Emails goes to Junk/Spam folder

Hello everyone,

My clients reported to me that emails are all gather in Spam or Junk folder, they doubt that it is a spam website. Why is this so? I tested five websites, but all the same. I want my mails to be in the Inbox! Anyone know what happened?

I m in 1.5.2 ps version. thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having this problem also. I'm getting lots of customer queries about the lack of order confirmations etc. It seems the problem is with hotmail.com (not co.uk etc) specifically.

Is there anything we can do to stop hotmail interpreting PrestaShop emails as spam?

you may want to consider, using the back office-->translation->order confirmation

add verbage to have your customer add your email to their contacts folder to avoid it being placed in spam folder...

i.e. You have been sent an order confirmation, if you do not see in your inbox, please check your spam folder and make sure to add us to your safe senders list.....blah blah blah...

it's fairly common practice for small websites...

• Like 1

you may want to consider, using the back office-->translation->order confirmation

add verbage to have your customer add your email to their contacts folder to avoid it being placed in spam folder...

i.e. You have been sent an order confirmation, if you do not see in your inbox, please check your spam folder and make sure to add us to your safe senders list.....blah blah blah...

it's fairly common practice for small websites...

Good suggestion, thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have prestashop 1.4.9 and I am having the same issue with gmail, MOST of my trasactional emails are going to spam folders...

I am using a third party to send transactional emails www.authsmtp.com and we have checked all text as posible to see if they are clean to gmail...

Regarding the suggestion above, how will they read the notification to mark as as safe email if they never receive any email from us :(

• 2 months later...

I assume you did not setup your SMTP server in the advanced email configuration and/or are using a webhost for your site and Google apps or other for your email. Either situation can trigger some junk mail filters into believing the email header from the PS email is spoofed. Setup your SMTP in PS and have PS send the email via your SMTP server and I bet you this problem will go away. The PS email will now carry the email header info that is normally provided by your email host and therefore will look as "trusted" email to the receiving server.

Richard

• Like 1

I also had this problem with hotmail specifically. I've done a number of things and the problem seems to have been solved.

As has already been suggested, definitely set up your SMTP server rather than using PHP mail() function or any third party email service.

Add SPF and DKIM records - if your using cpanel, this is under Email > Email Authentication.

Stop PrestaShop sending your shop logo as an attachment - see post #5 of this thread. This will still show the logo where {shop_logo} is used in your email templates, but will not send the attachment. The only problem with this is that if the email client has images turned off by default (many do), your logo will not show unless they are turned on. But I recon it's better to see this than no email at all!

• Like 2

Try changing the email setting to send by HTML only. By default Prestashop sends both txt and HTML. If that does not work, it is possible that your hosting company is on various spam black lists being used by many of these spam filters. In that case your options are only to change hosting company or setup your email handling via Google Apps. Typically mail sent via their secured servers is not going to seen as spam, because if a spam filter had google blacklisted, that would create a lot of problems due to the popularity of that service.

we could beat this horse all day.

when you send from a domain name using sender not related to that domain name...the chance of being considered spam by even your own hosting company rises...and personally I find emails from someurl.com coming from anyother URL, suspect and frankly will avoid those sort of sites...that's me though, while male Caucasian 55...your market may differ

You are much better served using your domain names URL for emailing, then you can set up different yahoo/gmail (don't know about 'notsohot@hotmail' using your pop3 mailserver.

IMHO: to do otherwise is folly

happy prestashopping

• Like 1

Your are only dealing with the visible part of the email, not the underlying header code. I am sure the people here that are having problems (I did too on one install when I forgot to change to the SMTP method) are using the domain name of their store. Doing that by itself will normally not solve this problem.

That is why the best way to avoid this problem is to use the SMTP server that handles the email. So if you are on Google Apps for email (or similar service), then you need to use that SMTP server. If your email is handled by your "normal" store hosting company, then you should use that email server. In either case, the email host's SMTP server requires authentication and in essence "validates" (I am using that word loosely here to keep it not to technical) that the email was sent from the same domain as the email address. (Again very loose "simple" interpretation of the technical side)

Of course there are some exceptions to this if the SMTP server being used is blacklisted as a "spam" server. In that case will end up in Spam. My suggestion of using Google Apps was mainly offered if that specific scenario exists. It is highly unlikely that any reputable spam filtering software will filter any "authenticated" messages that were sent by the Google mail server as that would have probably a tremendous negative impact on all of their customers. Of course, it is very important that email handling is technically setup correctly with MX records in the DNS record to point to Google. Many hosts today offer that type of integration even out of the box for the less technically inclined, but virtually any host should be able to make those revisions in their DNS either through customer support or through customer's own ability to change the DNS record (only recommended if you know what you are doing).

I believe using SMTP in PS with a properly setup email on a non-blacklisted hosting company or with a "trusted" service like Google will solve about 99.9% of this problem. The remaining .1% will likely be a result of a some overly aggressive email spam server and there would be nothing a shop owner could do.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Stop PrestaShop sending your shop logo as an attachment - see post #5 of this thread. This will still show the logo where {shop_logo} is used in your email templates, but will not send the attachment. The only problem with this is that if the email client has images turned off by default (many do), your logo will not show unless they are turned on. But I recon it's better to see this than no email at all!

Hi pel024,

I have done with other first two steps what you suggested above but i am confused on the step i qouted in reply "Stop PrestaShop sending your shop logo as attachment". I did not see any command or work to do with attachments in post# 5 of this thread.

But i have searched for "Stop PrestaShop sending your shop logo as an attachment" and i have found another reply of an expert who is saying to do this 

Hi, In PS 1.5.4.1 to not attach shop logo image in emails You need to edit file classes/Mail.php

and change line 251

$template_vars['{shop_logo}'] = $message->attach(new Swift_Message_EmbeddedFile(new Swift_File($logo), null, ImageManager::getMimeTypeByExtension($logo)));to

/*$template_vars['{shop_logo}'] = $message->attach(new Swift_Message_EmbeddedFile(new Swift_File($logo), null, ImageManager::getMimeTypeByExtension($logo))); */

This is usefull when You remove shop logo image in email templates by remove all {shop_logo} strings, and You want prevent showing logo in email attachment. 

So let me know if it is the right thing to do.
(Sorry for poor english).

Hope to hear more from you soon. Thanks.