Free Shipping text on cart PS 1.5.4.1

Prestashop developers: it is possible that a CRITICAL bug as the free shipping text showed to unregistered customers on cart summary is still there?

you are making an ECOMMERCE software not a community blog. you should assign priorities upon this. put yuour self in the head of a customer that goes on a Prestashop store, adds to the cart some item, sees the free shipping text and after login sees shipping costs. what you think??? the new Prestashop version with this little issue is DAMNAGING many merchants.

For ECOMMERCE developers a PRIORITY is not only that the software works, but that works IN THE right commercial way. what should be considered a secondary issue on another web project, is a CRITICAL issue for sellers.

PLEASE ASSIGN TO THIS BUG IT'S APPRORPIATE PRIORITY. IT IS CRITICAL.

what should be the right way to fix?

it is simple: instead of free shipping the cart summary should write: "Login for shipping costs". think this is not hard to fix. do you want make ECOMMERCE?

• Like 6

I have the same problem after upgrading from 1.5.2.0 to 1.5.4.1 in a sub-domain test environment on a live server.

I have checked and re-checked all my settings and everything is o.k.

I have spent many wasted hours trying various things and searching for a solution.

The reason I wanted to upgrade was to try to eliminate some of the truly awful bugs that have plagued us since upgrading to 1.5 late last year.

Anyone have any ideas for a workaround in the interim?

Edited by deepee (see edit history)

I just had a niggling thought and had another look at this.

When I go to "Shipping > Carriers > Edit" in my 1.5.2 live store I see:-

Group access:

ID Group name

1 Default

2 Visitor

3 Guest

The only box that is ticked is "default" and that is working fine, showing the shipping price in the cart without need for the customer to be logged in.

Now, if I look at the 1.5.4.1 site, "default" is ticked but "visitor" and "guest" are not. This is the same as the 1.5.2.0 site.

However, if I tick all three options and look at the front of shop, the "free shipping" message is replaced with the correct shipping price.

Hope this works for you too and if it does, please mark the topic as "Solved"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply.

I cleared browser caches and tried FF, Safari and Opera but still get free shipping unless logged in.

If I click on the CART button itself, the page reloads and I get the Estimate the cost of shipping & taxes options. The carrier names show up briefly, before being replaced by a large ? (question mark image). The prices and delivery time information for each carrier show though, and are correct.

When I fill in the country, state, zip code fields, choose a carrier and update the cart, the page reloads, but still with free shipping. The carriers names are not available until stage 4 of the checkout process.

This bug is still there. The fix mentioned above does not work when you use carriers that need a zip code to calculate cost. If they are not signed in, it will say "free shipping" even when all the group accesses are checked. Please prestashop, change this to say something other than free or just have a blank space!!!

I did a temporary fix to charge a flat rate so that guests will see this instead of free, but this fix is not ideal since I would rather they be charged the actual rate.

• Like 1

I've done a temporary fix too by changing the translation on a couple of templates from 'Free Shipping' to 'login for shipping costs to your area'. I have no free shipping, so it will work for now, but I hope a more permanent solution can be found.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am still having problems and have been trouble shooting for a couple days now. I've almost considered raising prices just to offer free shipping to everyone because this is such a hassle!

Here's what I want to happen. Free shipping if over a certain amount just for USPS Standard Mail. If USPS Priority, UPS or Fedex is selected they will be charged for shipping. If under the certain amount for shipping they will all charge and not be free shipping. Is this possible?

What is happening: Every item, no matter what configuration, weight, price, cache cleared, browser, product item configured the FREE SHIPPING still appears. Is this something to do with the USPS, UPS, FedEx module interfering with what I am trying to do. So far I am not able to see any calculated shipping cost from any carrier. If I add a default cost to a product, that works. But it won't calculate additional charges for shipping if I add more products to the cart.

Anyone have any good fixes or exact configurations that I need to do for this to work. If this currently works for you, do you have screen shots or explanations on how it worked for you? I would believe this is a bug of some sort as this should be pretty intuitive and no Prestashop people here!! Prestashop if you're listening... PLEASE help!

Hello mates,

I do have the same problem and I would say that mine is more complicated.

Although the "free shipping" appears everywhere, at the step 4 (5 step check out) carriers are dissapeared and the whole procedure stop at step 4, resulting inomplete shopping.

Any suggestions?

Edited by sugarboy (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the "free shipping showing up in the cart" issue too, both with guests AND logged-in customers. That having been said, all my products are so small I WANT to offer flat rate, $2 for USA and $7 for international, and I can't figure out how to set this up. I think I have it set up, using zones, but I can't SEE it 'cause it always says "free shipping"!

