Can I run my prestashop on a VPS? Any of you guys do that ?

I don't have a dedicated server , and after marketing i'm hoping to get 1000-2000 visitors a (on a GOOD) day :rolleyes:

I really want to know my VPS powerful enough to handle that.

2000 products + simple theme design (corporate pro) + NO flash

CPU - 1.13 GHZ , (i can use 100% guaranteed cpu)

RAM -768 ,

Space 30GB ,

Bandwidth 500GB

It's level 3 VPS + cpanel with famous hosting provider (i don't know i can post names on this forum)

And i really appreciate if you post any experience with similar hosting plans and give me any advice.

well, my customers uses VPS with similar configuration, works great - much better than shared hostings. One of my customers has got about ~1500 uu/day, with maximum ~20 uu ONLINE, with configuration:

debian 64

ram 1gb - burst 2gb

cpu - 2000

standard lamp package (apache with mod_rewrite, mysql with innodb, php with basics modules)

ftp service active

mail service active (~10 mail boxes)

no cache

max ram usage: about 600 mb

• 5 weeks later...

but you've got an access to the ssh ?

DOnt know SSH even i got or not

I think i need someone to maiten my store

24/7 support but no one is answring

i opend 3 ticket - 2 of them are missing - cant find them in the history.

vekia, do you know a good maitenance guy ?

I think once you hit that target or get close to it 1000-2000 visits per day you will need to upgrade your ram to at least 3gb and thats assuming your running nothing else on that server. Id also suggest keeping an eye on your bandwidth limit, depending on how you built the store how many products and file size and the average bandwidth each visitor is using, when you have 1000s of visits at an assumed 3-5mb download each 500GB isnt going to last long!

One of my clients gets between 39,000 and 58,000 visits per month (unique so this does not include return visits) and bandwidth consumed is around 145GB and that's with a very small product range and plenty of compression in place!

Also its worth noting as the posts above show most VPS packages are sold UNMANGED so having some level of tech support or being able to employ a server tech is another cost to consider. Basic SSH is required on some to set up a php.ini file for example

Edited by cocothecat (see edit history)