(SOLVED) Must I keep image files once CSV spreadsheets have uploaded?

Does anyone know if you have to keep image files on your site once you have uploaded a csv? I believe prestashop takes the originals and saves them in different sizes somewhere else. I have not looked at the database. I don't know much about it, but I'm thinking that once prestashop processes the images into different sizes, that I don't actually need to have the originals saved still.

I stupidly used a huge number of unnecessarily large image files. Though the site doesn't seem to run slowly, backing it up takes about an hour. I suspect that is too long and that it is because of the size of the original image files. I would like to just delete the originals, so the site doesn't take so long to backup.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

Edited by preserver (see edit history)

From experimenting with it, if you ever plan to change the size of the various thumbnails, you should keep the originals uploaded . I tried doing so with the images deleted, and it didn't work. When I re-uploaded the images (same names, but I had changed the file size with some photo-editing software) I was able to regenerated the thumbnails.

Hope this helps anyone with the same situation!

• 1 year later...

New to prestashop. i was trying to upload using the csv file. on the image field i mentioned the dropbox address which has the image. and imported the csv file. 

everything is uploaded right except for the image. 

can you kindly let me know the location to which i should upload the image file ( so  i can use that location on the csv file) for the csv import.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...