Also, when I try to check out, the Delivery Method section says "No carriers available for the address "My address".

Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing. *sigh*

Edited by Lyssa (see edit history)

Hello. I am having the same problem and is very important to solve this.

I can't publish my web with that bug. The customer will feel cheated when he register and sees that is no longer free his shipping costs.

I've tried with the visitor-default thing and the problem persist.

I can't change the text to "Please log in to know your shipping cost" because i have free shipping when the customer buy more that 90euros.

Please... if anybody have resolved this... ¡Make us know!

Thanks!!

I am testing a workaround which changes the translations of "Free shipping!" to "Depends on destination" for the shopping cart on the front end and installed modules for the theme in use. So far, so good but it's still a bit crap: an e-commerce system which requires its users to resort to this kind of workaround doesn't make the grade in my opinion.

It is not a "bug". The developers made the decision to use "Free Shipping" as the default cart text. So, if the cart is empty it will default, or if the customer is not signed in it will default, or if your zones are screwed up etc.

I agree that it is a very stupid idea to default to "Free Shipping", but that is what they did. Some have gone in and changed the text, lots of "fixes" discussed over the years can be found using the search feature. This is free software and like most free software there are many quirks, it is not beginner friendly. More friendly than other open software but, still not for the basic user at all. It tok me months to get my site working OK.

I just upgraded to a better cart module and spent the money on paid shipping modules. Check out Presto-Changeo for ideas. If you do a bit of research in the old threads, you'll find instructions on changing the "free shipping text". I can't remember how off the top of my head. Its been too long ago..

I have the Presto-Changeo USPS module, and it was working perfectly (much better than the free module) as recently as Aug 2nd. But today I went in and the whole website's free shipping! We also have another site using Miva Merchant and their module for shipping had to be upgraded after USPS made some "code changes" on July 21st. I wonder if that's why Prestashop is having issues but I'm at a loss as to why I didn't have issues prior to this week.

To remove the Free Shipping! all you have to do is edit translations, Go to localization, Translations, Front office translations, scroll down the page to Shopping Cart and where you find Free Shipping! put the text you want in the corresponding text field.

You can also remove the tax labels (tax incl.) (tax excl.) by finding the labels and in the corresponding text area either click with your mouse and add 1 space with the space bar or if there in additional text such as Price (tax incl.) just put Price in the text field.

Be sure and Click Save.

• Like 2

To remove the Free Shipping! all you have to do is edit translations, Go to localization, Translations, Front office translations, scroll down the page to Shopping Cart and where you find Free Shipping! put the text you want in the corresponding text field. You can also remove the tax labels (tax incl.) (tax excl.) by finding the labels and in the corresponding text area either click with your mouse and add 1 space with the space bar or if there in additional text such as Price (tax incl.) just put Price in the text field. Be sure and Click Save.

For some reason, that has never worked for me. Wish it did, I'm really tired of all the stupid little quirks this software has. They need a polished version of 1.5, I've spent many months trying to polish the turd.

• Like 1

For some reason, that has never worked for me. Wish it did, I'm really tired of all the stupid little quirks this software has. They need a polished version of 1.5, I've spent many months trying to polish the turd.

Here is another fix you can try this one requires editing some code but pretty simple.

This also works but for many its easier if you can direct them to an easy fix from the BO.

@ around line 598 in ajax-cart.js, change the script as below.

Change this:

if (parseFloat(jsonData.shippingCostFloat) > 0 || jsonData.nbTotalProducts < 1)

$('.ajax_cart_shipping_cost').text(jsonData.shippingCost);

else

if (typeof(freeShippingTranslation) != 'undefined')

$('.ajax_cart_shipping_cost').html(freeShippingTranslation);

To This:

if (parseFloat(jsonData.shippingCostFloat) == 0 && parseInt(jsonData.nbTotalProducts) >= 0)

else

• Like 2

I have this same issue everyone else is having. I agree with Sage Outdoors that PrestaShop needs a lot of polishing. It has been a nightmare for me to work with up to this point. Bug after bug I have had to figure out. I won't be using PrestaShop for any future E-commerce sites until it matures much much more. Interface looks great, code needs some work.

