Spamming the moderators

Paulito

Question

Good morning all

Just a thought:

Forum members have the opportunity to report spam to the moderators, I used to do this myself but ended up with the uneasy feeling that, after reporting so many, I was Spamming the very same people who were trying to stop the spam. (if that makes sense)

Also, the moderators are always so busy answering, helping and solving forum members questions that it is very difficult for them to delete all the spam posts that appear on any particular day.

I wonder, what if their was a second line of defence where a few trusted forum members from each forum were allowed to delete these posts or at the very least edit them with "Possible Spam" in the title to alert others.

As I say, it's Just a Thought

Paul

14 answers to this question

Hi perfumeskunk, nice feedback. Yes, we have made strives to reduce the number of Spam. Don't worry about "Spamming the Moderators" The reports are actually only handled by the Community Managers, myself and Xavier du Tertre. Some moderators have the right to flag a member as Spammer but not many. That is because it's obviously a big responsibility and can be abused easily (marking a member as spammer just because you don't like them, hence banning them from the forum)

Overall, Spam has decreased but we all know it's a never ending battle with Spammers as they seem to always find new ways to get their "message" (or lack thereof) across.

sometimes see spam in the forum...it's pretty much a constant occurrence....

most forum cms's have the capability of dis-allowing a link in the first or x number of posts...

this would go a long way to circumvent the amount of spam I've seen since October 2011 :)

I leave it to the official ps team to decide...

But then many new users will not have got possibility to share url to own store and for example to images related to the issue etc. :(

I agree...it's important they can post their url...I don't know the solution...but typically forums don't allow url's in the first x posts for new posters...for a very good reason...there are bad/sad people out there...and I for one am tired of spending half my time blocking spammers...

Good morning

I have seen the vekia suggestion before and it seems to work well.

Perhaps it could be used for the first 5 posts, see how it works and take it from there.

It maybe, of course, that spamming only really effects those members that follow a forum rather than a particular post.

Maybe Benjamin could organise a poll of members to see how many of us are really being affected by spamming.

I have had 8 today

Paul

Benjamin, it is now twelve

The last three are from here:

1. HERE

2.HERE

3. HERE I think this one has been deleted already

In fact perhaps all will have been deleted before you read this post but the fact remains that their must be a way of stopping, or at the very least minimising the amount of spam that normal member reieve

Paul

Edited by perfumeskunk (see edit history)