European VAT number module not working?

zing

As this is module developed by prestashop I will ask this question here and not only in the TAX subsection:

How can I exclude tax from the purchase price of my customers who have successfully entered their VAT number when I'm using this European VAT number module?

I have it enabled and configured to my country (Finland) but the tax is still being added to everybody, including those who have entered valid VAT number when they registered their address.

How can I accomplish the tax exclusion from the purchase with this module?

Hi,

I'm quite sure that the default European VAT number module doesn't do anything regarding taxes. At least not on my stores.

In Denmark, the invoice must always contain the VAT amount, which is also paid.

Later on you subtract your purchase- and sales VAT, submit it to the authorities, and either pay VAT or get back VAT.

Isn't it also like this in Finland?

Hi,

I'm quite sure that the default European VAT number module doesn't do anything regarding taxes. At least not on my stores.

In Denmark, the invoice must always contain the VAT amount, which is also paid.

Later on you subtract your purchase- and sales VAT, submit it to the authorities, and either pay VAT or get back VAT.

Isn't it also like this in Finland?

Ah yes, for some reason I got in my head that this module was also supposed to make something to the tax. I was thinking purchases between two companies only. It is as you said, the VAT must be paid to the proper authorities and it needs to be announced in the invoice but there is one catch: If you sell stuff between companies you can allow them to make the purchase without the VAT if the company buying is also required to pay VAT and the product is bought for business intentions that include VAT.

So basically you can offer for the buying company pre-deducted price with VAT excluded from the price. This way the company will not deduct or announce the VAT from this purchase to the annual VAT deduction as it was already been deducted.

Do I make any sense? The only reason to have this module installed, in my mind at least, seems to be the idea that you could assure yourself that you can safely do the VAT deductions on your company because the other companies that bought stuff from you were also legitimately VAT companies also (because it was checked).

Edited by zing (see edit history)

Hi again Zing.

I am not sure of the laws in Finland, but in B2B sales between two Danish-registered companies in Denmark must always contain VAT.

I think it will require quite a few hours of coding work to remove tax if a number is entered in the VAT field.

It would of course be the best solution with an automated process, but if this workaround might work:

• Create country and call it something like "Finland BUSINESS"
  • Make new tax rule for "Finland BUSINESS" and remove remove tax settings from that country

Now when a company is ordering, they will not pay taxes if they select "Finland BUSINESS"

Hope this makes sense.. :)

• 1 year later...

Think you are mis-understanding Carlsen.

A sale between 2 EU member states should be zero rated VAT if the buyer supplies a valid EU VAT number. That's the whole purpose of the European VAT module in Presta, yet it doesn't work as it's supposed to. :(

Chris

http://www.PROtastic.co.uk

Edited by chris0241 (see edit history)

Think you are mis-understanding Carlsen.

A sale between 2 EU member states should be zero rated VAT if the buyer supplies a valid EU VAT number. That's the whole purpose of the European VAT module in Presta, yet it does work as it's supposed to. :(

Chris

http://www.PROtastic.co.uk

Exactly.. Have you fixed this yet? I need this function too since I am mostly B2B..

• 2 months later...

You need to properly configure taxes, tax rules, the European VAT number module and enable B2B mode as well. Then taxes are correctly calculated for all kind of bussiness entities and all countries.

WAIT!

I have seen that all that couldn't be enough. I have seen installed, enabled and configured the European VAT number module, but taxes was wrong in some cases. The catch was this module was unhooked. I uninstalled it and installed again and voilà! It worked.

The module works for us. We are UK based. If a European company adds their company VAT number then the do not pay VAT

BUT there is an issue you should all be aware of - shipping costs. We have a courier set up and we have to charge VAT to EU customers of course. If they do enter the VAT number, the VAT is STILL on the shipping costs

So lets say a customer from Germany

Domestic customer

Should pay VAT on Products -TICK this works

Should pay VAT on courier - TICK this works

Business Custome supplying VAT number

Should NOT pay VAT on products - TICK this works

Should NOT pay VAT on courier - this does NOT work

Any ideas how to fix that?

Can you try this query?

SELECT hm.id_module, hm.id_hook, hm.id_shop
FROM ps_hook_module hm
INNER JOIN ps_module m ON (hm.id_module = m.id_module)
WHERE m.name = 'vatnumber'

Is the result one row with three integers?

Yes, one row

id_module id_hook id_shop 361 100 1

I am still testing, but I uninstalled and reinstalled as you suggested on another thread and I think that may have solved it. I ran your sql test after the re-installation

So I ran the SQl on 2 other installations with the same problem. The result of that was that nothing was returned. So I uninstalled and re-installed and then we get the one row returned

So it looks like upgrades at some point have not worked correctly

Hi All,

I still have a huge problem with this as all my sales to the EU include VAT and I am loosing a lot of customers (probably!!!) and a lot of time in refunding VAT and explaining this. I am running 1.609 and DO NOT have B2B mode running as this seems to make no difference apart from asking all customers in every country for their SIRET and APE numbers. Basically when a customer enters any format entry in the tax field, according to my understanding this should remove the VAT from the products at the very least. However in my case this is not removed and I can find no way to remove the VAT from these orders.

Matthew

sinolec.co.uk

Matthew

Have you disabled the Company field? Just tried to register and there is no where to put the company details. The VAT number box will only appear after adding the company name

Hi Ron,

I have not disabled, but the VAT number field appears once you enter a company name, so this should be OK as far as I understand. The worked just fine in the earlier 1.4 version I was running, however now we have upgraded to 1.6 this will not remove the VAT!!!

Regards

Matthew

sinolec.co.uk

Ah, wait a minute

It does appear if you click register at the top of your page, but not if you check out as guest or create the account from the cart page

So, configuration somewhere. Most customers I think will use the register from the cart, not from the top of the page, so they will not be able to enter their company name and therfore the VAT number gets missed

Mind you. It still does not work - hmm

If you would like to PM me some log in details I can check your settings against ours and see if anything jumps out?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Matthew

Have you disabled the Company field? Just tried to register and there is no where to put the company details. The VAT number box will only appear after adding the company name

Not always. PS 1.6, Your address page (your_domain/en/address).

You have to check if vat_number is in the Address format for every EU country. I don't know why, but vat_number is missing for the UK.

Add the vat_number and then the VAT number field will appear regardless of the Company field.

To be clear, I am copying and pasting this into the query and saving and running this :

FROM ps_hook_module hm
INNER JOIN ps_module m ON
(hm.id_module = m.id_module)

Can you try this query?

FROM ps_hook_module hm
INNER JOIN ps_module m ON (hm.id_module = m.id_module)

Is the result one row with three integers?

Hi, I'm trying to configure my PS based in Germany with the EU tax rules.

I can' run the SQL above: "ps_hook_module" table is missing

How can Ifix it?

Hi, I'm trying to configure my PS based in Germany with the EU tax rules.

I can' run the SQL above: "ps_hook_module" table is missing

How can Ifix it?

Done another test: changed the prefix of the table with "qqn" and now it work:

id_module id_hook id_shop 74 91 1

Where can be found a tutorial where to understand how to configure PS for the EU countries?

• 1 year later...

Hello,

module installed and re-installed, it is hooked (i don't know if it needs to be in a specfic hook though but the sql gives result), B2B is enabled, vat validation during checkout is working but the vat is not deducting, what else should i check?