As for this issue, the first thing I figured out is you can't use the 1 page checkout (or PayPal Express Quick Checkout) since it will bypass shipping options, you have to use the 5 step process to force them at one step to pick shipping. I also found out it is not a good idea to use "Guest Checkout", since it will create the same customer multiple times if they use the Guest Checkout over and over. The first work around I made was change the TEXT for "Free Shipping!" in the Translation section. This fixed the text on the checkout page, but not the shopping cart drop down on all the pages. I used tdr170 JAVASCRIPT code fix in this thread to fix that (it shows shipping as $0.00 now) . The only issue I still have left is on the checkout page, if I use the "+" to increase the quantity, it goes back to "Free Shipping!". I searched all the PrestaShop code, and even the database, and "Free Shipping!" does not exist after I changed it in all parts of the code. And yes I cleared the browser and Prestashop caches. So I am lost as to why when I change the quantity in the checkout it changes the text. My only guess is the text "Free Shipping" is somewhere in the code, and it appends the "!" at the end.

If anyone has any suggestions on this last fix let me know. But this "Free Shipping" showing up for new visitors is an issue I think a lot of people are having. Thanks.

• Like 1

My polishing the turd comment is the result of countless hours trying to keep my site running.

I thought 1.5.3 was good enough for a simple site, but after many months of using it live, it was actually still beta as we all know. Now we have multiple revisions since then and already there is talk about a major generation change again.

Just don't have high expectations, its decent for free I guess. In reality its very expensive time wise if your time has much value. To get things working I had to purchase modules for shipping and payment. My little site is still bugged out, I just tried to do a 10% off sale and can't figure out whats wrong now. More hours of research to piss away.

Keep in mind that when you upgrade the software you loose the tweaks in the code. Even when I just upgraded the theme, I had to redo the cart tweaks. Its a time consuming affair to put it lightly. The constant revised versions do not fix old problems, I sure wish Prestashop could settle on one version and actually have stupid things like the free shipping and the tax issues solved.

I guess its as good as any other open software, haven't found anything else better for free.

• Like 2

I have this same issue everyone else is having. I agree with Sage Outdoors that PrestaShop needs a lot of polishing. It has been a nightmare for me to work with up to this point. Bug after bug I have had to figure out. I won't be using PrestaShop for any future E-commerce sites until it matures much much more. Interface looks great, code needs some work.

As for this issue, the first thing I figured out is you can't use the 1 page checkout (or PayPal Express Quick Checkout) since it will bypass shipping options, you have to use the 5 step process to force them at one step to pick shipping. I also found out it is not a good idea to use "Guest Checkout", since it will create the same customer multiple times if they use the Guest Checkout over and over. The first work around I made was change the TEXT for "Free Shipping!" in the Translation section. This fixed the text on the checkout page, but not the shopping cart drop down on all the pages. I used tdr170 JAVASCRIPT code fix in this thread to fix that (it shows shipping as $0.00 now) . The only issue I still have left is on the checkout page, if I use the "+" to increase the quantity, it goes back to "Free Shipping!". I searched all the PrestaShop code, and even the database, and "Free Shipping!" does not exist after I changed it in all parts of the code. And yes I cleared the browser and Prestashop caches. So I am lost as to why when I change the quantity in the checkout it changes the text. My only guess is the text "Free Shipping" is somewhere in the code, and it appends the "!" at the end.

If anyone has any suggestions on this last fix let me know. But this "Free Shipping" showing up for new visitors is an issue I think a lot of people are having. Thanks.

With 1.5.3, I'm using one page check out but, there are major bugs in the shipping options. My issue is when I want to give the customer more than one shipping option, currently I can only offer one type of service under each carrier. One service for USPS and one service for UPS etc.. Haven't researched it much lately. But the free shipping thing with new visitors is a ongoing problem. I don't allow guest check out and I put instructions on my home page explaining the log in and shipping. I use the Presto-Changeo USPS shipping module with the "Shipping Rates" buttons. One button is in the drop down cart and another on the product page. Its a big help, customers can estimate shipping without sign up. And it obvious there is shipping cost with that "shipping rates" button.

Edited by Sages Outdoors (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have the same trouble too, except a variation of the above. If I switch one of my carriers on or off (or make some other edit with regards to shipping) my store loses all assocation to shipping addresses and as well as the "free shipping" error, states that "there is no carrier to the destination". Whenever this happens (as it's not great for sales!) I have to frantically switch features on and off in the shipping section until something usually brings it back to life again.

Yesterday, my shipping price increased itself by £0.02 -no joke...! I couldn't believe it. Fortunately it decided to revert back to the shipping price I'd chosen. Another customer yesterday said the voucher field had become a "required field" -I don't know if all these problems are related.

Completely agree about all the bugs in 1.5 -it's a nightmare. I was using 1.1 and 1.4 before and relatively happy with it, but this installation is causing me to waste hours a day on fixing dozens of things, most of which are random and hard to fix.

