URL for products with same title/name.

editorstefan

Hello!

Alot products on my website will have same name. I use Friendly URL's without ID number and want my urls to be like this: www.name.com/TITLE/REFERENCE.html

Settings i got in backoffice for URL to product: {rewrite}/{reference}.html

But still all products with same "friendly url" (product title) goes to same URL.

How can i fix that:

1. They don't redirect to another product and is checked by reference (which is different for all products).

2. When selecting generate URL in product tab it takes product title + reference.

Hi,

I'm not sure of what I am about to say, but it could help you figure it out:

This is only a supposition of what could be happening. Changing the backoffice URL might not change the product URL already GENERATED. Which mean that your products already in store has to be changed manually.

2 ways to prove this :

1. When you hit the "generate" button in SEO (Product edition page's tab), does it generate the right URL?

2. When you create a new product (With a reference) does he have the right URL generated?

If these test are right, it means that you're gonna have to manually edit every products to generate the URL in every language (might be long) or create a script to do so.

Best regards,

Martin

Hi,

I'm not sure of what I am about to say, but it could help you figure it out:

This is only a supposition of what could be happening. Changing the backoffice URL might not change the product URL already GENERATED. Which mean that your products already in store has to be changed manually.

2 ways to prove this :

1. When you hit the "generate" button in SEO (Product edition page's tab), does it generate the right URL?

2. When you create a new product (With a reference) does he have the right URL generated?

If these test are right, it means that you're gonna have to manually edit every products to generate the URL in every language (might be long) or create a script to do so.

Best regards,

Martin

When i hit 'generate url' it only takes from product title for both new and old products.

What can i do?

I have imported only 20products so far, will be 200 soon so can i do something before importing all?

I never used this feature before, so I took the time to try it in my own shop.

Here's my discovery :

ID is mandatory. You need to have the ID at least ONCE in the URL.

it is written on the top of the section:

keywords with * are required

You can't achieve your goal without the ID. Also, hitting the generate button doesn't affect the url rewriting, that's my mistake, it only regenerate the "rewrite" fields in the product based on the title.

Martin

• Like 1

Oh yeah forgot this part!...

Did you try turning URL rewriting off and on again?

Also I'm not sure if the override make the validation possible of if it only REMOVE the id after ( Which means that you would still need the ID in the name, but it would remove the ID after.

Martin

• Like 1

Oh yeah forgot this part!...

Did you try turning URL rewriting off and on again?

Also I'm not sure if the override make the validation possible of if it only REMOVE the id after ( Which means that you would still need the ID in the name, but it would remove the ID after.

Martin

The "rewrite" must be there with this module.

Now when i delete module i still cant get ID showing :s

It wasn't really a module...much more like a bunch of override. Make sure you deleted them all in "override".

I had a question, why did you want the erase the ID in the irst place?

Martin

Fixed it now. Well i want delete the ID's since i thought they ware preatty much useless. And then i understood i need to make each url unique so i wanted to take the reference number to be instead of ID numbers. Tried to play with some coding but ended up with keeping ID for products and remove for the rest.

Any idea what code i should change so instead of ID numbers its reference number?