Able to create custom thumbnails for product images? 1.5.4

I tried my damndest to find this out through the usual search, so forgive me if I just missed something obvious.

Currently the main way I know to add product photos in 1.5.4 is to upload images on Catalog > Products > Edit - then images tab.

From here, or anywhere else for that matter I have not been able to figure out how to have a separate file for the thumbnail so it appears different than the large version of the image.

Offhand being able to add a different thumbnail is helpful for me so I can keep the thumbnail in a square ratio while the large / full size image can be a different ratio, such as tall or wide.

Not possible, or I'm just missing where to toggle?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, you can't do it, as the pictures are generated for all sizes needed, and the one with "cover" is the one used as a thumbnail, and the first when in product page. You can try a bit of a trick by selkecting one image as cover, then add a default combination wityh a different image, so that this latter shows in the product view, and the other in categories

Ahh well thanks for the heads up. Perhaps a feature for the future, but I can see how it is a potential mess with the generate new thumbnails command that would just clear them all.

At least html is possible in the product descriptions to show custom images / thumbnails, but then the look of the default product image is still an issue.

As an update for anyone who wants custom thumbnail control bad enough, they appear to be kept in the /img/p

directory.

To find out where the thumbnail is, in chrome on the live site I did a right click on the desired thumbnail and then Copy URL image command. (it is a little more cluttered, but Inspect Element is another command to find out as well)

Once known, one can go inside the sub directories to find the appropriate directory.

For example my 51-large_atch/zombie-hunters-calendar-2013.jpg file ends up on the server in /img/p/5/1

I'm guessing this is less complicated when SEO friendly URLS are turned off.