Guest has to sign in to see payment methods?

robbie007

If using the one step process, once the customer selects checkout as guest, they fill in their address, agree to terms and then payment options will show up. You can test this by filling out a test order as a guest and you will see how this works.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Yes you are correct, that is what I was trying to say, until the information is entered into the form, payment methods will not display.

The default message you are getting is misleading to the customer but basically it is saying "you have not told me where to ship your product so I can not give you a payment option"

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys! Payment methods show up after filling in the address. Backend translations are a bit misleading, so change them a bit. So that's solved!

I prefer showing a block with all the payment methods anyway, so customers directly can see wich payment methods (and free shipping logo and other trustmarks) we have. Putting them in an image and place them somewhere hard in the code?? I miss information about customer service too. We be customer friendly to provide.....

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, this is every here and then an issue we have with customers checking out as guests: some just do not understand that they not only have to fill in their address but also SAVE the data to show the payment options. Some are then contacting us but we fear that we have quite a few carts which are not processed because customers give in.

So, is there any option to permanently show the payment options. Or at least have something like an auto-submit once the country is selected from the drop down list?

• Like 1

Have you tried changing what that message says where the payments show?

Mine says "Please save your information above or sign in to see payment methods" which clearly explains that they have to save their info above or sign in to see the payment methods.

Seems to work nicely for us.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Do the following,

GOTO > PREFERENCES > ORDERS > Order process type > One Page Checkout

Enable Guest Account > ON

and then

GOTO > PREFERENCES > CUSTOMERS > Registration process type > Only Account Creation.

Once everything is done click save and load the site again and Fill out everything and then only the SELECT PAYMENT OPTION WILL APPEAR. (Paypal, Check, Cash on delivery etc)

Remember, when nothing is filled on the form then there will no payment methods shown.

Edited by Shazmin (see edit history)

I have a suggestion!

Instead of showing the payments methods just AFTER user saving the address, prestashop should show some "unable" payment logo, and turn it on only after saving address.

Before saving the address the client should see the payment logos in black & white or something like that...... what do you think?

PS: my suggestion doesn't discard the translating idea.

• 2 months later...

I sweet quick fix would be if the payment module automatically display the payment options based on shop default country, then if customer is from other country it will re-calculate as it does today.

Honestrly most shops sell 80-100% to same country and a smooth checkout is a vital for conversion rate optimization. Would anyone be able to help with a quick fix, it is likely a oneliner that auto select based on default country and the the rest is untuched.

I am on PS 1.4.8 one page check-out and guest-checkout.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Why on earth are payment options tied to shipping addresses? Having this issue on checkout is terrible for business. I shop online extensively and have never had the payment options withheld until I put in address information. What if I'm in Ireland but want to order a gift from such a shop to a friend in the US? The billing address is Ireland but the shipping is in the US. Someone could set the payment options different for each country?  This setup doesn't make sense. 

Our site hasn't launched yet and I used usertesting.com to get some feedback and every tester said they would abandon the cart because of that payment issue at the bottom of the one page check out. People want to use guest checkouts and they want to see the payment options even if they don't put in their address. They also don't want to have to hit a save button when they do put in an address. 

The multi step checkout page isn't any better. You can choose your shipping option on the first step but then there is another step called "shipping".  If it's the shipping address, it should say shipping address. 

These checkout pages are poorly designed. I'm using the latest 1.6 too. Simply poorly designed. The rest of the cart is awesome.

Edited by ThreeWest (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I agree... The checkout process is horribly designed and so is the confirmation page.

This is what I use on my 1.5 shop and the checkout process is much smoother now. Unfortunately, I had to pay for features that should be standard.

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/checkout-modules/6841-one-page-checkout-for-prestashop.html

Thanks. I'll check it out.  I just hope this is not the norm with PS. It reminds me of the activities with the Interspire Shopping Cart (now named BigCommerce). It's like this was done on purpose to create business for add-ons just because this particular thing is simply too against the norm to overlook the possibility. 

• Like 1

Dear El Patron,

We are running PS 1.4.8 and only discount and VAT can be set for groups. How do you "authorize" payment modules?

To better understand if it is worth assessing further, please explain what you will achieve with your actions?

