[Solved] Theming modules

Ok, I refuse to believe that software that started on the blueprint bench just a few years ago has to be themed by changing Smarty .tpl and CSS files that are inside modules source subtree.

So could you please point me to a sane, non-destructive, update-friendly way to theme module rendering and related CSS? All I see in my theme folder (I made a duplicate of default) are things that by the looks of it belong to the very core of the software, whereas the default theme calls css and tpl files from the depths of the module tree (or so it seems).

Edited by bmarkovic (see edit history)

I've found this post in the forum, in case someone comes up to my post first:

Have you tried to export theme and modules with Import/export module that comes default with Prestashop ?

If you changed just css and tpl files, then you need to create modules folder within your theme.

Then for example, to override homefeatured module, you need to create homefeatured folder there

and place homefeatured.tpl within. So path to that file will be your_theme/modules/homefeatured/homefeatured.tpl.

Similar for modules css files, check your_theme/css/modules folder.

Also check this tutorial and maybe check structure of new prestashop default theme .

and this blog post:

http://www.prestadb.com/prestashop-module-overrides-tutorial/

It would be great if this got into documentation somehow.