How Do I Add More Category Blocks?

Hi everyone,

I want to add more than one category block to my shop.

Here is an example of what I mean: http://www.herbana.eu/

Notice there are FIVE category blocks labelled "NATURAL CARE", "OILS AND BUTTERS", "AROMATHERAPY AND SPA", "DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS" and "HERBS AND TEAS".

How do I do the same?

I have tried using other advice but I am a novice with this sort of thing, so I am struggling a lot.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best,

Adam

that's one dated site, default theme...probably 1.3/1.4...makes me fell better because usually everyone's site looks better than mine..jajaja

what they have done is duplicated the blockscategory module....search (using google) on how to duplicate a module...specifically that one..I suggest getting your site together before messing with duplicating modules and I guess you are running 1.5 default theme...so the category can look, ok, using as is, i.e. create OILS AND BUTTERS as top category and stuff sub categories underneath that...

tip..on what module does what....right click the page, view source....find the text you are interested in....

in this example, OILS AND BUTTERS

This will tell you what module it is in (more or less)..

02.04.2013-19.00.22.png

http://screencast.com/t/TPm3XmWrGt1

good luck

Hi there,

Thank you for the response.

My site is in its infancy so-to-speak, so I think duplicating module blocks sooner rather than later is better for me.

The example I provided is old, I know, but it's the only one I could find quickly, sorry.

I have duplicated the blockcategories module to become blockcategories2, but I don't see any change.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Best,

Ad

well..what you are doing wrong...is you are not trying hard enough...you can't just start messing with modules and post five minutes later you don't know what you are doing wrong....when you didn't know what you were doing in the first place...yes?

that is why I told you to build your shop, don't sweat the little stuff

now drop and give us 50 for little effort..jajajaja...white wine tonight folks..and stuck in the f'ing andes waiting for the my fav hang outs to warm up...

ok

for starters you will need to change the 2nd and nth module..

class BlockCategories2 extends Module

and

$this->name = 'blockcategories2';

before you post that didnt' work...

take a look at this...

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/Creating+a+PrestaShop+module

I've tried learning quite a lot, actually, but I'm not a natural developer hence my problems so I apologise for giving the impression I have not done any work.

I've already done what you said to do - but I don't see any changes.

I've changed everything to blockcategories2 ... I don't know what I need to do actually see the changes.

good to hear you have learned a lot.. in such a short amount of time..coding modules...you could be a natural....but stating it didn't' work...with no detail like I can't see it in my modules from the back office, how you loaded it zip, ftp...etc did you read the developers guide already?

instead how about some detail of how it is not working...that is the effort...to move forward...or are you just looking for someone to do this for you?

can you see it in your modules list?

can you see it in the translations-->installed modules?

Hi again,

I meant I have learnt a lot about PrestaShop.

But no, I am not expecting anyone to do this for me, which is why I have asked the question.

If there were some simple to follow instructions on how to do it then that would be great!

The instructions I have found on the forum are by non-native English speakers, so there is a little lost in translation (I acknowledge my own lack of knowing other languages).

If I had the technical know-how, I would write the instructions myself for everyone as I am quite good at that sort of thing.

Anyway, I'm taking a break now, so I will be back tomorrow.

Best,

Ad

• 2 weeks later...