Most of us seem to want the same thing = A default set off payment options showing directly when loading checkout page (preferably based on default country), so that "uncertainty" is removed and customers immediately get a confirmation that there is a payment option to their liking. (We base our statement on how it should work for built in one-page checkout and is likely not relevant for multy step checkout.)

The payment options will then be refined when customer register their address details.

Plain and simple, in programming terms, payment option for default country should be shown already upon loading the one-page checkout instead of as now show nothing.

Edited by MacMaster (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

Why on earth are payment options tied to shipping addresses? Having this issue on checkout is terrible for business. I shop online extensively and have never had the payment options withheld until I put in address information. What if I'm in Ireland but want to order a gift from such a shop to a friend in the US? The billing address is Ireland but the shipping is in the US. Someone could set the payment options different for each country?  This setup doesn't make sense. 

Our site hasn't launched yet and I used usertesting.com to get some feedback and every tester said they would abandon the cart because of that payment issue at the bottom of the one page check out. People want to use guest checkouts and they want to see the payment options even if they don't put in their address. They also don't want to have to hit a save button when they do put in an address. 

The multi step checkout page isn't any better. You can choose your shipping option on the first step but then there is another step called "shipping".  If it's the shipping address, it should say shipping address. 

These checkout pages are poorly designed. I'm using the latest 1.6 too. Simply poorly designed. The rest of the cart is awesome.

Totally agree, payment methods are available for 99.99% of the customers, why hide it from them? I'd rather have a fraction of my customers refused at checkout than 99.99% of my customers frustrated and confused.

Have you tried changing what that message says where the payments show?

Mine says "Please save your information above or sign in to see payment methods" which clearly explains that they have to save their info above or sign in to see the payment methods.

Seems to work nicely for us.

This is the bare minimum, at least have a coherent message. As I don't want to pay 159$ for a custom module right now I changed my message on my store to:

"We accept Visa, Mastercard and Paypal. Please fill in your shipping details on step 1 above to proceed."

Yes, considering that smooth check-out is key for conversion, it is truly amazing that PS or someone else have not come up with a quick fix.

Most shops do 90-100% of their business in one country so how difficult can it be to show the preset payment option based on default country, and then let it change if customer happen to be from other country.

I unfortunately do not have the programming skill to sort this, however I would assume that it only requires to change "hide" to "show" somewhere in the java.

Edited by MacMaster (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Totally agree with this too! We only deliver within one country anyway, so this is totally superfluous.  :(

Edited by themadcatlady (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/12/2014 at 5:22 AM, sydsyd dice:

This is the bare minimum, at least have a coherent message. As I don't want to pay 159$ for a custom module right now I changed my message on my store to:

"We accept Visa, Mastercard and Paypal. Please fill in your shipping details on step 1 above to proceed."

Hi,

could you tell me please in which folder/file have you made this change?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Barbara

PrestaShop and as far as I seen 'all' third party checkout modules to not localize selected country at checkout.  So most often  'default country' values are used which is always a bad thing.

Because i'm in the geo localization business we have modified many shops OPC's to localize on visitor cookie country to display not only correct payment info's but also shipping.  For us it's another day at the office so I do want to share, though this is like going to be read by few.

To support what you all want to accomplish geo location feature that sets cookie country on entry.   Note: I do not recommend using native PS Geolocation

Then you need to update your checkout process to set 'selected country' to that of the visitor cookie country.  

so new flow is non-logged visitor enters, IP the cookie country then! PS will process all 'by country' catalog rules you have (priceless) and when you update checkout to localize also on cookie country, things work perfectly.  Why PS does not localize on visitor cookie country I'm not sure about but it has lots of great by country catalog features, price by country,  currency by country....tax inc/excl...and so on.

I cannot here provide simple coding fix for checkout as there are pre-steps (IP detect) which must be done first and also there are many different PS versions of prestashop and a lot of OPC modules.  

here is one of my more popular geo localization works on addon's, this gives some info on ip visitor country.

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/international-localization/27368-geo-targeting-pro-by-country-prices-taxes-currency-.html

I have lots of geo solutions and it's my fav subject, hope this helps someone.

el