Error occurred: Please try to contact the merchant

leonidnk

Hi,

I have web-shop based on PrestaShop™ - http://www.kuzmin.se/prshop/. The shop and PayPal payments works since 2009 without any problems. Now it is PrestaShop™ 1.4.6.2

For about two days ago my customers begin to get message:

"Error occurred:

Please try to contact the merchant:

01. PayPal response:

02. ->"

And I begin to get E-mail messages:

"Hi,

Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module

A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:

PayPal response:

->"

I tried to solve the problem and installed the last PayPal module v3.4.5 and Backward compatibility v0.4. Did reset the PayPal module and provided PayPal API credentials. But, anyway, the same error occurs. My customers cannot pay by PayPal and I loose money and probably customers.

Please, help me.

Edited by leonidnk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks. Thus, if I move my web-shop to another host, I can get working PayPal payment?

I'm not sure, just trying to see if there is a link just in case everybody who this was happening to happened to use the same hosting company

If this is such a big problem how has it not been rectified yet?

My host in Storm Internet. They have let me have some spare webspace on a different IP address so I will be loading PS on that domain and doing a test to see if it goes through. If it does then maybe PayPal has blocked my IP. But why? This seems to be happening to so many Prestashop users that I can't help but think there is some error in the script. Such a big shame that the PS developers are doing nothing about this.

I feel exactly the same, the prestashop staff haven't even notified us that they are looking in to this problem or anything. This is costing me and no doubt many others money. Paypal haven't blocked the IP though as I am talking to one of their technicians who is also trying to help

My own workaround until any unified solution:

Hi,

Many online retailers suffer PayPal problem. Our web-shop as well. But there is a "workaround", if you want to pay by credit card or PayPal:

You make orders with "Pay by bank transfer" and write message to me. I through PayPal issue a claim, and you pay the claim by credit card or PayPal.

Sincerely, Leonid.

Update to this. I loaded one of my domains onto a server with a different IP address and all worked ok. I think there is a problem with the Prestashop PayPal module which is causing PayPal to block IP addresses. Thats my theory. Why else would PayPal start blocking so many Prestashop shops? Now I have to think about moving all of my sites to a new server but how long will that last until PayPal blocks again??

Ok the latest info I have from paypal/my guy who is working on my site is, the ip from my server to paypal is being blocked by this site http://www.att.com/#fbid=t1bpWzH00dO .I have no idea how or why but so far this is what they have traced it to

I'm not sure why AT&T would be blocking you. Seems a bit doubtful, perhaps your guy could tell us why he thinks it's them?

Glad you're PayPal module mow works but for how long. There has to be a reason why this problem happens to so many people. I fail to believe that PayPal wants to block so many IP's for no reason so what is it about this module that causes the problem to happen?

I fail to believe that PayPal wants to block so many IP's for no reason so what is it about this module that causes the problem to happen?

I've only been able to prove that they are blocking. Or rather that there is a block. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt that what they've said before (a router problem on the internet) is plausible.

The problem is that we're just merchants using their service to sell our goods. We're not internet experts. Not at all! At least we've been able to show why we can't get our customers to the payment site, which hopefully is part of the way to solving the problem. Now if we could only get some HELP FROM PAYPAL.

I've moved all my sites to a new dedicated IP address and guess what??? Yup, PayPal module still not working.

Try the script that I posted in the other thread and see if the ports are blocked still in your new IP.

I've taken a copy of my website and put it on my own server (Ubunto running under VMWare) to test. I can get the script working there, and it also connects to PayPal fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, the issue is not PrestaShop or PayPal but some hosts have IP blocks to PayPal recently. If you want me to show you discussions about this exact issue happening in other Ecommerce software, you can search google for (paypal block IP att)

You will find more information on the first page.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi same problem for me.

Module is working on local but not on remote.

From remote server logs

[Mon Aug 26 01:29:43 2013] [error] [client 109.242.229.78] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: tmp in /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/modules/paypal/api/paypal_connect.php on line 124

I'm not an expert but it might help

Edited by kapapi (see edit history)

hi same problem for me.

Module is working on local but not on remote.

From remote server logs

[Mon Aug 26 01:29:43 2013] [error] [client 109.242.229.78] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: tmp in /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/modules/paypal/api/paypal_connect.php on line 124

I'm not an expert but it might help

also this

[Mon Aug 26 01:29:25 2013] [error] [client 109.242.229.78] PHP Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/config/xml/default_country_modules_list.xml): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/controllers/admin/AdminHomeController.php on line 673

Edited by kapapi (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

SOLUCIÓN:

El error aparece sólo cuando estas en "Modo de prueba" si se selecciona Modo real todo va bien.