Is there any improvement with this issue from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4? I'm wondering if there are a bunch of files I can replace that will overcome at least the worst of my problems with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm also having the same issue. Just a couple of weeks ago, the correct shipping cost appears in the cart, but now, it always says FREE SHIPPING, even if I modified the zones, etc. Could anyone help me get this problem fixed? Thank you very much.

I simply did this trick:

=>module/blockcart/blockcart.tpl near line 38 changed the varible value from Free Shipping to Login Required

var freeShippingTranslation = '{l s='Login Required!' mod='blockcart' js=1}';

Once the customer is logged in he/she could see the actual shipping price. I hope this tweak will help :)

• Like 1

Hello mates,

I do have the same problem and I would say that mine is more complicated.

Although the "free shipping" appears everywhere, at the step 4 (5 step check out) carriers are dissapeared and the whole procedure stop at step 4, resulting inomplete shopping.

Any suggestions?

Do you use 'warehouses'? If you do, you should indicate there what carrier can be used for products from this ware house. Is there maybe something wrong here?

• Like 2

Have you tried changing..... /themes/default/shopping-cart.tpl - line 126 or thereabouts

<td colspan="2" class="price" id="total_shipping">{l s='Free Shipping!'}</td>

Yes I already changed this in that file (along with all files with "Free Shipping!" listed in them), and I still have the issue where if I use the "+" to increase the quantity, it goes back to "Free Shipping!". I have not been able to find a fix to this issue at this time. The only thing it could be is it is getting "Free Shipping" from the database or code and appending the "!" at the end.  When I search all the code and database I search for "Free Shipping!" since if I search for "Free Shipping" I get to many hits, and some of which I don't want to change (for example if I want it to say free shipping if the order amount is above a certain amount).

This issue should be fixed by the PrestaShop team regardless since this is causing too many people issues.  Basically the "Free Shipping" should be changed to something like "None selected" when no shipping provider is selected, and it should say "Shipping: $0.00" on the cart downdown (which the Javascript in this thread fixes) prior to selecting a shipping method.  It should only say "Free Shipping" when they select a Free Shipping method, or their order is over a certain amount and it triggers the Free Shipping.

• Like 1

most of the time what u call BUGS come with touching too many things in the settings.... when ever u change something whatever you change make sure to remember what u did cuz sometimes are 1 way road changes and with no coming back. I dont get that problem with the shipping ...and never did...so not sure u can call it a bug.... the people who are having this "bug" most of the time get it because they have been messing around with settings and re editing files :P

most of the time what u call BUGS come with touching too many things in the settings.... when ever u change something whatever you change make sure to remember what u did cuz sometimes are 1 way road changes and with no coming back. I dont get that problem with the shipping ...and never did...so not sure u can call it a bug.... the people who are having this "bug" most of the time get it because they have been messing around with settings and re editing files :P

The reason we are touching so many settings and files is because the shopping cart is not running as attended. I personally hate having to make too many custom edits because once you do a upgrade you loose many of them and have to reapply.  So I try to avoid making as many major changes as possible, and I am sure most others feel the same way.  But if you read all the posts above you see people are having lots of weird issues with things changing on their own, having to disable and reenable modules for them to work, or having to resort to custom hacks to make things operate like they should.  The problem with the shipping is it says "Free Shipping" and even offers free shipping in some instances (1 page checkout) when you want it to show the shipping cost, or force the default shipping method to be calucaluted for visitors.  To make this all work as attended you have to edit translations text, edit Javascript (for the cart drop down), and have 5 checkout process selected (to force them to select shipping method). Read above at all the workarounds and issues from several users.  So several of us are experiencing the exact same issues.

Just because you use default settings and it does the job for your specific store, and your okay with it saying "Free Shipping" before they select a shipping method, does not mean we all feel the same. So call it what you want, "bug" or "operational inefficently", but basically the shopping cart is not working as expected, and a lot of us are spending time working through "issue" after "issue".  I know I have worked through many, and in some of the workarounds to make it work I noticed that Prestashop is the only system with this issue (based on the past shopping carts I used), which leads me to believe in a lack of maturity of the underlining code. Personally I think the system looks great, but after going through the forums working out my own issues, I see too many people with the same issues or concerns. So we only hope that if we bring up the issues the PrestaShop team will see them and offer fixes to the issues brought up.  Of course most of us like the system otherwise we would have not chosen it, what we don't like it having to resort to all these custom "hacks" to make things work as attended.

