Do I need SSL to Secure Contact and Login Info?

Crazy Germanns

So I'm new to this and I'm full of questions. For my site, I'm going to be using Paypal as the only payment method so I won't have to worry about SSL to protect credit card info.

Now I'm wondering if it's necessary to have an SSL encryption to protect passwords and contact info that people put on my site. Is it a necessity or will I be fine without? I've heard you can't use shared SSL with prestashop, and as far as I know dedicated SSL is over a hundred dollars, which I'm not willing to pay yet.

I've never used prestashop before, so I also want to know if I were to only use paypal for payment, would any credit card info be displayed on my site at all, or even through email in receipts and such?? Or will all of the info just stay on paypal so I don't have to worry about the credit cards?

Thank you in advance to everybody. I love learning this stuff, albeit complicated for me at first. Thank god there's a forum. =P

The answer to your question isn't an easy one I'm afraid. You may need to look into your local laws to determine what steps you should take to ensure privacy and even what data protection reporting you may be subject to (depending on the information you gather at registration).

Many people might expect a reputable organisation to protect their name/address details using an encryption technology on their website - others will not care :)

Paul