Get products with specific feature values

svierkant

I've made a custom page with a form, so customers can easily search for all products that are meet customer's needs.

It was easy to make that form, based on the features:

//controller
$network = FeatureValue::getFeatureValuesWithLang($this->context->language->id, 6);

//template
<select name="network">
{foreach from=$options.network item=network name=network}
<option value="{$network.id_feature_value}">{$network.value}</option>
{/foreach}
</select>

Now I would like to get all products that have the submitted features. I can't believe there isn't a function that does the trick, but I can't find it. How can I get products with specific tags/features?

(I'm new to PrestaShop, I think I'm looking for a WP_Query equivalent)

• Like 1

Hi svierkant,

just an idea, haven't tested this at all but maybe try something like loading products into controller and then:

{foreach from=$products item=product name=products}
 {if isset($product.features)}
  {foreach from=$product.features item=feature}
	  {if $feature.name == "$network.value"}
		   [show_product]
	  {/if}
   {/foreach}
  {/if}
{/foreach}

what you could also try is the "layered navigation block" module, might be exactly what you are looking for.

good luck :)

Edited by defuzed (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply!

That's an easy solution*, but is there not a function for that? I expected a more OOP-like solution to the problem, so it's possible to re-use code. It would be nice if I can use the 'standard' product list view (with sorting, paging, etc.).

I don't want to use the layered navigation block, because we want to make a custom wizard. The product selection is not that easy (it's a very complex product), so we want to make it as easy as possible.

* It's better to use the controller to select the products, isn't it?

The reusable option would be to pack all of this into a module which you could "hook" anywhere you want. Have a look at: http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/Creating+a+PrestaShop+module and/or just take a look at existing modules to see how they work.

Your custom wizard definitely seems like it should be packed into a module.

If you need any more specific help with module creation etc don't hesitate to post here or pm me :)

I already made a module: my question is how I can get products with specified feature values.

I'm sure it will work the way I'm doing it now, but are you really sure that this is the right way to do? I think it's better to select the products using MySQL instead of PHP. Or isn't it?

Edited by svierkant (see edit history)

I think this question is related: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9150417/how-to-get-in-prestashop-filtered-products-by-its-attribute ("I'm wondering about method to retrieve that filtered products directly, where filtering is doing in database.")

So it looks there isn't a function for it. Is it OK to do it with PHP, or is it better to write a function that gets the products directly from the database?

• Like 1

the stackoverflow accepted answer looks really good. I think you're going to have to use SQL since there is no query for specific attributes as it seems. I think it's usually better to use php if SQL queries are already available, but since there doesn't seem to be one for what you are trying to do, try the stackoverflow solution.

Really interesting question overall since what you want to do is a great idea usability-wise, hope you can figure it out, i will try to look into it more tonight. good luck!

• Like 1

Is there a specific reason there isn't a WP_Query equivalent? Using specific products on another page isn't a unusual question, or is it?

I hope you don't feel offended that I needed an extra source to verify your answer? ;-)