Well...I'm not sure why...but mine doesnt say free shipping..unless the price is over 75 euros..as set....and on all the other cases it shows the shipping cost and it properly add it to the final cost...thats why I couldnt see what u guys are calling bug...sorry...

Sure, there might be an error with the carrier configuration, but still, no carrier available is fundamentally different from "free shipping". The first is an error. The second is an active choice.

This issue should be fixed by the PrestaShop team regardless since this is causing too many people issues.  Basically the "Free Shipping" should be changed to something like "None selected" when no shipping provider is selected, and it should say "Shipping: $0.00" on the cart downdown (which the Javascript in this thread fixes) prior to selecting a shipping method.  It should only say "Free Shipping" when they select a Free Shipping method, or their order is over a certain amount and it triggers the Free Shipping.

Exactly!

Yes I already changed this in that file (along with all files with "Free Shipping!" listed in them), and I still have the issue where if I use the "+" to increase the quantity, it goes back to "Free Shipping!". I have not been able to find a fix to this issue at this time. The only thing it could be is it is getting "Free Shipping" from the database or code and appending the "!" at the end.  When I search all the code and database I search for "Free Shipping!" since if I search for "Free Shipping" I get to many hits, and some of which I don't want to change (for example if I want it to say free shipping if the order amount is above a certain amount).

Fixed?

Are you kidding ok?

Hahahahaha

Hey gang, try this...it worked for me anyway. Seems too easy but maybe we were all over analizing the situation...

Shipping > Shipping > go down to Carrier options and change the Default carrier from "best price" to what ever carrier you want to show. If you leave "best price" then I believe that is where the "Free Shipping" text is generated from.

I am in the US so I chose my USPS carrier, then the buyer gets to see a shipping price instead of the words "free shipping"  Then, for example, I can have my customers pick up their order in my store, but that option is not visable until the "shipping" part of the checkout. But at least this way, your buyer can see some besides "Free Shipping" in the first screen whether they are logged in or not... now this worked for me...does not mean it will work for all of you but give it a try.

Let me know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please i try every suggestion you provide but keeps showing free shipping on the cart,    on the list of products to check out it says calculate shipping and when they sign in it change but first impression is free shipping .

PLEASE HELP :(

I changed occurrences of the phrase in the localization settings (offline of course, otherwise the following bug kicks in: Warning! Your PHP configuration limits the maximum number of fields allowed in a form: 1000 for max_input_vars.)

It worked; then I upgraded to 1.5.6 and guess what? I'm offering free shipping again!

I guess the non-resolution of this has become a point of honor for the prestashop team. 

I've done a temporary fix too by changing the translation on a couple of templates from 'Free Shipping' to 'login for shipping costs to your area'. I have no free shipping, so it will work for now, but I hope a more permanent solution can be found.

• 3 weeks later...

I still have the exact issue and never found a fix for it.  It is good to see someone else is having the same issue and it is not only me. I would be interested in a fix for this also if anyone has one.

We too are stuck with the 'free shipping' text coming back following cart item quantity update.

Driving me slightly mad!

If anyone's got a solution to this specifically I'd be very grateful for a steer.

I found a bit of a dirty workaround that does work, with some caveats.

What we did was disable guest checkout.

Then in blockcart.tpl I've conditioned the var declaration of the free shipping! text around whether a user is logged in or not.

So when they're logged in, it shows free shipping! if the rule means that shipping is validly free

When they're not logged in, it shows TBC.

I still have the exact issue and never found a fix for it.  It is good to see someone else is having the same issue and it is not only me. I would be interested in a fix for this also if anyone has one.

We too are stuck with the 'free shipping' text coming back following cart item quantity update.

Driving me slightly mad!

If anyone's got a solution to this specifically I'd be very grateful for a steer.

Please i try every suggestion you provide but keeps showing free shipping on the cart,    on the list of products to check out it says calculate shipping and when they sign in it change but first impression is free shipping .

PLEASE HELP :(

I've found quite some solutions through this forum so I feel obliged to give back what I know.

I've spent quite some time searching for solutions and found below to be the best one's.

****Make sure you back up your whole files/site before doing any of the following****

1. This may be a good solution:

http://nemops.com/hide-shipping-cost/

2. This also worth studying:

3. You can also just do translate the wording "free shipping" to the sort like "to be determined" this then makes more sense to the customers...

Personaly, my take. I know other shopping carts do not have this problem. This is a very serious issue if you are really selling things online as a true business. I know there are just customers that would not feel very happy when the cart first shows "free shipping" and after they logged in or keyed their delivery address and found that shipping is not free! Most customers can understand this but you never know if you've alienated their views on your shop!

