US Zip Code Formats NNNNN(-NNNN) - Can Both Be Used?

Is there is a way to enable both USA zip code formats (5-digit and 9-digit) in PS 1.5.3.1?

In the Localization > Countries section in the BO I tried removing the default NNNNN ("No verification if undefined") for the USA hoping that might allow either format, but in testing this in the FO I got an error message telling me "Zip/Postal code is invalid. Must be typed as follows:" (and it was just blank after the "as follows:" text). So that didn't work. It is forcing me to use 5 digits regardless. And of course, changing it to NNNNN-NNNN forces you to use all 9 digits.

I tried to follow along with this post here but they lost me at "overrides", plus the code might not be the same in 1.5 anyway, so I have no idea how to even try that workaround. But from what I can tell, allowing a wildcard (NNNNN*) at least would be ideal, and for UK postal codes as well.

I'm not a developer so I need would some guidance for what files to change, and also what code I would need. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance!

~ Elaine

• 4 months later...

Is there is a way to enable both USA zip code formats (5-digit and 9-digit) in PS 1.5.3.1?

In the Localization > Countries section in the BO I tried removing the default NNNNN ("No verification if undefined") for the USA hoping that might allow either format, but in testing this in the FO I got an error message telling me "Zip/Postal code is invalid. Must be typed as follows:" (and it was just blank after the "as follows:" text). So that didn't work. It is forcing me to use 5 digits regardless. And of course, changing it to NNNNN-NNNN forces you to use all 9 digits.

I tried to follow along with this post here but they lost me at "overrides", plus the code might not be the same in 1.5 anyway, so I have no idea how to even try that workaround. But from what I can tell, allowing a wildcard (NNNNN*) at least would be ideal, and for UK postal codes as well.

I'm not a developer so I need would some guidance for what files to change, and also what code I would need. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance!

~ Elaine

Any help in this regard.. customer buying from APO etc can't place order on my website as they are required to enter all 9 digits zipcode

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...