Call for shipping cost

I'm rather a newbie at Prestashop, this is my first store. It's selling an artist's work and for prints and so on there will be normal shipping rates set up. However, when an original work is sold, much of the shipping cost is likely to be quite individual. Is it possible to setup for specific products that shipping will have to done outside of the regular calculation?

Thanks

What does 'outside the regular calculation' mean? As your Header implies you want to let the client call to negotiate the costs?

How are the regular shipping costs calculated? By weight, price? If by weight, you could make the original works extremely heavy (say 5003 kg, instead of 3 kg), so that they fall outside the normal products range of weights. The normal products you can charge by using a carrier1 with ranges say u to 100 kg or so. Then set up a second carrier for this heavy range and give a special price here if you know already what price you want to charge.

If you really want them to call you, you can change the 2nd carrier to be 'free shipping' and then change the translation of 'Free shipping' in the translation menu to 'Call us for quote' or so. (may be more than one translation needed, give it a try)

Hope this gives some ideas. Not sure if this helps, though. If you have more details, let us know :-)

Pascal

Hi Pascal

Thank you for taking the time to reply so comprehensively.

All the prints on the site will be shipped for a flat fee, but selling the originals will mean that they are of widely varying size, weight and so on. Your advice seems to make sense and I'll put the options you have raised to my clients, although a communication this afternoon suggested that initially they may decide to only sell prints online until the shop is established and they are more used to selling in this way.

Thanks again

I'm not sure this might be helpful. Since your products are different and you would like to customize your shipping by each product. For me, If I sell the products in only one region. I would add the shipping fees in each product seperately by metioning as the product is already included flat rate shipping fee to ship in the USA for example.