A warining to TAX/VAT & B2B Users

A friendly warning to anyone using prestashop outside of the EU TAX laws.

If you have B2B enabled or you are requesting a TAX / VAT number on sign up for your users, it seems that Prestashop will remove VAT / TAX from the total price on CHECKOUT thus losing 5-25%+ depending on how TAX / VAT works in your area.

It's something thats taken me just over a day to find a matching relation between some customers and others, I think this is now solved.

But prestashop please could you make this something that can be edited in the admin please. If you are from the UK for example if a customer enteres a VAT/TAX number nine times out of ten they need to collect / charge VAT/TAX with payment not send out a seprate invoice!!

Shouldnt this have been made a sticky someplace? I searched throught google with no answers or any problems? Unless after 15+ years i dont know how to use a search engine, its cost my client £10000s not hundreds.

At least its getting resolved but id have thought a more urgent / pro active fix or patch would have been applied before now?

Hi cocothecat, I'm not sure if it's issue with VAT specifically but there are times where VAT shows at registration or checkout when it should not be. I'm not certain that this specific issue is reported.

Could you give us a breakdown of how to reproduce the bug? I'll then make sure to get more information to you.

My store has B2B enabled and TAX field enabled on registration (i changed TAX to VAT as language preferance for the UK)

Group type has TAX enabled to show on prices. So I discovered if a value is entered in the TAX field once you add it to the cart and proceed to checkout either on the CART or the shipping summery (where you get to see order before payment) TAX is removed from the price. So you actually end up paying EX TAX.

And this creates the message on the invoice saying: "Exempt of VAT according section 259B of the General Tax Code. "

If you register without adding any information TAX is kept on fine. That TAX code works fine for the EU I think where you don't have to pay TAX upfront you can pay that on a second invoice from the merchant this CAN be done in the UK also depending on how VAT is set up when you register.

However most companies in the UK need to be able to add VAT at the order, and the VAT number is used for record keeping only. I hope this makes sense

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Situation is this: When someone completes the delivery address you have the option to specify company details if you are indeed a company. When you start writing the company name a new field appears VAT. If you enter the company VAT then all the prices on the website change to non-VAT prices. For example if you have a product with a base price of 5 and your country VAT is 24% then the final price will be 6.2.

Prices would change site-wide for that customer if logged in into prices without VAT and the final checkout will be finalized with said prices which is a BIG problem.

I "solved" it with a bit of hack, I just hid the container #vat_number usign CSS display: none; but this temporary. The VAT field is extremely important for companies from an accounting perspective.

Hope someone with more brains can solve this....and fast. It is a huge issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Situation is this: When someone completes the delivery address you have the option to specify company details if you are indeed a company. When you start writing the company name a new field appears VAT. If you enter the company VAT then all the prices on the website change to non-VAT prices. For example if you have a product with a base price of 5 and your country VAT is 24% then the final price will be 6.2.

Prices would change site-wide for that customer if logged in into prices without VAT and the final checkout will be finalized with said prices which is a BIG problem.

I "solved" it with a bit of hack, I just hid the container #vat_number usign CSS display: none; but this temporary. The VAT field is extremely important for companies from an accounting perspective.

Hope someone with more brains can solve this....and fast. It is a huge issue.

Hi, how did you hide #vat_number using CSS? where is that file located? Tks