Un saludo.

---------------------------

SOLUTION:

The error occurs only when you are in "test mode" if all goes well Real mode is selected.

A greeting.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Try the script that I posted in the other thread and see if the ports are blocked still in your new IP.

I've taken a copy of my website and put it on my own server (Ubunto running under VMWare) to test. I can get the script working there, and it also connects to PayPal fine.

What script are you talking about ?

SOLUCIÓN:

El error aparece sólo cuando estas en "Modo de prueba" si se selecciona Modo real todo va bien.

Un saludo.

SOLUTION:

The error occurs only when you are in "test mode" if all goes well Real mode is selected.

A greeting.

I've got two websites on the same IP. The first works fine with debug and real mode. The second is buggy with debug (I don't have the real account yet...).

So I don't think it is the source of the problem. Even if it was, that would say the debug mode is buggy...

EDIT : I tested with a real business account with real mode enabled. I get this error :

Error occurred:

Veuillez contacter le marchant:

<b>PayPal response:</b>
    TIMESTAMP -> 2014-10-29T15:23:26Z
    L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10002
    L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Authentication/Authorization Failed
    L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> Username/Password is incorrect
    L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

I used the informations provided by paypal removing blank spaces below and above...

Edited by makinero (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I am new at prestashop.

When I make the payment with PayPal on my website with prestashop, after Checkout Payment, the page goes error, and if I refresh I get this error:

PLEASE TRY TO CONTACT THE MERCHANT:

1. <b>PayPal response:</b>
  2. ->

Please Help me.

Regards,

Arnab

Hi all,

I am new at prestashop.

When I make the payment with PayPal on my website with prestashop, after Checkout Payment, the page goes error, and if I refresh I get this error:

PLEASE TRY TO CONTACT THE MERCHANT:

1. <b>PayPal response:</b>
  2. ->

Please Help me.

Regards,

Arnab

Today, 12th of January, is the day that PayPal switches off connections using SSL 3.0.   So the question must be have you already updated your PrestaShop to avoid using SSL 3.0?   If not, see other guides on how to perform that update.

From what I can tell, the update is to install the latest version of the PayPal module, and if you have an older version of PrestaShop, also install the backwards compatibility module.

Today, 12th of January, is the day that PayPal switches off connections using SSL 3.0.   So the question must be have you already updated your PrestaShop to avoid using SSL 3.0?   If not, see other guides on how to perform that update.

From what I can tell, the update is to install the latest version of the PayPal module, and if you have an older version of PrestaShop, also install the backwards compatibility module.

so what is the solution?

I am so confused with all this.

Have read and read and read and read and read and....there isn't a clear 'simple' solution for us "not too savy" people.

Can there be a final write up on the forum on how to fix the "Paypal response" problem ????

I cannot test on Sandbox either and I have tested live but can't be certain that it all works.

I'm on 1.5 Prestashop and was on Paypal 3.6.5.  I don't see a 3.8 version other than the Europe one. So can I use that in Canada and will it work on US and International purchases?  Which should I use???

I did install Paypal 1.3.8 but not certain if it works....it was kinda a hit and miss on my real life testing. 

What happened:  I receive payment but the sale does not show in the BO and the Cart still shows the item purchased. 

Someone purchased my digital downloads after I installed 1.3.8 PP and they did not receive the instant download email.  The BO doesn't not show they bought anything other than I received a PP payment receipt.  Now my BO doesn't show the purchase and the customer didn't get the goods :(

Can someone shed some clear light on how to fix this?  Please? thx in advance....

Edited by kzaban (see edit history)

so what is the solution?

Install the latest PayPal module, 3.8.1, and if it's an earlier version of Prestashop it will warn you that it also needs the backward compatibility module too.

The error of not having an error message was well covered in this thread:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/192145-paypal-error-with-no-error-code/

Although with the SSL 3.0 being switched off I don't know if it will create the same error as it won't be able to connect, just as it did when we discovered some mis-routing and blocking on the internet.   Therefore, best to ensure that your shop is up to date with PayPal's module.

Edited by symanski (see edit history)

I am so confused with all this.

Have read and read and read and read and read and....there isn't a clear 'simple' solution for us "not too savy" people.

What happened:  I receive payment but the sale does not show in the BO and the Cart still shows the item purchased. 

