[SOLVED] How to import CSV with different languages

Hi everyone,

I have a really simple question: How do I import products using CSV Import in different languages?

The problem I found is the following: when I import a file with, for example, english language, I select "English" in the dropdown menu in the "CSV Import" form and I select the corresponding CSV file. Until now, everything is ok. Then, when I want to import the, for example, spanish language, I select "Spanish" in the mentioned dropdown menu and I select the corresponding CSV file again, who is exactly the same as the english CSV, but in spanish. Then, when I do the importing, all fields are in spanish, no matter the language you check.

If it helps, I have to say the only fields I want to translate are features, because I don't use short/long description.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards!

Edited by jorgeferpas (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, I solved it creating different products for each language, because each language is used in a different store. By the way, I still don't understand what's the function of the language selection menu in the import form. If someone is able to answer that question to me, I would thank him/her so much.

EasyRetailManager, when you finish your module, please feel free to notice me via private message. Although I have resolved my problem by now, I can be interested in it in the future.

Thank you both for your answers.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to import also the categories in different languages, but it's overwrite the other ones.

If it is not possible, why Prestashop shows the option?

I think maybe the problem is the ID?

When I create a sub category (Example)

ID

Active (0/1)

Name*

Parent category

Root category (0/1)

Abstrakt

Digital

It creates aut. the main category ID Digital.

When I import the same cvs file in other language, then I can use the same ID's of the sub categories, but it will create an new ID for the parent.

There should be an easy solution, but try to find it?

Last option?: You can do it manually by hand in the MySQL Admin.

• 1 month later...

I use v 1.4.9 and have no problems importing two languages, one at a time.

When you do the second import you have to put the id in the id field.

This is not too difficult as I put the first id number in then using excel to increment the ID for the rest of the products. (If the IDs are sequential of course)

Don't know if this helps

Chris G

I use v 1.4.9 and have no problems importing two languages, one at a time.

When you do the second import you have to put the id in the id field.

This is not too difficult as I put the first id number in then using excel to increment the ID for the rest of the products. (If the IDs are sequential of course)

Don't know if this helps

Chris G

Hi Chris, yes you are correct. You can import multiple languages, as long as you do it one at a time.

• 4 weeks later...

I've opened a new topic, because I saw this thread soon.

Sorry for repeating the problem, but I think the right page for my problems expressions is here:

Importing first language of products.csv is importing successfully. After that, importing the second language is importing successfully too.

But, at the backoffice/catalog/products page, clicking any product (Product global information) the tags field's first language contents changes to second languages contents. I am selecting the first language, but the tags field again showing the tags in second language. Second lang. overwriting the First lang. tags.

Except this problem, everything is successfully importing for first and second languages.

Prestashop could not corrected this problem for a long time. All past versions that I've used, always I sawed this problem.

Do you know how to correct this?

Regards

• 3 months later...

mizuplus, you have to do as Chris 29 says above....create a new column in the csv file for the ID which prestashop created when you imported the products in the first language. Then in the csv import choose the new language and check Use product reference as key?

It works, I've just done it!

• 3 months later...

Please help. Not sure if this has been covered and I just don't understand what is said. My CSV files are books, the ones with the English titles imported fine. However am now stuck as when I import the Portuguese or French ones, there's nothing in the Name, Description, Short Text, etc. columns, only where there's numerals those show up. I have changed the language to whichever one it should be (French / Portuguese), I have even done as suggested and selected "use product reference as key". Nothing. My CSV files already have an ID column. What am I doing wrong?

Andriette,

Hi, it would probably be better opening a new thread as this is thread is [solved] so people may not find your question.

I'm assuming that a book would have an english and a Portuguese or French title, otherwise I think using the product ID would mean you will overwrite the original product.

Just to help find out what's going on I would try with small test file first.

A few things to check. 

In the upload box - Are you sure you are selecting the right file ? - i always rename mine with the date and language (e.g.'fr' or 'en') in the filename

In the import box - Make sure you select products from the drop down list and select the language.

When you click on next step

if you file has headings, like in the examples, make sure you skip 1 line.

Does the preview look ok ?

Chris G

Edited by Chris G 29 (see edit history)
  • Like 1