Update products using import csv?

outblast

How can i update the description or other columns without deleting the rest information of the products? (manufacturer, qty, price...) If i set "ignor this column" does not work, if i make a csv file only with the name, reference and description the other info will be deleted, so how we update the products?

presta version 1.5.3.1

• 2 weeks later...

I use the reference number as key

Exactly same problem.

The CSV import work OK just when you use ID as the key (so standard settings). When I chose "Use product reference as key", it delete all fields which are not set in CVS file.

Example:

I need update prices, so my test CSV file have just four columns:, ID, Name, Reference, Price.

1. When I import CSV and use the ID as key, everything is OK.

2. However I need to use as the key the Reference, but then check this option and set ignore the ID column, the import module delete description, category .... other unset attributes.

Does anybody WHY?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Same problem here, I have found the issue reported but marked as minor (see the link below). I think it's blocker because you can't update partial product information.

Does anybody solved it?

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFV-5670?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Aall-tabpanel#issue-tabs

Edited by JordiJ (see edit history)

Its very interesting how for some people and here I usually refer to developers this is minor bug.

I'm not developer but business man, I own few retails stores (offline) but I consider myself as advanced computer user also so I "developing" my first online retail all by my own. From my perspective this is a bone breaker bug! This is essential part of e-commerce and should be treated as such.

Also there is a problem with the watermark module. For example, if you regenerate all your images watermark will be lost. It wont apply to regenerated images. This is other example of huge bug.

I don't really care how colorful my website is, but I really care how functional it is and does all essential functionality work ok.

These are my thoughts

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Its very interesting how for some people and here I usually refer to developers this is minor bug.

I'm not developer but business man, I own few retails stores (offline) but I consider myself as advanced computer user also so I "developing" my first online retail all by my own. From my perspective this is a bone breaker bug! This is essential part of e-commerce and should be treated as such.

Also there is a problem with the watermark module. For example, if you regenerate all your images watermark will be lost. It wont apply to regenerated images. This is other example of huge bug.

I don't really care how colorful my website is, but I really care how functional it is and does all essential functionality work ok.

These are my thoughts

Cheers

Dolke is absolutely right, I am puzzled and try to figure out what exactly Presta's philosophy is sometime. The topic here is one of the most essential ones and they call it a minor bug!? Presta can you tell us how do you run a website without the ability to update your products? Partial updating products is a must functionality tool especially PS never provides a clear instruction. Logically, you would think that a unique product number or key that would be the solution for delete and updates BUT not with prestashop!?

I am using 1.6, I could not find anywhere that clearly explain how to upload multiple images, I am not sure anyone having problem with import multiple images, although I have found a way to import but that is not how it suppose to be. You would have imagine that any web developer will test their product properly before introduce it on the market, but no, prestashop just push it out and let you guys to figure and finds the problem for them. Amazing! PS never explain anything thoroughly. Like Dolke quotes, you can deal with cosmetic at any time but the engine has to fit and work properly.

Some instruction could be completely wrong for example on thumbnail generator:  (This just one of them for example, there are hundreds of them!)

Erase previous images

(Select "No" only if your server timed out and you need to resume the regeneration.)

This is utterly wrong, imagine if you have 1000 existing products there and you have just uploaded 100 new products and they recommend to delete all existing product and regenerated again, that will take hours if not days.

The reason I said this is because this is the only way I found that you could import new products in with multiple images "but" you must choose (Yes) on Do not regenerate thumbnails or else you could only import maximum 30/50 products it will stop with error with either 500, 404, 504 you name it is there or time out, it simply just doesn't work at all, if you are running a store with 50 product that is fine. STILL, if your product contains 5 images, you could only import about 150 a time and that is (Without) "generate thumbnails" then you have to regenerate thumbnails afterwards with all new upload images BUT you must choose NO (Erase previous images) and ignore (Select "No" only if your server timed out and you need to resume the regeneration.)

It is just so messy, that's all I can say...

• 9 months later...

Dolke is absolutely right, I am puzzled and try to figure out what exactly Presta's philosophy is sometime. The topic here is one of the most essential ones and they call it a minor bug!? Presta can you tell us how do you run a website without the ability to update your products? Partial updating products is a must functionality tool especially PS never provides a clear instruction. Logically, you would think that a unique product number or key that would be the solution for delete and updates BUT not with prestashop!?

I am using 1.6, I could not find anywhere that clearly explain how to upload multiple images, I am not sure anyone having problem with import multiple images, although I have found a way to import but that is not how it suppose to be. You would have imagine that any web developer will test their product properly before introduce it on the market, but no, prestashop just push it out and let you guys to figure and finds the problem for them. Amazing! PS never explain anything thoroughly. Like Dolke quotes, you can deal with cosmetic at any time but the engine has to fit and work properly.

Some instruction could be completely wrong for example on thumbnail generator:  (This just one of them for example, there are hundreds of them!)

Erase previous images

(Select "No" only if your server timed out and you need to resume the regeneration.)

This is utterly wrong, imagine if you have 1000 existing products there and you have just uploaded 100 new products and they recommend to delete all existing product and regenerated again, that will take hours if not days.

The reason I said this is because this is the only way I found that you could import new products in with multiple images "but" you must choose (Yes) on Do not regenerate thumbnails or else you could only import maximum 30/50 products it will stop with error with either 500, 404, 504 you name it is there or time out, it simply just doesn't work at all, if you are running a store with 50 product that is fine. STILL, if your product contains 5 images, you could only import about 150 a time and that is (Without) "generate thumbnails" then you have to regenerate thumbnails afterwards with all new upload images BUT you must choose NO (Erase previous images) and ignore (Select "No" only if your server timed out and you need to resume the regeneration.)

It is just so messy, that's all I can say...

Team,

Is there any solution for this problem?

• 1 month later...

I am also very intrested in any solution! I use product reference as key, but if I want to import te very same csv file again, it gives an error "Number: No ID" for every single product that i'd like to update (import).

You should download the csv file of your desire products from your back office then change whatever you need to change. You need not to use your product id anymore as Presta has already allocated a product id so that is the unique number for that specific item.

After filtered what you need to changed then upload again using their csv file. Hope this help! 

You should download the csv file of your desire products from your back office then change whatever you need to change. You need not to use your product id anymore as Presta has already allocated a product id so that is the unique number for that specific item.

After filtered what you need to changed then upload again using their csv file. Hope this help! 

Thank you for your reply!

But my main problem is I am exporting a list of changed products from Microsoft Navision, and every week. I only want to import into PS the changed products, but the csv is made in Navision. So I have no use in exporting the existing Prestashop product list.

Bolinga, seems like nobody cares for this subject anymore, if you buy a module it will solve your problem, but as you can see there are people asking same question since 2013....and my question to hte moderator will be is there any FREE solution for this? Thanks