Virtual file disappeared

I sell downloads and use a custom theme with PS 1.5.2.0

When I enter a title and fill in all data and upload/link a file everything seems to be OK. But after a while (I don't know when it happens) I check the linked file in the BO and suddenly it doesn't have a virtual download anymore. On the tab 'virtual file' it says: Does this product has a virtual file?: NO ...

And I can't fill in the file name, because I get an error 'file not found'. And I have to upload the file again. Can't find out when this happens.

Please help me....

Yes I understand. And I even can't find some similar problems on the forum. So I guess I have to rely on others (experts) with this. It really sucks because when somebody buy a product, it is possible that the don't get the file what they paid for..... I have to fix it asap... :-(

Yes I understand. And I even can't find some similar problems on the forum. So I guess I have to rely on others (experts) with this. It really sucks because when somebody buy a product, it is possible that the don't get the file what they paid for..... I have to fix it asap... :-(

I certainly understand that...I only sell virtual products myself...when you get that fixed you should start buying ccTLDs and use multishop....it's perfect for shops selling virtual products....then your SEO for your main market countries goes way up..now you compete with all .com's...globally...ave maria pues (omg)

I think I got the problem. This morning I checked every test product again and everything was cool.

So I assume that it has nothing to do with cron-jobs. After that I edit 'test 1' (added a short description) and the link was gone. On the tab I see 'Is this a virtual product? - NO' again. So the link with the file is lost again........

It seems that when I edit a product again, the virtual download tab seems to be reset.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem. I think it happens when I edit the associations. If I click on Virtual Product (to make sure file is still linked) then go and make changes, it seems to still be there. Otherwise, next time I edit the product, and click on Virtual Product,

Does this product have an associated file? , is set back to NO.

Also, if I click on the Virtual Product tab and make no changes, but save it anyway, instead of clicking "Back to list" the virtual file is assigned a new link, so I get the error that the file is missing.

In both cases, the files are still in my Downloads when I check in CPanel File Manager.

PS 1.5.3.1

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the exact same issue. Also does any one know why if an item is set up for virutual product and you purchase it, an email doesnt follow after checkout with the link to the product? I'm very new and trying to figure this out on my own and man I am getting frusturated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

New fresh install of 1.5.6.1 (since the upgrade from 1.5.6.0 failed so miserabily) 

Other version info is..

Server information

Server information: Linux #1 SMP Wed Mar 27 16:49:32 MSK 2013 i686

Server software version: Apache/2.2.25 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.25 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

PHP version: 5.3.27

Memory limit: 96M

Max execution time: 60

Database information

MySQL version: 5.1.70-cll

MySQL engine: InnoDB

I've been experiencing this problem with both the previous version 1.5.6.0 and now this new install of 1.5.6.1.  After entering several virtual products I find that when I go back to look at products there is no download file associated with them.  The main product page shows that it is a "Virtual Product" but when I click on the virtual product tab it's a blank window with the "is there a file associated" question currently showing NO as the choice. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to which products are affected by this.  I can go down the list and maybe one day the first 2 products have lost their file association and the rest are fine and the next day it might be product 7 and 8.

I'm able to select YES and upload a file without any problem but I've learn that there is no gaurantee it will be there the next time I go look at it.

So frustrating.  I"ve not got 51 products added to my store and every time someone orders a product it's not there so far.  I keep looking at my products and usually they seem fine.  It's so annoyingly random!  I still have another 40 products to add which is a bit time consuming as you can imagine.  But I don't want to have spent all this time adding products only to find that I can't live with a shopping program that constantly forgets where it put the product files.  Anyone out there got some help?  Please?

P.S. I did try maniT4C's solution above without success.maniT4c

Edited by lynbbor (see edit history)

Just now I got what may be a clue to what is going on with the software.  I was checking my products and finding missing virtual products that were fine yesterday.  I decided to just provide the original filename instead of using the select a file button.  After entering the filename and clicking on "save and stay" I got the following.

