Big performance issue - MySQL and table joins

We have a very big performance issue and upgrading to a better VPS-server didn't help. The site is: www.tracpartz.nl and we use Prestashop Version 1.3.2.3.

Our webhost tells us that the MySQL load is very high and they think it is because of the table joins that are executed on a table with more than two million records "ps_connections_page".

They advise us to ask for advise / help from the developer of the site,. That would be Prestashop I assume?

This is what our webhost tells us in dutch:

Uw VPS is overgezet naar een andere VPS node. De site tracpartz.nl laadt iets sneller, maar echt heel snel is het nog steeds niet. Ik heb ook een andere mysql config geladen die over het algemeen voor wat snelheidswinst zou moeten zorgen. De MySQL load blijft zeer hoog. Ik ben daarna even in uw database gedoken en ik denk dat ik de oorzaak heb gevonden. Uw website voert table joins uit op een tabel met meer dan twee miljoen records "ps_connections_page". Table joins zorgen vaak voor vertraging, en zeker als het met grote tabellen gebeurt. Ik kan hier niet bepalen of deze tabel belangrijk is en of dat kan worden opgeschoond. U kunt hiervoor het beste advies vragen bij uw developer.

At this moment the website is sometimes a few minutes unavailable to us working in the backend but also to our customers... This is not good for business and very frustrating to work with.

We appreciate any help we can get, also we would like to know who to turn to as I myself am not very familiar with the technical software where Prestashop is depending on.

Greetings Theo Kerger