How to migrate from VirtueMart to Prestashop

Hi All,

I wonder if there are any tutorials or docs of how to migrate a shop from VitueMart 1.1.9 to Prestashop 1.5. If not, what would you recommend to do? Manually export all data from VirtueMart and import it into Prestashop or use a service such as Cart2Cart (http://www.shopping-...-migration.com/)?

Thanks for any help.

Karl

Edited by karlhp (see edit history)

I would recommend Cart2Cart, of course if you want to avoid manual routine migration.

It can migrate your orders, customers, products and all the corresponding info from your old store to PrestaShop. It’s automated, pretty fast and not too expensive. You can try it first with the free demo migration of a limited number of items from your store.

+ this way, you will avoid any errors connected (duplicates, data losses...) I had already used it to upgrade my store, so I am totally satisfied with the work of this tool. Here you don't have to worry about anything: they have video tutorials (find on the PrestaShop migration page) and free support.

Wow, it sure sounds like you love it so much you should go work there! It's just strange that you joined today only to post a loving review for a service being mentioned. Anyways, welcome to the forum, I hope you help out a lot ;)

That being said, yes, you can use Cart2Cart for an easy migration. Alternatively, you or somebody you know/hire can do a manual migration. If you have csv files for your products/customers/orders etc, it is possible.

• Like 2

Wow, it sure sounds like you love it so much you should go work there! It's just strange that you joined today only to post a loving review for a service being mentioned.

This type of nonsense should be deleted (or at best moved to the paid section) from the forum. Both the original post and the "loving review" are nothing more than self promotion. I'm surprised it was allowed to remain.

Marty Shue

• Like 1

This type of nonsense should be deleted (or at best moved to the paid section) from the forum. Both the original post and the "loving review" are nothing more than self promotion. I'm surprised it was allowed to remain.

Marty Shue

This is uinbelievable, I am in a hurry but I'll be back in half an hour!

Karl

Both the original post and the "loving review" are nothing more than self promotion. I'm surprised it was allowed to remain.

Marty Shue

Marty and Benjamin,

This is the most narrow minded and unashamedly reply I ever got in a forum about a technical question.

It is clear that the second post was self promotion.

So what?

I think the reply of Benjamin was friendly with the right dose of irony. It would have been better if Benjamin just left it there since he couldn't tell me much more anyway.

Google about "VirtueMart migration to Prestashop" or a similar phrase and you will find a number of Posts just telling you about my question. Card2Card is nothing new so far. So what is the silly point of Marty about removing my post? It just disqualified you and I regret that Bejamin falled into the trap to take notice of it.

Yesterday I submitted the form "Migrate to Prestashop" at http://www.prestasho...-to-prestashop. The page shows a very nice illustration of how to migrate from VirtueMart and others to Prestashop. Until now I didn't get any reply, no link to some documentation or any other useful help. Maybe this takes longer at Prestashop, though until then I would recommend you to keep your breath before starting to discuss about to remove forum questions from Prestashop newbies.

And anyway, there are always alternatives. I have no problem to look at other shopping cards if I don't get my VirtueMart data into Prestashop soon.

Hi Karl, thank you for the response. To be honest, there is a long history and back story involving companies that have used this Forum as Advertising Shills. Some companies more often than not. It has frustrated some of our members because it simply is not honest support. That being said, Marty did mention in his next post that he may have been quick to jump to a conclusion about your original post.

Also, I want to make clear that the user Ramm, was indeed an advertising shill for Cart-2-Cart, and although they have a great service. We do not appreciate them creating accounts simply to boost their brand. The real members here will recommend them anyways.

There is a misunderstanding between us talking about removing your post, and the post of Ramm. Marty has been on this forum longer than most members and is has helped countless members with questions and technical issues. I think that you were on the wrong side of translation and that is why you have the tone that you have now.

You were a victim of an Advertising Shill masked as a new user, make no mistake about that. That is why Marty and other members are frustrated and may have jumped to conclusions thinking that the OP (Original Poster) was also an advertising shill.

I understand your concerns and I hope I clarified the situation a little more. I thank you for considering PrestaShop, do not hesitate to PM me or ask any more questions. Thank you!

Regards,

Benjamin

Benjamin,

-

Thanks for clarification. Well, I am actually an e-commerce and Prestashop newbie and know Cart-2-Cart not more than a day.

Only one question, is there some dedicated documentation for migrating from other shopping cards to Prestashop or about CVS import?

I hoped that I get some link to information about that after submitting the "Migrate to Prestashop" form.

Thanks,

Karl

Hey Karl, I'm glad we both have an understanding. No fault to Mr. Shue for being suspicious, he had a reason and a good intention.

That being said, you should be getting a personal call or E-mail from us regarding the migration.

The best way to migrate from one shopping cart to another is to let somebody do it who knows what they are doing. These are some freelancers, developers and agencies who have experience in migration.

Alternatively, there are some software services that can provide the service for you like cart to cart and this one here as well. http://stsoft.eu/ser...gration-service

I am not sure about the validity or quality of their work. I know some people who have been happy with Cart2Cart's services (which makes it counter-intuitive that they would outsource work to spam forums to boost their brand)

I will make sure that you get a call back on the number you provided for us. You can ask our representative any further questions. Thank you for choosing PrestaShop!

I will make sure that you get a call back on the number you provided for us.

Thanks Bejamin. There is no need to call me, I was just interested in docs which describe the process. So I'll try to figure it out by myself or will test one of the services you mentioned.

My sincere apologies to Karl and Benjamin.

I will leave the moderating to the moderators and just stick to helping people by answering their PS questions ;)

Marty Shue

Thanks Marty, I also apologize for my tone.

Karl

• 4 months later...

I will probably have to do a migration from VirtueMart to Prestashop. Google brought me to this thread.

After the preceding discussion about intentions, I try to return to the technical question.

I saw so far a good step-by-step how-to here: http://www.webnethosting.net/kb/importing-data-into-prestashop/

Be sure, I am in no way related to that hosting company. (It is not a service provider for migration.)

But I liked in fact the technology knowledge level in their text. But before applying this for me own task, I will check if there are no better choices. So please do not consider this as a best choice after careful selection.

I would not use a spreadsheet software ("interactive" = human work), like recommended there and surely the normal way.

I would prefer a PERL array as data structure, to be able to play with the data fields by a small PERL program for repeated future use.

The 4 current Virtue Mart Shops have articles with a lot of variations for "products on demand". I doubt how to import such a complexity between differing softwares. So it may happen that importing requires some manual refinement of the received data.

Hopeful that I added some useful help to this thread, to encourage users to migrate to Prestashop which I like already after some days of test and use.