This file "020_head_shop_manual.pdf" is missing. :
/home/kwadmin1/public_html/om/download//20806aae40205321782c783954faaf85ae8270c4

Notice after the folder name "download" there are two forward slashes?  That file will never be found like that.

OK, more info in case anyone is interested.  I used PHPmyAdmin to have a look at the database.  Specifically the table ps_products_download and found many duplicate entries and several entries missing the download filename and most entries with the "active" field set to 0.  (off in my mind).  So I began a clean up operation.  Removing duplicate records keeping the oldest and also using FTP to verify filename field entry matched a file on the server in the /download folder.  Once that was done for my existing 50 products, I started adding new products again.

So far I have entered 6 more virtual products without the table becoming messed up.  The only thing that I've done differently was to avoid the SAVE button.  My process exactly has been to create the product description(s) and then click the "Save and Stay" button.  Then select the Virtual Product radio button, choose the file, then (without saving) select the Image menu choice on the left, upload the image, then work my way up through the left menu filling out as I go still without clicking on any SAVE or Save and Stay button.  When I'm back at the top of the menu and have no more data to enter for this product I click on the Virtual Product menu choice on the left and see the screen just as I left it and now I click the SAVE and STAY button to record everything.  I wait patiently for the button menu across to completely render and lastly click the BACK to LIST button.  

I then check the table via PHPmyAdmin.  So far, doing this has worked.  At this point I don't know if the SAVE button was causing the problem or if the fact that the table had duplicate entries was the problem.  But it would seem that one of those two is likely.  I will provide more info here as I learn more.

BTW, I'm not a programmer, but I have been in a past life.  I have 25 years experience working with desktop computers and computer networks.  I've also run my own hosting company for the last 15 years and installed and troubleshot many many many cgi scripts.  So my avatar says it all, I'm a grunt out here in the field of Web doing battle against all the bugs and hackers.. LOL...

Thanks for this feedback.  I have experienced the same issue and never spent time trying to figure it out.  I reviewed my db table and I also see a few duplicate records where the filename is blank. 

I also usually click save after the upload, so wonder if that is causing an issue.  Would be nice to have reproducable steps, so a bug report could be opened.

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting in,  Since changing my method to how I previously described in this thread I've added over 30 more virtual products without any disappearing on me.  It certainly seems that if you avoid clicking on the SAVE icon and just use the "Save and Stay" and "Back to List" icons everything works as it should.  I'd sure like to know if anyone else has tried this and if it worked or not for them.

• 4 months later...

Just now I got what may be a clue to what is going on with the software.  I was checking my products and finding missing virtual products that were fine yesterday.  I decided to just provide the original filename instead of using the select a file button.  After entering the filename and clicking on "save and stay" I got the following.

This file "020_head_shop_manual.pdf" is missing. :

/home/kwadmin1/public_html/om/download//20806aae40205321782c783954faaf85ae8270c4

Notice after the folder name "download" there are two forward slashes?  That file will never be found like that.

I have same problem ( selling digital images ). Ive tried same thing and found out, that missing file: ce720a11de58b3a2b7b71b4554009f9263da86b7 

does not correspond with file which is saved on actual server in "download"folder. 

Basically that "token" or what ever they call that long code number , is changing in BO database ( or script ? ) for some reason after while. Thats why it cant find a file. 

If u look in on your server in folder -download - u can see all your files u've uploaded ( u can recognize them only by size comparing what u actually have on your HD in your comp, because on server after upload they don't keep any extension - in your case  ***.pdf ) but with different token number. I have most of them doubled, coz I was uploading it all again, though that was my mistake at the 1st time:-(

So I guess solution for that is find a way, how to tell PS in BO ( or override in in your SQL database probably ) correct token number to the file. 

The question is how long its going to stay ?

What causing the random changing?

It could be caused by making some changes ( like add new group, etc ) which changes ( re-number ) order of products?

I also stuck in this and cant open my online shop yet:-(

• 4 months later...