Other shopping carts they only start to display the shipping charge in cart after customers filled in their address... This makes more sense to me!

• Like 1

Prestashop developers: it is possible that a CRITICAL bug as the free shipping text showed to unregistered customers on cart summary is still there?

you are making an ECOMMERCE software not a community blog. you should assign priorities upon this. put yuour self in the head of a customer that goes on a Prestashop store, adds to the cart some item, sees the free shipping text and after login sees shipping costs. what you think??? the new Prestashop version with this little issue is DAMNAGING many merchants.

For ECOMMERCE developers a PRIORITY is not only that the software works, but that works IN THE right commercial way. what should be considered a secondary issue on another web project, is a CRITICAL issue for sellers.

PLEASE ASSIGN TO THIS BUG IT'S APPRORPIATE PRIORITY. IT IS CRITICAL.

what should be the right way to fix?

it is simple: instead of free shipping the cart summary should write: "Login for shipping costs". think this is not hard to fix. do you want make ECOMMERCE?

I've found quite some solutions through this forum so I feel obliged to give back what I know.

I've spent quite some time searching for solutions and found below to be the best one's.

****Make sure you back up your whole files/site before doing any of the following****

1. This may be a good solution:

http://nemops.com/hide-shipping-cost/

2. This also worth studying:

3. You can also just do translate the wording "free shipping" to the sort like "to be determined" this then makes more sense to the customers...

Personaly, my take. I know other shopping carts do not have this problem. This is a very big issue if you are really selling online. I know there are just customers that would not feel very happy when the cart first shows "free shipping" and after they logged in or keyed their delivery address and found that shipping is not free!

Other shopping carts they only start to show the shipping charge in cart after customers filled in their address... This makes more sense to me!

The problem with a lot of custom code changes is that they get wiped out when you upgrade Prestashop versions, and they need to get re-applied. So doing too many custom changes is a pain, and I try to minimize them.

Things like this (with so many user responses) should be fixed in the main line code, or the process improved to take care of the concerns brought up. But in my experience the Prestashop team seem not willing to fix some issues and concerns (I have brought up several to them that don't exist in other E-commerce software).  I really like the look and feel of Prestashop, but due to the contining issues with the underlining code, I have decided to use other E-commerce software until they work out their issues. Prestashop still has some growing up to do and many bugs to be fixed.

• Like 1

The problem with a lot of custom code changes is that they get wiped out when you upgrade Prestashop versions, and they need to get re-applied. So doing too many custom changes is a pain, and I try to minimize them.

Things like this (with so many user responses) should be fixed in the main line code, or the process improved to take care of the concerns brought up. But in my experience the Prestashop team seem not willing to fix some issues and concerns (I have brought up several to them that don't exist in other E-commerce software).  I really like the look and feel of Prestashop, but due to the contining issues with the underlining code, I have decided to use other E-commerce software until they work out their issues. Prestashop still has some growing up to do and many bugs to be fixed.

That is so true its SAD.

I have my little shop running still with the free shipping crap issue and it does OK, but messing around with the bugs is hopeless. Its amazing how the simple little quirks are still in the latest version. Complicated shop issues get attention but, the SIMPLE free shipping text remains and the work arounds are absurd for ecommerce software this advanced.

So much of it is great, but the growing up is years past due. I don't understand why people would not get a basic set up perfected and then add all the bells. The core back office is not stabil and you want multishop? It has so many nice features, but they never get them sorted out before moving on to a new generation!

Oh well... I can't recommend it with so many little ongoing quirks. I'm trying to decide what to do, I need to build a new site myself!

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

The way I fixed it was that I went to Localizations>Translations>Back Office Translations>Default> clicked on the "american flag", as that is my default language and then searched for all the "Free Shipping" line and beside it wrote "Proceed to Checkout" in the pink box. I did this in each line where free shipping appeared and then clicked on Update translations.

And then I did the same with the Back Office Translations location, and on all the locations where "free shipping" appeared.

I also did the same changes but to my Theme, instead of default. Changed each line of Free Shipping . saved, and now where ever it showed Free Shipping, Proceed to Checkout appears.

You can write whatever you want in that pink line beside free shipping.

Thats how it worked for me.

Hope this helps. cheers.

