How to edit the .pl files

Been reading a lot of the topics here and doing searching for a few things in my research :) and see a lot of talk about Smarty templates and the .pl files.

How do I get access to these files so I can edit them if need be please - are they accessible via the BO or do you need to download files to your pc and edit them with notepad for example?

Used to do web dev years ago, but shopping carts are a new beast for me and this is for my own personal shop I want to open so any tips on this would be great -- and also can't seem to find a Guide on how to change /edit the backend stuff - is there such a beast available - link would be helpful (the help icon in the BO has been helpful but not as much info as I'd like :)

Thanks in advance !

no need to edit the files directly.

you can for the most part modify anything you see in your front office using the native prestashop translation management.

in 1.5 back office->localization->translations

in 1.4 back office->tools->translations

here you can modify front office, emails, modules and more

learn it love it

this IMHO is one of the greatest features of PS

Thank you for your reply. I went thru' the >localization->translations last night and didn't see anything there to customise the FO.

I actually got a message when I tried to load this to change the 'Bank Wire' text, that my host didn't allow more than 1000 something or others (so for non tech terminology lol)... so it wouldn't load anything :(

I'll check it out further shortly.