Hosting global.css on another domain (cookieless)

Hello guys!

I'm very into speed improvement this days, honestly its a hard task.

I want to know how are the css files referred into the code, as an exaple like ../theme/img/picture.jpg where I could find those but for the css files? I have already hosted them on another server and domain, but I cannot point to the css on the external server because I don't know where to do this.

Thanks!

Nothing on any of the files in config, thanks for your response :)

I hope someone has the solution, I will look closely tomorrow for this, all day, till I solve it or get sure that its IMPOSSIBLE to do, but if anyone knows it without that much trouble would be awesome, I will update you in case anyone else wants to do it, there is so little information on cookieless domains and it seems vital for site speed.

well, it's a good idea for speed optimisation? Im totally noobish in this case, but im interested in this topic (it's time to learn something :D)

But... this is for load time optimisation, am I right? So how is it speed up the web page, if there are additional connections to external host (dns requests + time to load external files) ?

The way that it speeds up the site is a browser is limited to 8 concurrent downloads from one domain. So if you are hosting resources across domains you can download more resources at once. Basically what he is talking about is using the media servers that are built into prestashop, that is what they do.

• Like 1

well, it's a good idea for speed optimisation? Im totally noobish in this case, but im interested in this topic (it's time to learn something :D)

But... this is for load time optimisation, am I right? So how is it speed up the web page, if there are additional connections to external host (dns requests + time to load external files) ?

It is supposed to be... there is the 8 downloads at the same time thing, and the other thing is the cookieless elements. Cookies makes unnecessary transfers for static elements, I found that making a subdomain on the domain prestashop is, wont make it cookieless so its better to open a new domain just to serve static content.

But there is so little information about this, almost no one does it as I can see.

uhmm well, the site is http://tecnorockolas.com I got an 86/100 from google and 81 or a "B" from Yslow.

I have already:

- Succesfully sprited all the images that I could

- Minify CSS code

- Optimize images

- Added mod_deflate to htaccess

- Made asyncrounous load on Java

- Optimized the order of styles and scripts

Thats it, only thing left for me is CDN and Cookieless domains as far as I know.

Everything else about optimization was already ok.

Edited by Tecno Rockolas (see edit history)

I would at least move it up to the mid 90's before I started messing with media servers. You can still do a lot locally and reduce the page further. You could knock about 8-10 requests off the front page which would negate using the media server.

I would at least move it up to the mid 90's before I started messing with media servers. You can still do a lot locally and reduce the page further. You could knock about 8-10 requests off the front page which would negate using the media server.

Thank you very much.

What do you mean about requests wich would negate using the media server?

What requests would you remove? Sorry, I don't want to give you trouble, but since you said the number lol

The site currently loads 4 css files, I would make it only 1 file by combining the other ones. It appears that the home page also loads the facebook js from both secure and unsecure locations, I would reduce that to just one location, the secure one. You can knockout about 4 images going to another sprite, actually you might be able to knock out 5 if you put them all in the other sprite. Depending on how much you want to poke around under the hood, you could add your logo to that sprite and custom code it in.

Various other recommendations like adding the image sizes in, don't scale images. Actually, if you want to reduce the page further, you can scale them, but scale them up. Like have a 80 x 80 image display as 100 x 100 and most people will never notice the quality difference.