Someone purchased my digital downloads after I installed 1.3.8 PP and they did not receive the instant download email.  The BO doesn't not show they bought anything other than I received a PP payment receipt.  Now my BO doesn't show the purchase and the customer didn't get the goods :(

It sounds like a different problem from the one which has been discussed in this thread.    I'm sorry that I can't help you further, but perhaps if you started your own topic with the problems you've got then you'd get a better response?

Thanks Symanski,

I was thinking of doing that but some forums yell at people for opening up another topic of the same topic...if you know what I mean.

I have the same issue as the original poster.  Same exact message when one tries to make a purchase.

This is disheartening....although it is my first issue with Paypal since opening up an online shop.  So much work and hassle especially if you need it to work without issue because when anything goes wrong outside of the box....it is time consuming to try to get to the bottom of it when some of us are clueless on the nitty gritty stuff.

• Like 1

Please update to paypal 3.8.1 I had the same problem last few days, and now it is solved!

In theory with PayPal switching off the support for the previous communication method it should give the same error.   So updating away from SSL 3.0 should solve this, and at the moment that's done by upgrading to PayPal module 3.8.1.

Pepperr, glad you got yours up and running!

• 2 months later...

Please help. I got the same issue suddenly this evening.

Customers fill in their card and names, and press "Purchase".

Then they're redirected to the store, with an error occured message.

I run Paypal v. 3.8.2 on prestashop 1.6.9.0.

I have lost more than $800 in sales just today because of this #%#%#¤ error.. WHAT can I do to sort it out?

Important modules such as Paypal and other payment modules should just work without BAD errors like this!

Important modules such as Paypal and other payment modules should just work without BAD errors like this!

Normally they do!   But nor should certain people be trying to hack sights or diddle PayPal out of payments.   You may find that your problem is related to either PayPal, your internet host, or a router on the internet trying to protect users from fraud.   And ultimately protect you too.

That said, search through my posts for a testing script to check communication your site and PayPal.   That would be a good starting point and if most of the ports are clear (with only three of the last four not) then comms are probably ok.   After that, it's really just trying to figure out why - is there no error message when you try to make payment?

I do have to state I'm not a developer but rather an end user of Prestashop who's had to dig a little bit to find out why my particular problem didn't work.   I'd suggest posting a new thread on your problem with the error you and your client see and hoping that someone can help you who's had similar.

I guess you are talking about this script?

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/192145-paypal-error-with-no-error-code/?do=findComment&comment=958106

I don't actually know how to input the paypal-ip's into the script to check their different servers.

I have asked our host if they can check, and they told me that Paypal sometimes block their IP's for no known reasons.

I contacted Paypal, and they would have a technician to check our account at Paypal, and then come back to me if they found what went wrong.

Today, I've seen that a customer who had problems yesterday, actually got to purchase today - so it looks like Paypal are changing the IP that we contact from time to time. And right now, the IP we contact seems to work.

--------------------

When I check this site:

https://ppmts.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/92 at Paypal, it says:

PayPal recommends that you use Domain Name Service (DNS) results to determine the IP addresses of our servers. PayPal changes its records often and does not provide advance notification of changes.

What does Paypal Module v. 3.8.2. do? Using the DNS results, or trying to use specific IP-addresses to contact paypal?

I'll paste the script below.   Save it as a text file, then change the extension from .txt to .php and put it on your server.   Then go directly to that script location on your browser.    Like http://www.yourdomain.com/script.php

You can see where the IP addresses are so if you need to change to different ones it's easy to change.

<?php
// Script by Akensai

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//54 ******************************************************************
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.66 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.66", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
  echo "<font color='red'><strong> Offline!</strong></font>";
}
else
{
  echo "<font color='green'><strong> Online!</strong></font>";

fclose($socket);
}
//55 ******************************************************************
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.66 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.66", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//56 ******************************************************************
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.98 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.98", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
//57 ******************************************************************
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.98 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.98", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//************************************************************************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api-aa.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.67 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.67", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.67 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.67", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.99 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.99", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.99 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.99", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api-aa.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.69 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.69", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.69 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.69", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.101 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.101", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.101 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.101", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api-aa-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.68 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.68", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.68 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.68", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.100 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.100", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.100 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.100", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api-aa-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of notify.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.81.1 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.81.1", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.81.33 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.81.33", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of notify.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of clientalerts.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 66.211.160.14 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("166.211.160.14", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 66.135.211.28 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("66.135.211.28", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of clientalerts.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

?>  

To give an idea of a normal output this is what I get from the script today.   Notice three of the last four are off-line but the rest are on-line.   It's always been like this when working, but when it wasn't most of them, if not all, were off-line.

