[solved] I am unable to turn off smarty cache

I am unable to turn off smarty cache. I'm using 1.5.3.1, and when I go to Advanced Perimeters > Performance > Smarty, tick the disable Cache radio button, save, I get a green message: Update successful, but it comes back from the save with the enable radio button ticked. I have tried an upgrade to 1.5.4.1, and the problem is still there. I have also tried importing the database from the 1.5.3.1 install into a fresh 1.5.4.1 install, and am unable to disable the smarty cache after the import. When I tick the force compile button, it also reverts back to the: Recompile templates if the files have been updated, after the save. I have manually cleaned the cache, and still no-joy. I need to do some work on the theme, and it's pretty hard to do with the cache on.

Anyone have some suggestions?

TIA :)

Tom

Great, could you then go to the database, select table prefix_configuration and search for PS_SMARTY_CACHE. Now, when you find this one (Use the search function of course!), change the value to 0. Now, go and check the admin. What does it say?

• Like 2

Great, could you then go to the database, select table prefix_configuration and search for PS_SMARTY_CACHE. Now, when you find this one (Use the search function of course!), change the value to 0. Now, go and check the admin. What does it say?

Yes, that disabled the Smarty Cache. Thank you PSfever!. I see however that it cannot be turned back on through the back office. Is there an underlying cause that it is not able to be changed through the CMS and only through a direct edit of the SQL table?

A bug, or corrupt file that causes this to happen?

Worse case is that at least I'll be able to manipulate the setting directly through the database now.

Thanks for the help so far!

[Edit]

I'm also unable to change the Template Cache to "Force Compilation", it's stuck on: "Recompile templates if the files have been updated". Even with the Cache turned off through the Database edit, and manual deletion of the cache, Refreshing the webpage using Ctrl-F5, it is still filling the cache back up, and Firebug is finding the page elements in the Cached file.

[Edit2]

I changed the PS_JS_THEME_CACHE and the PS_CSS_THEME_CACHE to 0 in the PS_CONFIGURATION table, and am now able to see the original, or un-cached page element locations with Firebug. However the Template Cache is still stuck on "Recompile"

Edited by planewrench (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi,

glad that worked, what would I suggest now is to open your FTP/controllers/admin/ folder and replace all of these .php files with those from the original instalation. There could be some problem with them. If this won't help, try setting permissions to 777 to all of the files.

What about other settings? Are you able to turn the shop on and off in your backoffice? Can you do any change in the backoffice regarding those radio-button options?

In any case, try to contact your webhoster, they might have experience with dealing with this problem. As this is usually the case, that there's a problem on the webhoster's part.

• Like 1

I did replace the AdminPerformanceController.php earlier, then replaced the whole controllers/admin/ folder on your suggestion, and in both cases it didn't resolve the issue.

I don't believe that it's a problem with the host, as this is occurring on cloned installations on a shared hosting server, a dedicated server, and my localhost. I also imported just the database and image folder from the problem install into both a fresh 1.5.3.1, and 1.5.4.1 install on my localhost, and the problem cloned as well. I did have the ability to make changes to the smarty cache prior to the import, on the fresh installs.

I have also ran a table repair, and an optimization on the database with PhpMyAdmin.

In my mind, it pretty much boils down to some unknown issue with the database, as the problem seems to follow the database. There doesn't to be any other issues with the ability to make changes in the back office, other than the smarty cache.

I have a Pile-O-Time invested in getting the inventory entered, along with combinations, attributes etc, in this database, and a lot of products entered in while this problem as gone un-noticed. So going back far enough to a backup will wipe out a lot of work. To me its not an option to start from scratch...

As the first resort, I would like to find, and fix this problem. If I cant find a way to do that, then maybe figure out a way to import just the tables from the database that bring the inventory and categories in the database over to a fresh install, leaving the issue behind. If someone would hook me up with a link to a list of the tables that I would need to accomplish a transfer of the inventory, I could give that a shot.

I have also considered doing a .csv export-import, but that can generate a whole bag of other issues on it's own.

Thanks for your help PS fever, and I'll field any suggestions you might have.

Tom

I was able to replace the PS_CONFIGURATION table in the database to make it able to turn on and off the caching options from the Performance settings in the back shop. I'm not sure of exactly what the root cause was, but it worked around the problem that I was having.

Thank you again PSfever! :D

hello, thanks for solutions here

im convinced that this thread will be helpfull for other merchants too

i marked thread as [solved]

Thanks Vekia!

I couldn't find a way here to edit the original thread to mark this as solved, searched high and low to find the edit link on the topic...

I was hoping that a Mod would come along and sweep up the broken glass that I left here on Aisle # 6...

I thank PSfever for pointing me in the right direction, and helping me out.

• 2 years later...

I was facing this bug, but i see in ps_configuration table these variables 'PS_SMARTY_FORCE_COMPILE' and 'PS_SMARTY_CACHE' are written twice time. I have removed one extra varibale and now i can enable/disable cache and force compile settings :)

Thanks to 'planewrench' to give me idea to explore this ps_configuration table.

Edited by kashifkhan112 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone!

Sorry for reopening this post but I need some help!

I have installed PS 1.6.1.4 on WAMP, created all the store and now I have just moved the whole thing on a external server.

I haven't tested much yet coz I immediatly found out that I can't manage to turn Smarty Cache on. Even stranger no problems with CCC or the modification of other settings.

I have followed the suggestions on this post and I can turn them on and off now through modification of the database but unfortunately it still doesn't work through the BO.

Don't see any duplicates in the database, all seems to be in order but obviosly is not.

Can anyone help out?
Thank you so much

• 11 months later...