Help With Shipping in v 1.4.8.3

I have been having a terrible time with shipping and carriers in v 1.4.8. I only want to ship from within the US to the 48 contiguous US states, plus AK, HI & PR. UPS has 10 zones that cover this area. I anticipate a weight range of 1-5 lbs per package, depending on the order. Do I have to create 50 carriers for UPS Ground alone? I'm not sure how many zones USPS has to cover the same area. Let's say they have 5. Does that require 25 carriers to make the system calculate the correct rates for Parcel Post? What purpose does API integration serve if you have to manually create multiple carriers to factor for various zone and weight possibilities? I am told by some that 1.5 is much easier to configure, but I cannot upgrade without destroying the custom theme I paid a designer/developer team to create. They don't want to upgrade to 1.5, saying it is unstable, but the developer seams to have no idea how to set up the Shipping Tab and the UPS & USPS modules with API integration. Would some honest, knowledgable individual(s) be willing to take the time to give a total stranger the information needed, so my site can be lanuched? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I also need help with shipping. I also cannot find a way to create a new post to ask for help with this. Sorry Tee Vee for joining.

My business only uses our own shipping service for delivery. We have very specific terms and conditions that need to be met. Willing to pay for proper and complete set-up so we can get our store running.