This technique has been described over and over, and many of us have done this, yet it doesn't fix everything.  The problem is even if you change this, there is still issues with the free shipping showing up in the checkout block on the right (fix for this is ealier in the thread and requires editing code), and then there is this issue where the free shipping comes back when you change quanity.   I can't even upgrade now because if I do I am afaird it will wipe out some of the code changes I made to fix this. I agree with "Sages Outdoors" in saying the software looks nice on top, but is ugly underneath. For a software pushing themselves so hard, I am suprised the code has so many issues.  I can say based on my past years working with ZenCart (was hoping PrestaShop would be my replacement), Zencart codebase was much more stable. I really like the look and feel of Prestashop, but I can't use it for any future projects based on its current state. I have worked through 5-10 issues on 1 website, and most of all these issues you needed to have a workaround to fix, or edit the database directory to fix things.

So yes some solutions work for some people (based on what is enabled/disabled), but not all people. That is why the posts above exist.

Hey Everyone,

The way I fixed it was that I went to Localizations>Translations>Back Office Translations>Default> clicked on the "american flag", as that is my default language and then searched for all the "Free Shipping" line and beside it wrote "Proceed to Checkout" in the pink box. I did this in each line where free shipping appeared and then clicked on Update translations.

And then I did the same with the Back Office Translations location, and on all the locations where "free shipping" appeared.

I also did the same changes but to my Theme, instead of default. Changed each line of Free Shipping . saved, and now where ever it showed Free Shipping, Proceed to Checkout appears.

You can write whatever you want in that pink line beside free shipping.

Thats how it worked for me.

Hope this helps. cheers.

The problem is simple: the blockcart should not show 'Free shipping!' when there are no carriers available. Previous solutions have suggested looking at the login status, but that's not directly related to the issue.  Here's my solution. 

Edit blockcart.tpl, find the section

<span id="cart_block_shipping_cost" class="price ajax_cart_shipping_cost">{$shipping_cost}</span>
           <span>{l s='Shipping' mod='blockcart'}</span>

and replace it with:

{if ($shipping_cost_float != 0 ) ||  (isset($carrier->id) && !is_null($carrier->id))}
            <span id="cart_block_shipping_cost" class="price ajax_cart_shipping_cost">{$shipping_cost}</span>
            <span>{l s='Shipping' mod='blockcart'}</span>
          {/if}

This will not allow free shipping to display when there are no carriers.  Note, this isn't entirely ajax dynamic in that the blockcart won't update whether shipping displays or not until the page is reloaded or a new page is navigated to.  But it works in all important cases (logging out does a page refresh).  Hopefully the devs will implement a true dynamic solution, but it seems to work OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, alright. 

After ~4 hours screwing around with code and back office settings I actually managed to figure this out this afternoon.

I originally deleted the original zones in prestashop, which meant that by default it 'thought' there was no available carrier.. and so I got the blasted "Free Shipping!" message for guest users. There's a code based solution to this somewhere in this thread that I used to force it to say "Please log in to see shipping cost". Win. Kind of... there was still problems with logged in users who had not yet specified an address.

Anyway, due to some weird bugs I was experiencing after having emptied and restructured everything to do with zones, countries, states and taxes (that I was pulling my hair out over trying to figure out how to fix) I eventually gave up and set up a dummy fresh install on a separate domain and dropped, then reimported the critical tables from that installs database to my working test site.. ..so now my zones/countries/states are all back to raw prestashop..

Everything now works. What the hell.

So as far as I can tell after more screwing around trying to recreate the fault, if you disable or remove any of prestashop's default zones it causes a default "Free Shipping!" message to appear.

If instead, you leave prestashop's zones well alone but make sure that for you default carrier you set up shipping costs for ALL ZONES (even ones you won't use - just make them the same as you default/home country) then prestashop will use the default shipping rates for guests. No more "Free Shipping!" Success.

But what if I don't want to ship to all zones you say? 

Well, on the countries page in the back office (which also must not have been touched i suspect) you can enable or disable countries without impacting this at all. Which means that only places you actually ship to will ever be able to register their address and place an order. So that's no biggy. You just have to fill in the other zones rates to your chosen default and ignore them.

What if my shipping rates don't match up to prestashop's zones?

Yeh tough. I haven't tested this yet, but here's what I reckon. LEAVE ALL DEFAULT ZONES IN PLACE AND ENSURE THEY HAVE DEFAULT CARRIER RATES DEFINED AS PER YOUR NEEDS. Then add your own zones as extras, point the various countries to the applicable zones and you should be fine. If you want to be super fancy, you can use some of the above coding/translations info to change the word "Shipping" to "Shipping Estimate" for guests.

