[solved] Swap short and long description?

Hi

My products don't have very long descriptions anyway, and with the formatting of the product page (I have 'other items in this category' displayed), I realise that I would be better off having my product details in the 'short description'. Unfortunately, I only realised this after entering them all in the 'long description', for 350+ products.

Soooo, is there an easy way of swapping the short description for the long description on the product page with some nifty bit of code?

TIA

Mark

Prestashop version: 1.5.3.1

Shop URL: http://www.premsig.com/

Current theme in use: default

code below is for default prestashop template - but it works also for non-default themes

you should edit the product.tpl file located in your theme.

{$product->description}

this is variable for product description, put it there:

{if $product->description_short}
<div id="short_description_content" class="rte align_justify">{$product->description_short} ------HERE------</div>
  {/if}

final code:

<div id="short_description_content" class="rte align_justify">{$product->description_short} {$product->description}</div>
  {/if}

you can also use {$product->description} instead the {$product->description_short}

Thanks very much for the help, but neither solutions worked. I edited the product.tpl file in the default theme folder with the code you gave, and then just using {$product->description} but nothing changed when I checked my product pages, even when reloading.

{$product->description} - this is variable with full description

{$product->description_short} - this is variable with short description

so, which one works for you?

You said that you haven't got short_description - so in this case {$product->description_short} won't work.

But you've got normal description use the {$product->description} variable instead the description_short

I used

<div id="short_description_content" class="rte align_justify">{$product->description}</div>

And this works for products that already have a short description. For these products, the long description is now where the short description was.

For products that didn't have a short description, nothing has changed. The short description is still blank, with the long description under "other info".

ahh thanks for the info, now i know what you mean.

it's because in product.tpl you've got {if} condition:

{if $product->description_short OR $packItems|@count > 0}

you should remove it, after that description will appear properly. If you remove it - dont forget to remove the {/if} closing tag

• Like 1

Thanks again for your help, I'll try that. Just to be clear, do I remove that entire line of code, and the {/if}?

exactly, after that everything should work fine

waiting for your reply

regards

thanks for the url

i checked it on my shop and you've got there:

<div id="short_description_content" class="rte align_justify">{$product->description}</div>
{/if}

so as you can see, the:

{/if}

use code below only:

<div id="short_description_block">

{if $product->description}
<p class="buttons_bottom_block"><a href="javascript:{ldelim}{rdelim}" class="button">{l s='More details'}</a></p>
{/if}
{if $packItems|@count > 0}
<div class="short_description_pack">
<h3>{l s='Pack content'}</h3>
{foreach from=$packItems item=packItem}
<div class="pack_content">
{$packItem.pack_quantity} x <a href="{$link->getProductLink($packItem.id_product, $packItem.link_rewrite, $packItem.category)}">{$packItem.name|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}</a>
<p>{$packItem.description_short}</p>
</div>
{/foreach}
</div>
{/if}
</div>

still appears in this file. You should remove it

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hello,

i have a similar problem and hopefully  @vekia  can help: 

I have to include the 'long description'  (the normal description for the items,  also named 'full description')  in the shopping cart  (shop version 1.6.1.x).  I can not figure it out, i have tried various code but nothing works.

I already show the short description in the shopping cart  using the following code:

{if isset($product.description_short) && $product.description_short}<div id="short_description_block"><div id="short_description_content" class="rte align_justify" itemprop="description"><small>{str_replace("<br />", "", $product.description_short)}</small></div></div>{/if}

---  but i also need to do this with the normal, full description.

Is there any idea how to do this?    Thank you,  would be great!

Edited by DRMasterChief (see edit history)