A word about addons prices

Hi,

I've been worrying about the reason of the addons prices... Is there any for putting the addons prices so high?

Sample:

Canada Post shipping module is @75$

http://www.presto-ch...anada-post.html

Fedex Shipping module is @100$/

http://www.presto-changeo.com/en/shipping-modules/47-fedex.html

What are the reasons to put a such big price?

At this price, considering I'm an small budget online seller, I will never purchase this. So, they are for sur loosing a lot of sales at this price.

In my case, I'd buy it at 25$. So if we make the counts, they are probably loosing 3 sales out of four.

I'm not good at finances, but I think that this is revealing something...

Business management citation: Better a lot of smaller profit sales than a few big profit sales...

Think about it...

Edited by InformatikMP (see edit history)

Have you ever developed a module? I suspect no.

Do you have any idea how many hours go into creating and testing each module? I suspect an ever bigger no.

Instead of worrying about what sales we may be missing because of the way we price our modules (which are lower than most shops), think about how much time and money you will be losing by not using these modules, and see if it makes sense not to use them.

Think about it....

• Like 2

I though about it more than you think!

So much that I've figured out how to make the free FedEx shipping module working!

I'm not loosing money since I have finally a way to have the shipping fees charged at the order time.

I'd be curious to know how much people did like me, pushing on the harder free solution instead of the easy expensive one.

If i'd find a module that worth its price, maybe i'd buy it.

The free module is.... free, and you usually get what you pay for :)

Our module is much more flexible, and now offer label printing.

If you need the very basic options, then the free module will work for you, but if you need a more advanced shipping method and options, than you either need to develop them, or get a more complete module.

I can see the issue from both sides. I am a developer and I have to normally buy xxx dollars of modules for every shop. When I started I was full of piss and vinegar, I thought it was senseless to pay $75 or $100 for a module. That was crazy, who did they expect to pay that? Then I gained a little experience in the industry and I rolled back on myself. I realized as a developer I could make most of the modules (not all some are just light years over my head) that I would need, but my time to make them was worth way more than the cost to buy the module.

I think the thing that people do not realize when they see a module for $100 is the cost of development. Some of these modules have 10k or greater costs to develop. These guys that make these modules are not bartenders(or some other profession) that like to play with e-commerce at night, this is what they do for a living. They provide support for the modules, they know what they are doing with Prestashop.

I know it sucks to out lay money for the modules, but in the end, it is totally worth it. I have bought modules from most of the major Prestashop module makers and their support has been excellent.

One thing I will add to that diatribe too is that I have bought modules that have increased my clients sales. Not some that might be related to the module speculation, but actual tracked an verified.

If you sell like 1 or 2 orders every day then there is no need to purchase a logistics module (fedex, ups...) but if you start increasing orders then such module will save you time. $75 could be worth for that time.

Anyway, a developer also puts a price in a module if it may require maintenance. We developed one module and from time to time we have to give support to clients because they install other modules that aren't compatible with prestashop and/or our module. We could charge them for such tasks of making the module compatible. But instead of that we prefer to charge a little for the module so we can offer free suppport to our clients.

Just our opinion ;)

Greetings from Spain,

jc

Most of the modules advertised on addons are available to buy direct from the developers website at a reduced cost (just google it). Addons charge the developer a percentage of the sale so the developer must increase the price to cover this fee. Also, as has already been pointed out, you should start thinking of module purchases as an investment in your business not as a punitive cost. You should be choosing modules that increase your revenue or save you time or both.

Most of the modules advertised on addons are available to buy direct from the developers website at a reduced cost (just google it). Addons charge the developer a percentage of the sale so the developer must increase the price to cover this fee. Also, as has already been pointed out, you should start thinking of module purchases as an investment in your business not as a punitive cost. You should be choosing modules that increase your revenue or save you time or both.

This is against (as I understand it) PrestaShop add-on policies. If one lists their product on official site and also sell on their own site, it must be the same price.

I can see the issue from both sides. I am a developer and I have to normally buy xxx dollars of modules for every shop. When I started I was full of piss and vinegar, I thought it was senseless to pay $75 or $100 for a module. That was crazy, who did they expect to pay that? Then I gained a little experience in the industry and I rolled back on myself. I realized as a developer I could make most of the modules (not all some are just light years over my head) that I would need, but my time to make them was worth way more than the cost to buy the module.

I think the thing that people do not realize when they see a module for $100 is the cost of development. Some of these modules have 10k or greater costs to develop. These guys that make these modules are not bartenders(or some other profession) that like to play with e-commerce at night, this is what they do for a living. They provide support for the modules, they know what they are doing with Prestashop.

I know it sucks to out lay money for the modules, but in the end, it is totally worth it. I have bought modules from most of the major Prestashop module makers and their support has been excellent.

One thing I will add to that diatribe too is that I have bought modules that have increased my clients sales. Not some that might be related to the module speculation, but actual tracked an verified.

Maybe... But, my main point is that when your module page has a lot of visits but only few sales, it means something... there's 50% chances that this is because the price doesn't worth the advantage vs the free module or doing it's task manually.

I'm an independent worker, and I know what I'm taking about:

If at a X price you loose 75% of your sales, then a 25-33% price drop worth it big time.

Situation I had to deal with: Local non-profit organisms were rarely using my services at 40$/h, I dropped my fees to 30$/h then I got 50% more calls from them.

Perhaps my first example( drop a 75$ module to 25$) was a little extreme...

I have some developper in my personnal contacts that had their software development started a couple years ago, and they said the same thing.

This is the situation he gave me:

If a software takes a guy 100h to create, you estimate its time worth 30$/h, then your soft cost 3000$. If you sell it at 200$ i don't think you'll setll at all. But, If you drop your price to 100$, and you make 20 sales in the first week and then 5/week, is that a bad deal? In my calculations, you begin to make profits in 3 weeks.

Some of these modules have 10k or greater costs to develop

Omg these module are developped from scratch or uses paid libraries for sure! Or these developpers are estimating their time to 50-100$/h... 10k$ of dev cost... :blink:

Edited by InformatikMP (see edit history)