Should I use 1.1 or 1.2 now?

I am setting up the shop. I think it will take 2 to 3 weeks, at least. I know html and ASP, but have very limit knowledge on php. Should I use 1.1 or 1.2 at this moment? If I use 1.1, by the time when I am done, the final version of 1.2 should be out? Then I have to redo the modification again. Or should I use 1.2 to save some time ? I am new here. I don't really know how Prestashop work.... Will the 1.1 themes work for 1.2 ? Any suggestions?

When you are using unstable versions not evevything may work as advertised. So you may get features with the latest version that you won't get with an earlier one, but if you're concerned about stability you should use a stable version not a beta.

That being said, if you get the very latest version of the beta (released today 17th) it should be pretty stable as they have been very prompt about fixing glitches and bugs in the latest version. I'm running it with no problems at the moment. Plus you can always upgrade again, although it's a hassle, moreso if you have tweaked your installation at all.

- A

When you are using unstable versions not evevything may work as advertised. So you may get features with the latest version that you won't get with an earlier one, but if you're concerned about stability you should use a stable version not a beta.

That being said, if you get the very latest version of the beta (released today 17th) it should be pretty stable as they have been very prompt about fixing glitches and bugs in the latest version. I'm running it with no problems at the moment. Plus you can always upgrade again, although it's a hassle, moreso if you have tweaked your installation at all.

- A

Thank you for the reply. As I said I am new here. I really don't know how the prestashop work. Usually how many versions they will release until stable? And my main concern is if I modify the them folders in 1.1, and then will they work on the 1.2? Or they are new different "game"?

Thanks again for the reply

I don't really know the answer to that, but you should be able to upgrade from 1.1 to the next version without any problems. The only files you modify are generally the themes, so as long as you create a custom theme to take with you to the next version it should be okay. I delved a little deeper and modified several key files, and I just had to re-modify them with the newest version, so it can double your work.

My Advice, just install the very latest version, it seems pretty stable and it will be much easier to upgrade from 1.2 (beta 2) to full 1.2 than it will be to cross from 1.1 to 1.2

Good Luck

Thank you for the reply. I will use the 1.2 then.

Another question. I see there is a module section in the download page. But there is nothing in it. Do I have to pay for the modules and only the script is free? How do I know what modules are available out there? Where is the list? Usually how much does it cost for a module? I searched the forum for the module list and it comes up some lists that I have to go out of this forum to download them. Are they safe to use? I am confused. Sorry.

No problem, I'm just another user, so I don't have all the answers. But the Program itself (prestashop) comes with dozens of modules pre-loaded which for me was almost everything I needed. So the add-on modules are really just for specialty purposes. Some are free and some cost money, but I haven't had to spend anything to get the modules I wanted.

I think Prestashop is trying to organize their add-ons by creating a module section but I don't think it's populated with anything yet because it's a brand new thing they're trying to implement. The only way to currently get (more) modules is to find them on the forum or google it. But as I said, it comes with a ton that should fit most needs.

-A

• 4 weeks later...

I am setting up 2 web sites for my clients, and one for myself. I am using 1.2. They are great. My clients very love the features on the shop. Just want to say thank you for helping me to make the decision.