Is this seriously how themes are handled?

I've had my eyes opened to just how badly PretaShop handles themes. I have a PrestaShop 1.4.8 build and bought a theme from TemplateMonster originally made for PrestaShop 1.4.2

I was amazed that installing the theme changed the database structure reverting some tables back to v1.4.2 (thus causing crashes on screens that were trying to update columns that now didn't exist), and replaced swathes of source code back to 1.4.2 thus re-introducing old bugs.

A theme is a just a *graphical skin*, so why drag some old DB structure and PHP code along with it? Surely there's a better way?

Does PrestaShop 1.5 do a better job of this?

I've had my eyes opened to just how badly PretaShop handles themes. I have a PrestaShop 1.4.8 build and bought a theme from TemplateMonster originally made for PrestaShop 1.4.2

I was amazed that installing the theme changed the database structure reverting some tables back to v1.4.2 (thus causing crashes on screens that were trying to update columns that now didn't exist), and replaced swathes of source code back to 1.4.2 thus re-introducing old bugs.

A theme is a just a *graphical skin*, so why drag some old DB structure and PHP code along with it? Surely there's a better way?

Does PrestaShop 1.5 do a better job of this?

Hi the fault is that you use prestashop 1.4.8.2 and tried a theme that is made for prestashop 1.4.2.X

some themes will work some others not , but the most ,,, not

it is like to put an engine from an corvette into an toyota :)

the theme self doesn't do anything to your database < try just manual install >

in many themes are modules installed and yups these are working with the database

and as you know , you installed an theme 1.4.2 so the modules are also possible written for that version

ok some modules still work , and other not

so i think the theme you bought has also some installed modules and so on and

when you use autoinstaller some parts from your database will be overwritten otherwise these modules wont work ,,

everything is written in the Config.xml , so you can see before what is going to change when you use auto installer

Edited by maconl (see edit history)

Hi Maconl and thank you for commenting on my post.

I like your analogy of a car though I think I might put it this way:

It's like I wanted to get my Ferrari* repainted from red to yellow, but I am told by the garage that in order to repaint my car, they would also need to remove the Ferrari engine and replace it with a Toyota engine.

It's obviously the wrong way to go about what should be a mere visual change.

But that's life and I don't see anyone else complaining about this issue on the forums so guess it's not a big deal to everyone else. I'm not having a go at a PrestaShop as I am a huge fan, but certainly it would be good if in the future changing a theme wasn't so dependent on a specific version of the shop engine.

Long live PrestaShop!

* Unfortunately I do not own a Ferrari :(

Hi Maconl and thank you for commenting on my post.

I like your analogy of a car though I think I might put it this way:

It's like I wanted to get my Ferrari* repainted from red to yellow, but I am told by the garage that in order to repaint my car, they would also need to remove the Ferrari engine and replace it with a Toyota engine.

It's obviously the wrong way to go about what should be a mere visual change.

But that's life and I don't see anyone else complaining about this issue on the forums so guess it's not a big deal to everyone else. I'm not having a go at a PrestaShop as I am a huge fan, but certainly it would be good if in the future changing a theme wasn't so dependent on a specific version of the shop engine.

Long live PrestaShop!

* Unfortunately I do not own a Ferrari :(

Hi hahaha

i know what you mean ,and understand completely your point

but the fact for a lot themes is just

some theme builders build a theme , some with and some without modules to give some extra's to an theme

like an slider module , or navigation bar ,

on the time they build an theme as example 2010 and just relased prestashop version 1.3

so they build the theme and use some modules written for that version

ofcourse prestashop presents also everytime a new update,

like other programmers do to refresh it ans sometimes also for security reasons

like time changes and also a lot on the internet , and somehow is it neccessary to change prestashop time by time

and so the php files need to be rewritten for that part and reason

the tpl files <in a theme> is an combination to show some of the php files and so also the tpl files has to be changed in this case

thats why the themes arent sometimes compatable with other versions

and indeed sofar i know no one has some issues with this , and ok sometimes it is to bad

you see a nice theme and think yessss this si the one and seems to be for an older or newer version

anyway hope i informed you about the why's :)

btw about painting , you can change the colors from prestashop without any problems for your database

but a new them you can compare it as "pimp my ride" haha so not only the color but also the stereo , wheels and so on haha geezz what an comparing :lol:

* well don't worry me neither , don't have even an corvette , hahaha

Edited by maconl (see edit history)