Before you say it, I agree this isn't a good solution - the functionality is really dodgy here and needs to be address so that we don't face this problem, its too hard to pick up on without researching the real back end code of prestashop... But I'm happy with a solution that works..  and as it turns out I'll be user a third party shipping module anyway..   hope someone can make sense of this though and fix their issue.

Edited by ajspiano (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That makes PERFECT sense and I too deleted all the PS default shipping junk so I suspect that is my problem also. Re-installing is just not an option so I used the code based solution BUT I put NO text between the '   ' in the code, just spaces, so my cart shows no text at all when an instance of "Free Shipping" would otherwise show in stead of "Log in to see shipping". That way whether a guest or user, that field appears blank, when actually it's about 5 spaces.

PS... LOVE the sarcasm! We feel your pain!

I spent some time to investigate this problem and found some solution to my specific situation.  Except  free shipping , there was error "no carriers available" at the fourth step of the checkout. That was caused by the place where the delivery would start - warehouse . When you go to admin/catalog/products you find the tab "warehouse". Connect your product to a warehouse. Than go to Stock -> Warehouses, click edit at the Warehouse you need, fill in all required fields and the main one - CHOSE at least ONE CARRIER in the CARRIERS list. Save changes and the Carrier will appear in the 4th step of the checkout if the customer address is from the same zone with the warehouse. 

This also ended the "the always free shipping" problem.
P.S. The mentioned Prestashop version is 1.5.6

• Like 2

In my case, it gets by default zone "Europe". I have enabled this zone for my default carrier and define the shipping cost I want to show when user is not logged.

PS 1.5.4.1.

You can not show a shipping cost to a customer that is not logged in as there is no way to define their location.

Anyone can visit your site but not all will be in your zone.

You can not show a shipping cost to a customer that is not logged in as there is no way to define their location.

Anyone can visit your site but not all will be in your zone.

It depends in the shipping costs defined in your store. For example, I could set same cost worldwide or same cost for all the zones available in my store (so it will be always the same cost, no matter the customer zone).

Anyway, what i tried to say in my previous message was that PS shows a shipping cost, and in my store it was by default "Europe". I suppose that this is because my store default country is "Spain", which belongs to "Europe" zone.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue can be changed just by changing translations in front office feature and installed modules no need to edit files.

I also resend my statement about shipping not showing to non registered customers as I use the UPS and USPS modules and with the way the shipping is set in my store shipping does not show until you enter an address.

If I create a carrier and define the cost and set that to default shipper then the cost will show to all groups or not.

• 1 month later...

Find your blockcart folder in modules and edit blockcart.tpl, and you are going to change the text 'Free Shipping' for 'To be Calculated'. Please view next example. Hope it helps.

<script type="text/javascript">
    var customizationIdMessage = '{l s='Customization #' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var removingLinkText = '{l s='remove this product from my cart' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var freeShippingTranslation = '{l s='To be Calculated' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var addedSuccessfully = '{l s='Your product has been successfully added to your cart!' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var freeProductTranslation = '{l s='Free!' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var delete_txt = '{l s='Delete' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var ajaxcart_allowed = {if (isset($ajax_allowed)) && ($ajax_allowed ==1)}1{else}0{/if};

Find your blockcart folder in modules and edit blockcart.tpl, and you are going to change the text 'Free Shipping' for 'To be Calculated'. Please view next example. Hope it helps.

<script type="text/javascript">
    var customizationIdMessage = '{l s='Customization #' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var removingLinkText = '{l s='remove this product from my cart' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var freeShippingTranslation = '{l s='To be Calculated' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var addedSuccessfully = '{l s='Your product has been successfully added to your cart!' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var freeProductTranslation = '{l s='Free!' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var delete_txt = '{l s='Delete' mod='blockcart' js=1}';
    var ajaxcart_allowed = {if (isset($ajax_allowed)) && ($ajax_allowed ==1)}1{else}0{/if};

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I run 1.5.4.1 and had same issue with free shipping for non logged in users, that's annoying. Didn't read the entire topic so don't know if someone already suggested it but disabling the shipping estimation module and basket block both for guests than visitors fixed the problem.

I don't use guest checkout in my shop so i disabled shipping estimation module for guests too but those who actually use guest checkout may just disable shipping estimation module and basket block for visitors only.

To do it just go to customers>groups then click the modify icon and unauthorize both modules inside module restriction tab and hit save.

Once done, not logged in users will be still able to add product to basket but if they mouse over the basket tab nothing will happen (instead of opening the tab with shipping estimation). If they click on it the basket opens but without shipping estimation.

Guess this is the fastest and easiest method to accomplish this task

Hope could help!

Omar