FREE Module: Recommended Products in Cart

gdinari

Recently, I have been searching for a recommended products module to add to my shopping cart to use as a tool to up-sell some of my products.

After searching high and low, the solutions/modules I found were either outdated or paid, so I decided to come up with an alternate solution to show desired products in the shopping cart using the Featured Products module (homefeatured) as a base.

This module will allow you list the products you want in a designated category that will show in the shopping cart.

Because this is just a make-shift module solution there is one obvious limit:

- You have to manually input the category id in the recommendedprods.php file of the module in order to list from the category you want.

This my first module (and true contribution :D) so I need some help adding a category select function to the module that way you wont have to manually input it and just pick it from some sort of list.

In any event, the 1 line of code that needs to be changed is definitely worth it.

Steps:

1. Download the attached file

2. Add the "recommendedprods" folder to your modules directory.

3. Go in the the modules section of the admin

4. Install "Recommended Products"

5. Set the desired product list number in module settings (default is 8)

6. Find the id of the category from which you want to list your recommended products. (In my case I created a new category only for recommended products. Something like "Up-sell" or "Recommended Products")

*7. Take that id category and change the existing id number in line 112 of the recommendedprods.php

Thats it!

After that you can list as many products as you want, change the order listing (from within product listing). Now you can up-sell more products.

Tested in:

v.1.5.2

Improvements needed (help welcomed :)):

- To have a category select option with the module settings to avoid the manual input of the category id in the .php file.

I hope this module is useful for someone.

Please give feedback!

post-82771-0-06259200-1354771411_thumb.png

recommendedprods.zip

Edited by gdinari (see edit history)
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

How can we edit the file for displaying only products that are not in the cart ?

I'll explain better, imagine there is 20 products recommended, when the script display only 8 may be the 8 are already in the cart so it not so interesting, but if the script display always what the costumer don't have in the cart it will be amazing !

advanced thank's if someone can help me to make this change :)

• 1 month later...

How can we edit the file for displaying only products that are not in the cart ?

I'll explain better, imagine there is 20 products recommended, when the script display only 8 may be the 8 are already in the cart so it not so interesting, but if the script display always what the costumer don't have in the cart it will be amazing !

advanced thank's if someone can help me to make this change :)

I like this idea. By the way, has anyone tested in v1.4.8 yet?

Edited by todaytonight (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, great module.

Here is another feature request:

In my case, I sell watches, sunglasses, wallets etc. So if somebody adds a watch to a cart, I would like to suggest a wallet or sunglasses but NOT another watch. Etc, etc. I don't mind editing the file manually myself. So it should be based first on the cart contents: don't suggest the same products already in the cart and don't show products from the same categories of the products already in the cart.

• 2 weeks later...

hey gdinari, great little mod.

hey francesc, i replaced the original tpl file with yours and the es.php file as well but it is still not translating in the spanish version of my site.

any ideas?

thanks,

jer...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really useful module but in 1.5.4 I found some bugs:

• it messes up the layout of the Featured Products module on homepage.
  • in cart, all the recommended products show in a single column, rather than horizintal line.

Edited by qbicdesign (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for module, works fine, but i have a problem.

If you are in cart's page and add to cart one product, the product add's to basket, but dont display in list of products in cart's page. It's necesary reload the page for see the products.

Anyone can say me how resolve this?

Thanks!