Sequence of Taxes - need help <SOLVED>

Hi there all. We are having some formating issues of our checkout. Basically we are wanting the following to happen in the shopping cart summary:

Total Products = the retail total of the products WITHOUT any tax being added to this line item.

(Is there any way to have tax calculated without having to have a tax assoiated to each product indiviually, is there a way to have the tax calculated from this line but not added to it?)

Total Tax = the tax for the line item above. We only charge tax to local (invoived in same state customers)

Total Shipping = no problems here, seems ok.

Total (tax excl) = remove because it is basically the same as total products above.

Total (in box) = all the beautiful math working out and what is forwarded to the payment processor.

We find it confusing to our customers to have tax calculated on the total products line items in the total products line. We haven't tried vouchers yet to see how that shows up but will soon.

We have gone up and down the forum threads looking for a simple BO solution. Hopefully somebody can point us in the right direction or provide a simple code change?

New install of 1.5.2 - first time users

Thanks all.

Edited by dsgnmind (see edit history)

The only way i know of is to add the tax rule to each product during entry.

If you add tax to the products as you enter them , only customers from that State will be charged tax.

if you want to be sure go to Localization, taxes and disable all states but yours.

You can remove the Total (tax excl) line by editing Shopping-cart.tpl located in the themes folder.

Remove this section around line 167:

<tr class="cart_total_price">

<td colspan="5">{l s='Total (tax excl.):'}</td>

<td colspan="2" class="price" id="total_price_without_tax">{displayPrice price=$total_price_without_tax}</td>

</tr>

I hope I answered your questions.

Thanks tdr170 for your response to eliminating the Total (tax excl) line item. This helps. We did figure out that the best way to get the tax right was to eliminate all other countries and states and keep one and only one tax rule for local (same state) residents. We only ship to US and Canada anyways.

What we want is basically for the checkout to read the same way a US sales receipt would read.

Total Products>Tax>Non-taxable(Shipping)=total. We have had a few inputs from people and all agree that this would be the best way to have the shopping cart checkout display. To go against the norm confused people.

Since the last post we have played around with the voucher which is taking a discount off the total - including the tax. We find this strange. Only the reduced total should be taxed. Not 20% off the products and their tax. For instance if voucher is 20% off $100 = $80 then $80 is taxed.

Has anybody else been successful in getting their shopping cart to display this way or know how it can easily be done? Is the shopping_cart.tpl file the only file where this change would need to take place?

I just did some testing ona 1.5.2 site of mine and the voucher discount tax seems correct,

Amount----500

Discount ---10%

Total--------450

Tax----------27 (6%)

shipping 10.67

Total-----=487.67

So I take it you want the shipping below the tax line, take a look at the shopping cart.tpl file and move the code.

Edited by tdr170 (see edit history)

Yes... it seems to calculate the product line item ok, just that with tax enabled it adds tax to the product first and then the voucher comes off the product+tax combo. So I guess it comes down to HOW do we show the product (Total Products) total without the tax added? If we turn the tax on - the clients see the costs of the products with tax on the products page - which is confusing to them because its not the pricing they are use to.

What we want is this:

Product: ($5.00 x 20) $100

Total Voucher (20%): -$20

Total (tax excl) $80 (probably will rename Sub-total through translations)

Tax (local only 6.60%) $5.28

Shipping: $9.50

Total: $94.78

What we get is this:

Product: ($5.33 x 20) $106.60

Total Voucher: -$21.32

Total Shipping: $9.50

Total (tax excl): $89.50

Total tax: $5.28

Total: $94.78

which while the math works out the display and sequence has everybody spending 2 min to figure it out. And it seems to all come down to the products being displayed with the tax. And because the tax is completely associated to each product - we just want to add the tax to the local customer at the end.

Yes, I have noticed this in another issue, do not have tax included in the price as in US this is not the norm, this can be changed in Customer-groups.

You can only enable one or the other as, if you have tax included in price under customer groups and tax enabled under taxes the tax will be added to the tax included price.

OK. Update on this issue.

I have removed the Total (tax excl.) from the shopping cart summary (shopping_cart.tpl) and successfully moved the blocks around as previously stated so that the shopping cart summary shows as:

Total Products:

Tax:

Shipping:

and the correct total shown in the larger box.

The vouchers when used are also appearing correctly.

NOW - we are good so far with this but in playing with our different made up user accounts have noticed that there is no option for having a tax exempt customer. I came across this thread. Anybody else have success in creating a tax exempt group without purchasing a module. That thread is for an earlier version so I'm not certain in trying it out on 1.5.2