Start of api.paypal.com test range 

173.0.84.66  Online!

173.0.88.66  Online!

173.0.84.98  Online!

173.0.88.98  Online!

End of api.paypal.com test range 

Start of api-aa.paypal.com test range 

173.0.84.67  Online!

173.0.88.67  Online!

173.0.84.99  Online!

173.0.88.99  Online!

End of api-aa.paypal.com test range 

Start of api-3t.paypal.com test range 

173.0.84.69  Online!

173.0.88.69  Online!

173.0.84.101  Online!

173.0.88.101  Online!

End of api-3t.paypal.com test range 

Start of api-aa-3t.paypal.com test range 

173.0.84.68  Online!

173.0.88.68  Online!

173.0.84.100  Online!

173.0.88.100  Online!

End of api-aa-3t.paypal.com test range 

Start of notify.paypal.com test range 

173.0.81.1  Offline!

173.0.81.33  Offline!

End of notify.paypal.com test range 

Start of clientalerts.paypal.com test range 

66.211.160.14  Offline!

66.135.211.28  Online!

End of clientalerts.paypal.com test range

Thank you - it works perfect :)

But the way to use it - is to check this file as soon as I have customers who can't purchase through paypal.

IF all the / most of the ip's is offline, that is of course the problem.

If they are all online, there is something wrong from my host?

Correct?

What I did was to use this script when I couldn't make a test payment myself.   That I was getting the same errors as the client.   That was I was able to confirm that it was a blockage somewhere between me and PayPal.   I was also able to test the script on my own PC, having set it up as a web host to host a copy of my website.   So I was able to prove that it wasn't my site, and it wasn't PayPal (who say they don't block anybody) but the  communications between my web host and PayPal.

I think what's happened is that since it's a shared hosting service one of the other sites has been sending out junk mail etc, either deliberately or because it has been hacked, and the routers on the internet were reacting to block this junk.   Unfortunately taking out our communications we need for payment!   Or even that the router itself had got confused as to where to send the packets.   Either way, end result was the same.

Using trace route and that I was lucky to have one ISP also getting blocked (the other was fine) that I was able to determine where it got blocked and I emailed the company involved.   I didn't get a reply, but then the site started working!

The journey to that point was long, and given I'm not an expert in this area, difficult.   I got help from PayPal and my web host right up to their front doors, but they wouldn't step beyond that and it was up to me to then figure out where to go.

• Like 1

I had unresolved paypal issue that just would not work despite trying numerous things for days. It was a prestashop 1.6.0.9 site. I finally decided to do 1-click upgrade to 1.6.0.14 with paypal module 3.8.2. Now, paypal works like a charm!

If you like, download the paypal module here:

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/payments-gateways-prestashop-modules/1748-paypal.html

I don't know why its called paypal europe and I am certainly not in europe but all i care is, its working :)

Hope this helps someone out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have web-shop based on PrestaShop™ - http://www.kuzmin.se/prshop/. The shop and PayPal payments works since 2009 without any problems. Now it is PrestaShop™ 1.4.6.2

For about two days ago my customers begin to get message:

"Error occurred:

Please try to contact the merchant:

01. PayPal response:

02. ->"

And I begin to get E-mail messages:

"Hi,

Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module

A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:

PayPal response:

->"

I tried to solve the problem and installed the last PayPal module v3.4.5 and Backward compatibility v0.4. Did reset the PayPal module and provided PayPal API credentials. But, anyway, the same error occurs. My customers cannot pay by PayPal and I loose money and probably customers.

Please, help me.

Please download and update your module... 

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/payments-gateways-prestashop-modules/1748-paypal.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

SOLUCIÓN:

Un saludo.

SOLUTION:

A greeting.

Thank you, problem was solved in my shop.

This help me - I run PayPal with "sharp" datas (not in tested mode) and working like a charm:)

verPS: 1.6.0.4 :/ , PayPal 3.11.1.

• 6 years later...
On 4/9/2023 at 2:55 PM, miamaelia said:

I also facing the same issue. 

check that your php version has not been upgraded by your hosting company, 1.4 is compatible with PHP 5.4, 5.5, 5.6

if they upgraded your php, ask them  to downgrade, they may not do that, if so you will need to find new hosting that will allow back leveled php