is based in the UK) they won't be in for a nasty surprise when the guest basket says shipping is £5 then after they get to the checkout it says £18.

So I've made 3 shops each with different shipping zones associated to them. I could have a splash page where the user clicks on their flag to go to the correct store, but a re-direct will save a process and be a bit slicker.

Am I missing a trick or can the Geolocation function in PS do this without the need for a module?

Hi El Patron,

Oddly enough I'm not too bothered about languages or search engines but the real drive for me was to be able to display the correct shipping costs in the basket of a guest (before going through the registration process). So if someone from the States visits the site (which is based in the UK) they won't be in for a nasty surprise when the guest basket says shipping is £5 then after they get to the checkout it says £18.

So I've made 3 shops each with different shipping zones associated to them. I could have a splash page where the user clicks on their flag to go to the correct store, but a re-direct will save a process and be a bit slicker.

Am I missing a trick or can the Geolocation function in PS do this without the need for a module?

by 'correct' store I assume you mean the store with correct 'default' shop country yes?

localizing a shop by country is one of the biggest advantages of native ps by country catalog, prices, shipping, taxes, language etc...so for me anyway...I want the cheapest seo strategy, but like 'you' and other posters here we also want to show the correct currency/language/specific prices by country.

IMHO, the only way to achieve this without possibly ruining your non-paid SEO is by geo targeting by domain and multiplexing one content without the duplicate content penalty and using only one gTLD and multiple ccTLD's.

Trying to circumvent this with 'slick' redirects, again in my honest opinion is folly.

Thanks El Patron. TBO it's a bit over my head all the domains stuff. It's already been a steep learning curve being the first PS site I've created. I'm just going to have a splash page and let people choose where they are from.

Just a quick question though. If I had a site registered at www.domian.eu and my main site was www.domain.com. If someone from Europe typed www.domain.com directly into a browser, which site would they end up at the .com or the .eu?

Thanks El Patron. TBO it's a bit over my head all the domains stuff. It's already been a steep learning curve being the first PS site I've created. I'm just going to have a splash page and let people choose where they are from.

Just a quick question though. If I had a site registered at www.domian.eu and my main site was www.domain.com. If someone from Europe typed www.domain.com directly into a browser, which site would they end up at the .com or the .eu?

they would see .com

but they would  most likely be presented with .eu via their search (and that  is the point) :)

• 8 months later...

they would see .com

but they would  most likely be presented with .eu via their search (and that  is the point) :)

Hello:

So for my shop www.ladolcevitashop.com, we are in spain

The best way to redirect english spoken usser,spanish or french is using cctlds from google or can i use prestashop trick?

Thanks

Best Regards

• 1 year later...