Implementing my own theme in 1.5.2.0

Hi There, I'm interested in implementing a design I've started from Photoshop into Prestashop and wanted to know the best way about doing it.

The tutorials I've found are on older versions of PS so I'm not sure if things have changed since then or not. I have already copied the default theme, renamed it, and understand which directory applies to what.

What I don't understand is how to write my own CSS/Mark-up in relation to Smarty. Can I just write regular HTML like I would in a notepad file or do I need to add something additional? Do I need to know PHP to create my own DESIGN? I'm happy with the Presta functionality I just need to modify the design big time.

And could I change the DOCTYPE to HTML5 or does it have to be xhtml? Any replies would be greatly appreciated ..

*edit: Also could I use my own background-image?

Edited by LivingstonStorm (see edit history)

Hello, the first thing i would do is to go in to your admin/Advanced Parameters > Performance and tick, "Force compilation"and turn off the cache so that you can see the changes you are doing to your new files. Most of the changes is done to, global.css ,header.tpl, and a few other main files in your new theme folder

If you are good at css you will probably be able to do most of the changes with out going to deep in to the codes. By using css positions you will be able to place your images almost anywere, the framework of Prestashop is impressive and they have tought of almost everything.

You can use regular HTML in the .tpl files but if you need to add your own features and functions you have to go Smarty, Smarty is a huge part of Prestashop and a way to keep the codes from the visuals. Basicly you have a .php file with all the PHP codes and then the .tpl file in front of that .php files for all the visuals. Smarty is a steep but rewarding learning curve and not for everyone, i have created templates for osCommerce since 2004 and 2009 i decided to work with prestashop, as a regular php and HTML coder i found Smarty really hard to learn I gave up about 3 times untill i got it, now i love it.

So, If you are happy with the functions you wont need to know any advanced php or smarty, but i recommend you to read a smarty crash course just to under stand whats going on, you will have to move around the existing smarty tags to get it where you want. As a developer i would suggest you to:

Only work in your Theme folder

Add as much as you can in your css files

Read about how to "Override files"

Read about Smarty just to understand the logic

Slice your PDF in a smart way so that you can add them to your CSS files

and keep it simple.

Im not sure if i helped or scared you, i do this all day and i have forgot how it was when i was new to all this ;)

/Janne

Edited by Mindsparx (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yeah, and my back office won't load in Firefox + IE, only Opera and Chrome .. when I try entering my info into the fields the form submits but brings me back to the sign in page with the fields still filled in.

And I was able to save to my new theme which is strange ... just nothing in the performance section .. I'm thinking it may be a permission issue?

Edited by LivingstonStorm (see edit history)