Touching base after much time with this problem.  It continues to haunt me.  Each time I think I have resolved it the next customer to make a purchase can't download the file.  It is very annoying.  On a different site I attempted to upgrade to the latest version of Presta and it totally broke the install.  So very frustrating.  I've worked with shopping cart programs and all kinds of PHP scripts and web apps over the years.  I have to say that PrestaShop does not seem to be ready for prime time use.  It lacks reliability and the developement seems to be more about getting new features out the door than making sure everything is stable.  I've given it more chances than any other program in my past because I really like the look and the features, but it's been a maintenance nightmare from the beginning with no sign of it getting better for me.  At this point I'm wishing I had installed Zen-Cart or OScommerce instead because that's the amount of work I'm going to have to go through again to get something stable.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did anybody add this bug tu the Bug-Tracker - I could not find it there.

No, I do not believe so because there are not clear steps to reproduce the problem.  I had the problem too, but it does not always happen, even when performing the exact same steps.

If you have exact steps and you can reproduce the problem 100% of the time, then feel free to submit the bug report.

Ive got the same issue, Ive been pulling my hair out for days trying to work out why my virtual product emails suddenly stopped sending then I realised it was because there is no file there anymore! Im running the latest version of prestashop 1.6 and have just spent $100s on modules and themes and suddenly my core business doesn't work!?! I remember with prestashop 1.3 every now and again a product upload disappeared but it was pretty rare. This seems to be on nearly every file. 

Someone raised it as an issue on the prestashop Facebook page a few months ago so I put a note on there too and pointed this thread out to preastashop. They told me it was probably my hosting providers servor performances. 

It is the same host Ive had with prestashop for 4-5 years and its only this latest version that seems to delete files every week. 1.4 maybe did one or two a year which was odd but not really an issue. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem occurs any time there is an error with the product in BO. To recreate this try creating a product with a virtual file (confirm its saved), then go back and edit it removing all the associated categories until you get the error message that you must have an associated category, correct and save. Then go back and see if the virtual product file is still there, it should now be removed.

If someone tries please report back with your findings

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem occurs any time there is an error with the product in BO. To recreate this try creating a product with a virtual file (confirm its saved), then go back and edit it removing all the associated categories until you get the error message that you must have an associated category, correct and save. Then go back and see if the virtual product file is still there, it should now be removed.

If someone tries please report back with your findings

I'm on the latest version and seem to lose my virtual products associated file when I edit the product and chnage an attribute like the price. It;s very annoying and I'm desparate for a solution to this one.

• 2 months later...

Unless you notify Prestashop using their Forge, do not expect this issue to magically solve itself. 

Right, because that would require the makers of PrestaShop to actually test and pay attention to what people using their product are saying about it.  Their bug reporting process is so tight that if you can't describe a process that produces the bug 100% of the time then their immediate response is "it must be your Hosting Company" or Your configuration or something on your end.  So go away and stop bothering us.  We have new and exciting features to add and more fun things to do that try and chase down a ghost that only a small number of people are ranting about in the forum.  They obviously just don't know what they are doing and we don't have the resources to do anything for them. Thanks for trying PrestaShop and we are sorry it's not working out for you.  Buh Bye now.

FYI, I have encountered this same bug in another shopping cart program that is of a similar design to PrestaShop.  Makes me wonder if either they are forks from a single source or, more likely they both use the same coding environment or library that has this bug in it.  In any case, I've now learned to do a basic setup and test test test before committing any more time than necessary on setup of any shopping cart program.  

It's really frustrating because I do like a lot of things about PrestaShop.  It think it is one of the best when it comes to SEO and marketing.  But it's not ready to be used for virtual products and likely won't be any time soon.  sad..

• 1 month later...

Hi,
PS 1.6.0.9 - same problem. After deleting virtual product I was not able add new file. (File uploaded to download directory, but not saved in BO).
I found similar problem here, and this solve my problem:

Deleting everything (using FTP client) in /cache directory except index.php files and my problem was solved. :)

• 7 months later...